Thread: Ford 5.0L Engine Problems

Time Online: 1 Day 5 Hrs 34 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs

Ford 5.0L Engine Problems

Hello, I recently had problems with my 5L engine in my 1991 f-150. i had some one look at it and judging from the oil in the air filter he jumped to the rings being worn. but just the other day some one mentioned the PCV valve. What does the valve do and would it cause loss of power and some miss fireing? and just maybe 5000KMs before this happend i had the engine out to replace the bearings so would having it upside down screw up that valve with all the oil going to it? thanks, Matt
    Keep the wheels turnin

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    PCV, or Positive Crankcase Ventilation, is a metered amount of engine vacuum that's used to draw crankcase vapours out and burn them. If you didn't remove the valve, then it's possible some oil has become trapped in it. IIRC, it's in the drivers side rocker cover, but I"m not 100% (sold mine YEARS ago). A clogged PCV can cause gasket blowouts, but not really a loss of power. If it were stuck open, then you'd be burning a lot more oil vapour than Ford intended - and you'd have fouled plugs.

My Ford have ALWAYS saturated their air filters with blowby oil. Had an '87 and a '92 F150's, both 5.0 autos. There's a small sponge-like material that sits in a little slot in the bottom of the air box. It's supposed to absorb any oil that get's blown up the vent line (it supplies clean air for the engine to draw in while the PCV draws out the "dirty" air from the crankcase). Always dirty, replaced it yearly.

I'd pull a few plugs and see if they're fouled first, then decide if it's the PCV system that's at fault. The valve itself is about $5 from crappy. If you find it, remove it and giv'er a shake. If it rattled freely and CLICKS, it's fine. If it THUDS, or feels like it's landing softly, replace it.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 1 Day 5 Hrs 34 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    awesome thanks