Thread: DD problem - '96 Dodge 5.2 Starting Problem

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 2 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs

Question DD problem - '96 Dodge 5.2 Starting Problem

Hope someone here will be able to help, as it's the same engine in the grand..

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V8...

The truck runs fine when it runs - but intermittantly it won't start. Cranks over like mad but doesn't start. I'm pretty sure that i'm not getting any spark. There is fuel pressure. It's not even trying, it's not kinda starting, it's spinning the starter and that's it.

If I leave it alone for 5 minutes or so, eventually it MIGHT start... There is no definitive timeline. It will eventually start, and when it does, it's fine. The truck never dies while it's running, it runs fine.. Just this starting problem.

Any thoughts?
    ----------------------
    Justin
    2012 Subaru WRX STi
    1996 Dodge RAM 1500
    2009 CAN-AM Outlander 650 MAX XT

Time Online: 2 Days 11 Hrs 55 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Secs
    Assuming that you meant the engine is turning over with the starter? Not just the starter motor spinning.

I can only think of the obvious stuff to check:

Check for Spark, if no spark check:

Make sure the ground strap from the negative battery post the the body is in good shape. My strap (braided wire) had corroded away to nothing and shut down my Jeep, but frustratingly allowed me to roll the engine over on the starter.

Auto Shut Down Relay (is there power to the coil and fuel pump when the key is on?)

Crank Position Sensor,

Cam Shaft Sensor (I don't know if it is on the head or in the distributer?) <--I just had the same problem with a 96 ZJ and it was corrosion on the camshaft position sensor connector.

Check for fuel

Fuel system (quick check would be a spray bottle with fuel into the intake)

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Travis; 10-06-2010 at 11:38 PM.
    WAIT! don't cut that...that's a load bearing zip tie

Time Online: 1 Day 12 Hrs 2 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Secs
    No spark is the problem..

I'll check that negative lead.. Interesting you say that, as I have replaced the battery recently and done some other electrical related work. Perhaps i'll install a new ground just in case.

ASD Relay - interesting. I'll check that.

Cran kand Cam sensors -- is there any way to check those really without replacing?

Fuel -- nope, not it, the plugs get wet during the cranking, and i already tried quickstart, that's when i checked for spark.

Thanks much.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    If it's getting we then it's not the ASD relay. ASD sends power to the fuel pump too. My next step here would be a live-data scanner so you can see the cranking RPM & confirm the CKP signal. If there's a cam signal, it might still spray fuel but not spark (cam turns at 1/2 speed... computer can't use it to set timing).
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 5 Secs
    even if u say its got fuel i wouldnt bank on it, fuel pump relay
    Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain

Yer hot, wet, and extremely satisfying. You always put a smile on my face and yer the first thing i want in my mouth when i wake up....aaaaaahhhhhh Coffee, my only friend.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs
    It's a cheap test, and you should carry a spare ASD relay anyway.

Time Online: 5 Days 3 Hrs 54 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 25 Secs
    I'd start with a scanner and watch crank sensor signal as CKP sensors are rather common on all the 5.2 and 5.9 motors of that era. Then a fuel pressure test if the first test does not lead down the right path.
    98 ZJ 5.9, Build number two, NP242, 6" long arms, wj brake conversion, 35s. More to come.

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 25 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 8 Secs
    Check engine light should be on. P0340 is the cam pickup (under the distributor cap/rotor), P0320 will be the crank sensor. Cam sensor connector is grey and is on the drivers side, on top of the fuel rail (follow the 3 strand wire out of the bottom of the distributor cap), crank sensor is on the passenger side bellhousing and the connector is on top of the passenger side fuel rail. Seen the crank sensor harness broken (eaten) right after the connector on the harness side before.

-Scotty
    What can I say, I'm Skitarded...

Time Online: 4 Days 13 Hrs 45 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Secs
    I had this exact problem not too long ago with my 98 Dakota, it has the 5.2L. Mine ended up being the ignition coil. The manual has a way to test the ignition coil resistances with a multimeter, mine was over on the primary resistance (1.4ohms, allowable ranged 0.96-1.18 IIRC). Replaced the coil and she's started without fail ever since. If you have a multimeter and a Haynes/Chilton book or equivalent try the coil, if you don't have a book PM me and I'll give you the play-by-play from my Haynes book.

Crank and cam sensors can also be tested with a multimeter without replacing them.
    Last edited by silverbullet91; 01-19-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Resistance is Ohms, not Volts dummy.
    2001 TJ 4L 60th Anniversary
    1990 Jeep YJ Laredo 258 <- SOLD!
    1996 Mazda MX6 LS V6
    1988 Mazda MX6 GT turbo <- SOLD!