Thread: Toyota Celica Burning Oil

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 5 Hrs 11 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 24 Secs

Toyota Celica Burning Oil

So my girlfriend is lookign at a 2000 Toyota Celica but we just found out it is burning a tiny bit of oil...

what causes this? what repairs are needed??

any info is appreciated, thanks
    No fingers, no toes, she doesn't own elbows,
    No phalanges no knobby knees to knock.
    She don't need knuckles or hands to go see punk rock bands, She's always in the stands, she's nubs

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 50 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 5 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunham View Post
    what causes this? what repairs are needed??
    What causes it is improper maintainance intervals or driving it to the redline like a boy-ricer jackass (combination of the two is the worst and most likely cause).

How many kilometers are on this thing? Usually burning oil is attributed to worn piston rings or valves/seals.

Another cause can be a screwed headgasket causing the oil to leak into the coolant or into the cylinders. <- This could be due to mileage/age as well.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 58 Secs
    Toyota uses a very similar system to Honda's VTEC called VVTi. In the upper rev ranges it is very common due to vale over lap to burn a little bit of oil. Typically a Honda will go through .5 to 1 litre of oil in between oil change intervals. With more spirited driving this can be even higher.
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

the car only has 160k....

we got diagnostic check done at part source and was told the injectors could be dirty or the fuel filter is clogged....

thanks

My Mood
    Amused
    ^lol that will not cause burning oil.

oh shittt, sorrrrry, im losing my mind today, i forgot to add that the check engine light was on and the codes that came up meant the engine was running rich.....

My Mood
    Amused
    ^what codes exactly came up?

i didnt write them down. ill head back to PS and get it done again

alright so i guess part source does not check your engine light... the kid must have been a new guy...

i think my buddy has one of those scanners so ill check with him

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    1) Burning oil in those Celicas (1ZZ and 2ZZ) are usually stuck rings from lack of oil changes. Toyota's NEEEEEED their oil changes done regularly. That's how you get the big miles outta them (well, out of anything really). If this one is, RUN.

If you want a Celica then that's fine, but if you're looking at buying a car there's a lot better for the money. They don't do anything particularly well, and visibility is not good. The engine room is cramped so maintenance like belts and coolant flushes are a big PITA. Tune ups are easy... but you'll go through 3 belts before the 192k plugs. I think it's 192k for the plugs.. I'd have to check. Anyway, if you're looking as sporty cars, keep looking. This from a former Toyota mechanic who's got nothing but Toyota's in his driveway.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

thanks for the info Noltz

BUT she did end up getting a 2000 Celica gt! It doesnt burn oil but it is reving high.. When she first starts it up, its reving around 1500rpms then once warm it drops to 800-950, usually.

Now i read that cleaning the throttle body and the Idle Air Control Valve will fix this.....

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

oh and i think shes going to end up cleaning the car up a bit and try and make some money off it

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    My shop foreman at Toyota told me the flare up is a normal condition and is because the IAC's go wide open on shutdown. They'll come down faster with a clean IAC, but we're told NOT to mention it because the condition will return after it junks up again. "Just explain it's a normal situation, and show the customer the same symptom on another car".

Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 13 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    1) Burning oil in those Celicas (1ZZ and 2ZZ) are usually stuck rings from lack of oil changes. Toyota's NEEEEEED their oil changes done regularly. That's how you get the big miles outta them (well, out of anything really). .
    Funny / coincidence you'd say that... Think you're right on the $ there and perhaps their engineering gurus concur - we just picked up a Pontiac Vibe, 2.4L 5 Spd (a.k.a. Matrix > Camry) and I was shocked to see that Toyota wants 5K intervals on the oil changes, and 0W20 at that (owners manual). WTF is with the 5K oil changes on a technologically advanced 2010 engine these days? Geez the Pontiac G6 we traded in (Opel 2.2L) spec'd out 10K intervals on conventional 5W30 oil with the same crankcase capacity.

Now I'm all for 5K oil changes on anything of course - especially something this easy to do myself but... yikes - can't understand the difference there between motors that are pretty close in design. And 0W30 too, that ain't on the shelves but I'm sure 5W20 is close enough.

So I dunno... maybe Mr. Toyota feels the same NEEEEEED as you or he's in bed with the oil companies!

i just cleaned the IACV and the throttle body the other day.. when the car first starts it revs around 1400-1500rpms but when its warm it revs at 800rpms!!!

so i think it helped out quite a bit