Thread: Rancho Rear bumper/ Tire carrier install and review

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 8 Hrs 6 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs

Rancho Rear bumper/ Tire carrier install and review

Hey everyone,

I recently had some issues with the spot welds on my rear tailgate from my 35 inch tire. It was time to upgrade, and I went the cheap route, but who cares why. The main thing is I did my research and landed on the rancho bumper. I had some concerns going into it, but for the price, I thought I could make it work, and it seems I was right.

First off, before I go into the install and everything, heres the culprit, my 2010 Wrangler Sport.

So, after removing the front bumper and stock tire carrier, I found the bumper portion to go on very easily. (I failed to take pictures of the process, but it is idiot proof)

The bumper uses the four stock holes on the outside of the frame rails, and requires some drilling into the rear cross member. All in all it took about 20 minutes for the bumper portion. The bumper was well made and fit snug over the frame rails.

The tire carrier was not as easy or carefree to install. I pressed in the bushing and installed the carrier with supplied long bolt. The fit between the bolt and bushing was an interference fit, and I had to hammer the bolt through, resulting in the threads to deform, making it very difficult to get the nut on the end. The bushing on the latch side did not line up with the holes drilled for the latch pin to slide through, so I had to drill my own straight path for proper locking of the carrier. After those two problems were addressed, the remainder of the install went without a hitch, so overall I was happy.

After i installed the spare, which barely fit flush even with the provided spacer (I am using the stock rims with 35's) I proceeded to open and close the carrier. When I close the carrier, I have to lift up slightly due to the weight of the tire, but that does not bother me. Overall I am happy with the install.

After driving for a few days with this set up, it became ever so apparent that in rain, 6 foot rooster tails resulted from the lack of a bumper or anything for that matter behind the rear wheels.

As we all know, stock rear bumpers are a dime a dozen, so I dug out the sawzall and went to work.

What I came up with were essentially endcaps, and kept the bottom inch of the bumper for added support. I thought it turned out great, and it will definately keep the police off my back.

Here are the pics and the rims were painted black before this install so the jeep looks a little different.

Andrew
    -OlllllllO-

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 26 Secs
    Looks good to me!

Time Online: 3 Wks 5 Days 18 Hrs 33 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 12 Secs
    I think carrier looks good and i like the wheels to. What kind of paint did you use to paint them?

Time Online: 7 Mths 4 Days 31 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 39 Secs
    looks good

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 8 Hrs 6 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    LOL Thanks guys

I used Duplicolour semi gloss rim paint for my rims. Painted the inside and out, used three cans with about 6 coats per rim. I have used this paint before and it lasts if you take your time and prep the rims.

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 2 Hrs 53 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    looking at installing this bumper in about a month,
    now that some time has passed how do you like it?
    07 JKU - Jeep Green

"Jeep is America's only real sports car." -Enzo Ferrari

OF4WD # 7386