Thread: Opinions on my rotted YJ floors?

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 37 Secs

Opinions on my rotted YJ floors?

Tore into the YJ yesterday. I'm into quite a bit of repair on these floors. They were patched at least twice before. I apologize for the crappy pictures - I only had my phone with me this afternoon.

Front and rear bumpers off, LR bodywork & side step. LF bodywork held on by 1 bloody bolt, 10mm that stripped. Gotta get that off later.

I need opinions from others who've done this. I've always had enough material to fab a patch pan and attach to remaining floor structure, but this is quite extensive and I want to do it right. I'll buy re-pop pans if that's best, but if there's better ways I'd love to hear about it, especially if it's using thicker gauge steel!

Drivers floor @ feet area

Drivers at seat belt / roll bar mount

Another view of the drivers pan

Another view of the roll bar mount, drivers

Passenger floor. I have to grind out the rivets before I can get that panel out.

Passenger floor near the seat

I know there's rust up the A pillar on the driver side too, just couldn't get a picture of it. I know, it's a lot. Pans? Custom? (Don't say it...) Tub? I have a 110 flux wire-feed welder here and a small compressor, and a hand-held sandblaster. Plan is to grind out the remaining rivets and blast the floors until I can see clean meat, then start patching, but if someone wants to throw a quote at me I'd be interested. Biggest hurdle is lack of experience in structural bodywork.

Lemme have it!
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 33 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 42 Secs
    $1400
    for rust free, straight, clean California tub
    Contact me
    call me lets talk
    Thx
    Bill
    Blenheim-Boy
    51-674-0633

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 5 Secs
    this is an opportunity for boatsides and to raise the transmission tunnel. you would be able to do an MML and TCL without having to do a body lift.

just my .02
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

Not a fan of boatsides myself. The trans tunnel lift interests me though. Any links on one being done? I don't like body lifts beyond 1". Sounds like I might want to invest in a sheet metal sheer and a brake.

If anyone wants to throw a $$ number at it to fix it, please PM or post. It's probably 6 hours serious work with the right tools. I'm gonna chain my small compressor with the one on site for more capacity and start sand blasting soon. Gotta get it solid!

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    heres the last one i did ,you can expect a lot more than 6 hr. work

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 22 Hrs 36 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs
    Get all the rust cleaned up first and see what you have left to work with. If your floor supports/body mount's aren't toast might be worth saving.

Comes down to how much you want to spend and how the rest of your tub is. A Fresh tub would be nice but $$!

I wouldn't spend the money on re production floors plans, pick up a sheet of steel and go to town. I made a sub frame with some flat bar and cut, bent and beat it into shape then burned it in...took some time but i am happy with the results. If i did it again i would just use thicker gauge steel and not worry about getting fancy with the beads. Save your money on a sheer and brake too, a few body hammers, tin snips, grinder with zip disk will get the job done...the most useful tool i found to form the floors was the vice grips sheet metal tool.

And some picture....and yeah boat sides are stupid...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Floor 1.jpg   DSC00867.jpg   DSC00859.jpg   DS Floor 2.jpg   DSC00867.jpg  

'02 TJ - DD/Parts Runner
    '83 CJ8 - Toy/Project

Nice work on both of those. I think I'll be happier/more calm when I get all the rust out of it. It just looks horrible, ya know? And I never said boatsides are stupid! They have their place. I'm just not a fan of how they look when they're done, and they cut into the already limited footwell of the Jeep. One sacrifice I'm not ready to make.

I'm busy next week, so everything starts again about the 26th.

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    i can make you the floor patches if you make a half ass pattern.got bead roller, brake ,sheer .got a 90 3vze needs a tune up

Double post...
    Last edited by Noltz; 10-30-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 5 Secs
    what I likes about how I built the sides on the YJ was that I could tie the seat-belt mointing to the 1" sq tubing. I used 2x4 size box and closed it in. I feel safer. the nex time I need to do this type of repair as well I will cut the floor right out and start fron scratch.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 2 Hrs 42 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 49 Secs
    I'm in hamilton and have done lots of floor rust repair in my years of welding. I'm willing to drop by and give you a few pointers if you like. Ron 905 746 4755
    Servicing and Repair of RV's at Sicards RV in Smithville on HWY 20

Time Online: 5 Days 13 Hrs 48 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 27 Secs
    Im parting out one of my yjs i have a nice tub for 450 all it needs is minor work on the driver side rear body mount before tire and skim of bondo on sides smoothed out from minor dents in rockers because it was a rock crawler tub and had a minor fender bender in the firewall area that needs a few weld tacks very minor stuff. The floors and all major spots are solid and original.Also tub has been stripped and epoxied inside.If your interested contact me at Brad77@sympatico.ca . Oh yes the tub is in the Shelburne area of Hwy 89 ans 2ns line EHS.

Brad

Well after a too-brief vacation I'm back at the Jeep. I've stripped the tipper ware off and it's as bad as I thought... But not unsalvageable. I appreciate the offers on the tubs but I think ill be in even deeper crap if I go that far with it. What's the labour like for a tub swap anyway?

Right now I'm thinking to cut the rockers right out and weld in 3"x3" angle iron in it's place, and start building a tub base from those. It'll give me a very solid seat belt mount, and I can tie in the roll bar for extra protection.

I gotta get a bigger compressor and a gas kit for the mig.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    I can see a gas kit for the mig but why a bigger compressor? 5" grinder and zip wheels from ctc (when on sale) a couple of clamps and heavy angle iron to make bends, and light cardboard for templates . Tinsnips to fine tune the cuts and soon you have a floor.

Cuz I am getting about 20 seconds of useful cutoff wheel action before I gotta let my 3.4CFM compressor catch up again. Buddy has an identical one, we're gonna parallel them. Should keep up that way. I'm starting from scratch on fab stuff & trying to use what I already own. Clamps, cutoff wheels, and iron are next on the Buy list.

I've decided to cut the rockers out like I want, and clearance for 35s at the same time. If it turns into a mess, I'll part the jeep and start over.

Guess I'll need an 8.8 too! :S

I'll start a proper thread on build as soon as I get some pictures to go along with it (they're all on my work 'puter). I chained the compressors together and am getting MUCH farther along in cutting the floors out. Get's dark fast, I only get about 90 minutes of useful light once or twice a week. Pricing out temporary shelters now to hang lights from and park for winter - but still has to be at a buddies place because I don't have cool neighbors like Myles has.

Mudsir if you're in Burlington on a Wednesday (normal Jeep day) 5-7:30 and wanna drop in and give us some pointers, shoot me a PM! I've got quite a bit cut out now and the WD40 is sitting on the seat bolts so they can come out next week.

Oh, and a HUGE surprise today. The notorious T55 bumper bolts? They CAME OUT!!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Ya no problem. I get off at 5 so i will swing by on my home. pm the address to me. Text me tuesday night to confirm plans. 905 746 4755 (cell) Ron

Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 13 Hrs 54 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 1 Sec
    http://www.universityofjeep.ca/forum...ad.php?t=15373

Here is a link to pics of mine before and after all done with a 4 1/2" electric angle grinder and a gas less welder
    Last edited by frghtlnr2005; 11-06-2010 at 02:33 AM.

Thanks. I'm at about the same rot wise as you. Much more extensive in the floor areas though. I'm up under the pedals to get to solid metal, but that's okay. I'm toying with building square tube skeleton and laying panels on that. Later I can cut the trans tunnel and raise it, to facilitate a MML/Trans lift. Love flat bellies