Thread: RedTek air condition replacement

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 6 Days 15 Hrs 10 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs

RedTek air condition replacement

I need to top/up replace the air conditioner fluid/gas in a 98 Tahoe and was wondering if i could use this RedTek stuff that CT sells. any experience in using this stuff, good or bad. need advise before i make the plunge.
    89 YJ, 4.0 HO, 999 Auto, Twin Sticked D300, SOA, Full width 5:38 D60 front ARB, 5:38 full float D60 rear Detriot, 35 spline shafts, disc brakes all round, aluminum rockers, cage mounted racing seats, custom dash, tilt /quick disconnect steering, 39.5 TSLs on hummer wheels with double bead locks, full hydro steering, hydro boost brakes, 8274 w/synthetic rope, CJ front clip & tail gate, Custom Olive Green Paint Job !

Time Online: 1 Mth 14 Hrs 25 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 31 Secs
    Once that stuff is in no real AC guy will touch your truck. If you want a top up let me know I can help you out.
    07 Commander 5.7L Hemi

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Last year I was considering using that on my pickup and was reading the procedures for using this stuff on their website - it appears that you need to vacuum all the regular refrigerant out first because you can't mix them, so for the first time, it would be just as expensive as getting your system topped up with whatever version of freon is in your system now.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 6 Days 15 Hrs 10 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    I had a leak in the plumbing going to the rear AC and have cut them and terminated them. i am guessing i have no freon or whatever that should be in it anymore. It is now a complete fill. CJ5Steve: PM me details and i will bring the truck round your way. thx.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    If CJSteve can't help ya out, I'm in the shop on Tuesday and can do it too. Guelph and Mainway area.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 3 Days 10 Hrs 8 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Secs
    I have been using Redtek for 3 years, I didnt vacuum the system I mixed gases even put in Durracool when CT was out. The molecules are smaller and it will leak out over the winter but it only costs me $20 per year. I added a schrader valve to my guage so I can pressurize with air to test the system for leaks or the clutch. It is colder than R134A but doesnt seem to last but I have less money into it in 3 years than 1 service. My $0.02

Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 8 Hrs 17 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins
    ya I've used that stuff too but in the big fire extinguisher size on the big truck, It worked great. Make sure you don't over pressurize your system.

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 51 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 44 Secs
    Ive used it....you can mix it with either R12 or R134a....the biggest thing that is different is that it is Propane based...now some people don't like the idea of propane being in there system...but I don't think there is any danger to it cause propane injection has been around a very long time and the propane that would be in the RedTeck would be so minut that I wouldn't think it could possibly ignite or whatever....
    My 2cents...stuff works..its cheaper and you can do it yourself and its better than nothing..lol
    They call me Monkey cause I'm the silver back of the bunch
    87 XJ Lifted with stuff(Zombie Apocalypse Edition)
    87 YJ Lifted with stuff(Wifes)Mall Edition
    99 Ram Toy Hauler Edition
    OF4WD Member 5275 www.4-lo.ca

Time Online: 2 Hrs 18 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    If you use this stuff then you never know where the leak is. I think your best bet is to ask around a bit and find someone to top up your system and add a little trace dye. Sometimes all you need to repair a leak is to tighten a connection.

Also please do not use compressed air to leak test your system. The oil in your system is hygroscopic and will turn water (even vapor) into acid inside your system. Then you have a big problem as it will eat the inside of your compressor. The sad part is after your compressor blows up you'll put a new one in and the acid will still be there and start destroying the new one too. If you'd like to do some pressure testing, the best bet is to use nitrogen. In either case, your going to want to evacuate your system by pulling it into a vacuum once your ready to charge.