Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: making some changes

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 41 Secs

making some changes

as everyone knows, up here it's not easy to find a Cherokee (or Jeep, or vehicle at all for that matter) without a bit of rust here n there... this one is no different.

while adding TNT stiffiners last year I found the frame rails had some "corrosion" in more places than I had thought... so this year I am cutting out some of the worst spots, and beefing things up a bit.

I'll skip the pre pics, it looked like a Cherokee on 33's with about 4.5"-5.5" of lift, a bit of trimming and some home made bumpers.

a year ago I added some tube from rear wheel well to wheel well to attach some 14" travel 5150's to. wheeled it like that a few times, was very happy with the setup, but knew it wouldn't last long (figured the wheel wells were not exactly load bearing)

so past spring I made a major cut

(excuse the poor pics, I suck at photography and my cell while being 5mp still has me at the helm, not using it properly)

in the summer I put the fuel tank in the floor

my plan was to then plate the rear frame rails... but I found the 'frame' around where the fuel filler hoses go through the rails was... well missing in a few places... so out came the plasma and sawzall

granted now would be a good time to build a proper linked rear suspension... but that's not what I am looking for right now so I am sticking with the leafs.

2x4" was a little to short to fit into the 'frame' where I cut, so I went with 2x5"x 3/16th I slotted the very bottom of the tubing so it would go under the current rails, while the same amount of tubing was inside the rails.

this area will get rosette welds, and then some fish plates extending down the rails down to the front leaf mount.

a little more added to the rear, will end up being a little shorter then stock since the bumper can attach directly to the 2x5 making for a little better departure angle

that was yesterdays tasking
    today was about getting the leafs attached again. the stock frame angles out a bit, where as the way I did it meant I'd have to build out a bit to attach the leafs.
    this is how I did it

from another angle

and one more

that was all the progress I made this weekend. everything turned out nicely as measurements were simple. where I cut the 2x5 was 36" inside to inside, so with just the 2x2 added to the rear, the mounting width was bang on.

still to come is to actually attach this new frame to the old rails, and re-enforce that area and tie it into the front leaf mount along the sides.
    underneath I'll plate it up to the TNT stiffiners.
    also planning on dove tailing the back a bit. I have a Commanche tailgate I want to put in, so the rear quarters should end up being about 4" outside of that... all in good time for that tho.
    a new bumper is also in the works, but that too will be a little while down the road.
    after all that... comes a hybrid cage.

not sure how often I'll get to update this, it's at my buddies (thanks DirtyPerl for the space and access to welder/plasma/garage) and finding time to work on it isn't always easy.

thanks for looking, and providing any ideas/criticism/feedback... it's all welcome and appreciated.
    insert something witty here

well it took quite a while to make any progress worth adding here.

what the rear "frame" turned into

what is going under the rear
    HPD60 5.38gears, 14b outters, 63" wms-wms

and the simple bumper I tossed together one afternoon

will have to get a "finished for now" shot of the rear end.

in the mean time, what's going under the front end, another...
    HPD60 (will get 5.38's) 1980's-1990 style Ford, short driver side tube, with a chunk cut off the cast to fit the control arm mount.

a little bit missing, this was actually very easy to do.

the front suspension is currently TNT radius long arms... debating going with a 3 link w/panhard.
    TNT longarms for sale??

got a package, been waiting on this for a while...

a few of these

along with this, and that

coupled with something along these lines

should result in a finished 3 link front end on coil overs.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 44 Secs
    Awesome!. Excited to see how it turns out. What happens to the numbers if you lower the upper frame end an inch or so?

What's with the short wheelbase JK. Love watchin local builds. Keep it up buddy.
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    Nice work. I like the rear chop on the frame. Would have loved to do that but I wanted to keep too much body.

What shoe's is it going to get?
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    Awesome!. Excited to see how it turns out. What happens to the numbers if you lower the upper frame end an inch or so?
    What's with the short wheelbase JK. Love watchin local builds. Keep it up buddy.
    ya the upper arm is not in stone, none of them are really seeing as it's been in the planning stage waiting for parts/pieces.
    lowering it 1" tho ups the AS from 92-106% very doable... but will have to wait and see where things fit before I confirm anything. will keep it in mind tho, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JKMotorsports View Post
    Nice work. I like the rear chop on the frame. Would have loved to do that but I wanted to keep too much body.

What shoe's is it going to get?
    shoes? good question... thought of anything from 36"-39" since the gearing is there, and the 4.0L won't be breaking anything anytime soon.
    the rear chop I've been pretty happy about, wasn't looking to keep that much body anyway, so it just happened.

hoping to have some 3link progress pics in a week or two, progress has to happen quickly as the wife and I are expecting our first at the start of June... spare time will be at a premium after that.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    Good luck, I know what it's like to build a jeep with a new 1st one......and the 2nd!!!!

well, finally made some progress on the front suspension.

today I got the crossmember, links, and the link mounts all mocked up in place. tacked things where I wanted them, and where the upper would fit, then brought it out get things matched up angles, distances wise.

I got the arms machined out to receive the 1 1/4" bungs, fit perfectly, should be plenty of beef.
    I'll end up with either 4" or 5" of separation at the frame and about 8" at the axle.
    didn't get any pictures of it under the heep today, but this is what it looks like mocked up in the garage.

so now that I finally get things moving... I'm on the crap shift for work this week... so 1 1/2 days off until next Monday... no progress to be made for a little while again.

decided to plate the front of the "frame" before I attached anything up front.

cardboard template > 1/8" plate, few holes here n there and another piece of 1/8" to tie into the TNT stiff'ners

turned out not to bad, started from scratch, cleaned the frame, made the template, hit the plasma, clamp everything in place and burned both sides home in about 4 hours.

before I can put the front D60 back together tho I need to pull this spacer off.
    it's from a DRW truck, so this spacer was to match the WMS for the tires.

any ideas on how to get this thing off?

Thread a nut on and hammer those studs out?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 9 Hrs 46 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 39 Secs
    Use that big black press in the corner to push the studs out :-).

Rubi....

buggy...

I tried the hammer thing, no movement.

the press was the next plan of attack, but it was at the end of the night and I was tired or useless, whichever.

thought I'd check in to see if anyone had seen anything like this before.

progress... in the form of rubber.

thanks to ThrottleHappy I picked up a set of tires which were exactly what I was looking for, size, width, rims, everything... and a great price to boot.
    TSL/SX 38.5x14R16.5 normal rims for now, I expect to grab some double beadlock H1 rims in the next year or so.

front end

I am debating making a whole new crossmember for the control arms, to move the axle back 2"
    as it is right now I CAN NOT move it back at all, only forward. so I'd rather move it back 2" and have the ability to move the axle forward again via the control arms.

rear end

with the leafs flipped as they are now, wheel base is 112". so it should run around 110"-111" if I move the front axle back a touch.

gotta get a clear side view yet.

steering consists of 1ton TRE's. tie rod is over the knuckle (reamed from above) drag link is on a hi-steer arm, flat pitman arm, steering box has been moved about 1" forward from stock.

a new front bumper is in the works. hoping to have a few more pictures by the end of the week showing more of the work that's happened in the last few weeks.

well the heep moved, was moved, we had to push/tow it... either way.
    loaded onto trailer and off to get some tube work.

I'm not much good at remembering to take progress pics, but here are a few from today.

moved the links crossmember back 2", and pushed the axle forward one from there.

I didn't take any "stuff" pics, but the tire fits much better then before, and I have the ability to adjust placement now as opposed to before. I am content with that.

front end is supported by a tube tacked in place, so it should ride about 2-3" higher then this with the coil-overs in place.

what's left of the body.

I am stoked to see how the tube work turns out.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 43 Secs
    looking cool... keep the updates coming
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

progress has been made.

a good buddy went and had a look at things the other day, sent me these pics;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	982A1P762610-02.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	76284

Name:	B876Oh992890-02.jpg 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	76285

I was stoked, so I had to go see it myself, took these;

Name:	Q0VjMf397336-02.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	76286

Name:	pnZHuI950232-02.jpg 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	76287

Name:	cVZVb2962092-02.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	76288

as happy as I was with everything, I did make 1 change, I'll let you figure out what it was.
    I'm putting in a full day working on it later this week, that should slow progress down severely.

few pics of how the rear is turning out.

the tube guy really wanted to add the second C pillar piece, it turned out well.

rear shock hoops tac'd in, and the X behind the rear seat is ready to go (looking closely you'll see the snazzy photoshop of the one X bar... will finish that up for real this week).

the X goes right above the shock mounts, so will get a tiny piece of tube/gusset, depending on the gap. to tie everything together. forgot to grab s side/top pic to show where everything comes/goes.

where it is right now

voila, post-chop

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 4 Hrs 13 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 40 Secs
    Have to say that is some sexy looking tube work, can't wait to see this thing done.
    "Don't re-enact scenes from Platoon with Charlie Sheen"

OF4WD # 6788

well the rear tube work is pretty much buttoned up. the X is done, shocks hoops are in place and the X will attach to the hoops via a gusset or 2.
    dispite my best efforts (first time notching, bending, fitting tubes) the rear X ended up exactly centered.

the hoops are directly under the X, and will attach right over the shocks.

the front C/O's will attach to these hoops, just having to clear a bunch of room from the wheel wells to make them fit.

any thoughts, comments, ideas for what's left is welcomed.

Looks awesome! Wonder what she'll weigh? Definitely ready for some rolls! Gonna seal her up?