Thread: Tires help please!

Time Online: 3 Hrs 27 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Tires help please!

guys i need some reviews and opinions on tires if you guys can comment on tread life, on&off road performance, and anything else you might think of that would be great!
    the jeep is a 1994 jeep yj 4.0L auto and im looking to run 31x10.50R15 just as entry level

the tires i need help deciding on are

Mickey Thompson MTZ's
    Hercules Trail Diggers &
    Dick Cepek Crushers

they all seem like excellent choices i just cant decide which ones to get for the life of me.

Time Online: 3 Wks 3 Days 8 Hrs 17 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins
    Are these gonna be a year round tire or just summer? more mud than road or visae versa?

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 1 Day 6 Hrs 17 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 45 Secs
    Running the MTZ's in a 35" and they are an awesome tire, great in the mud and rocks with better road manners then my Interco Trxus tires which were horrid on wet pavement, they arent exactly the most quiet tire but its not bad for an MT, so far they also seem to be wearing much much slower.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 12 Hrs 36 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 51 Secs
    I have the General Grabber AT2's. I love them. Great tire, very little road noise,great in both snow & mud. have had them on now for 11 months and they are showing little wear. I do ALOT of highway driving and they are great on the highway and super in the rain.
    have a peek at them.
    http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T5/Grabber-ATsup2-sup
    Birdman
    ditch the bitch! let's go muddin'

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 6 Secs
    Here are my thoughts:

Since you said this is just entry level, meaning you are going to upgrade in the near future would you consider a mud and snow/ Ice tire. You can get them in 31's, use your stock rims and they will be the best choice for winter driving. Later down the road when you want to upsize you can buy a set of offset rims and larger tires while keeping these for winters. Ice tires actually handle great in the rain and summer driving as well because the compound is softer and grabs the road better

I usually get my winters for under $150 per/ installed with all fees. You can run them year round if you want. I have a Tahoe and I use them for 3 summers and 2 winters then sell them for fresh winters.

IMHO SWB Jeeps are about the worst vehicle for driving in the winter...if you need to use it why not get some traction to reduce the occurance of white knuckles.

I preach this a lot but I would rather feel confident behind the wheel than flipped over in a ditch trying to look cool with my MT's

Just my 2 Cents.

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 23 Hrs 16 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 32 Secs
    ^^ agreed.

I drive a lot of unsalted back roads and when they iced up, my MT's were worthless.

It sucked being passed by a crappy four banger car who ran a good set of ice tires. LOL

What about the goodyear duratrac's? They are a hybrid tire (MT with some siping), I've heard good things and they still have that "beefy" look.

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 11 Hrs 11 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 15 Secs
    x2 on the thoughts about ice and winter. If you're going to use these year round, pay careful attention to the siping. Take a look at the tread pattern of a Micheline Xice. Then look for a tire with similar qualities from different mfg's then start a poll on the quality of the mfg's.

My 2 cents. I think the Duratrac's from a visual POV have a decent tread pattern for year round and offroad use.

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 11 Hrs 11 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 15 Secs

re: Tire thoughts

x2 on the thoughts about ice and winter. If you're going to use these year round, pay careful attention to the siping. Take a look at the tread pattern of a Micheline Xice. Then look for a tire with similar qualities from different mfg's then start a poll on the quality of the mfg's.

My 2 cents. I think the Duratrac's from a visual POV have a decent tread pattern for year round and offroad use.

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 1 Day 6 Hrs 17 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 45 Secs
    If your running them year round the Duratrac's do seem to be one of the best tires, only heard good things about them. Especially in a 31" the MTZ might be a tad on the aggressive side, they are very durable offroad tire but the Duratrac's would be much easier to live with.

chances are they will be year round but im probably going to buy a set of winters for the jeep come winter next year, the jeep will be a daily driver and a weekend offroader, i was looking into the duratracs, and im curious about how they perform in mud and on rocks seeing as im probably going to be in them a decent amount, road noise doesnt bother me at all i actually kinda like it :P my dad has goodyear mt/r kevlars on his f150 right now and i love them, but they're a bit out of price range, i am going to be using the stock 15x7's that i have right now, and i really want a MT tire, im going to look into the duratracs more see what kinda price i can get, does anyone have any real world experience with these tires? if so please share (:

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 5 Hrs 56 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 39 Secs
    I just put duratracs on my daily driver f150. Had BFG AT's before, they lasted 97,000km. Figured it never hurt to try something new. So far the duratracs seem to have the same driving characteristics, good on wet pavement. Haven't had any snow yet, so no idea there. The duratracs are a little louder on the highway, but nothing compared to MT's.
    Price was around $250ea for 275/65/18/

hmmm see thats where my debate is, i really want a MT have you had the duratracs in the mud at all, my jeep is off the road right now for some repairs and upgrades that i will be doing myself over the winter so it will not be seeing the road till spring cause i want to do everything right. but it will be my weekend offroader and daily driver, so i want an MT that is half decent because ill be in mud alot! but i mean if the duratracs can compete at least a little then they're definatly a huge consideration, but i heard some bad and good things about them apparently they dont self clean very well. oh and i dont mind highway noise at all.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 1 Day 12 Hrs 19 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 9 Secs
    I've heard great things about treadwrights, I'll be buying them in the 31x10.5R15 variety as soon as I find a suitable jeep. I've mulled over the idea for a long time but when i see the quality of them and the customer service people get I cant bring myself to pay 200$ a tire when I can pay 90$ a tire for essentially the same tread. Even if it wears out twice as fast its still worth it for me.

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 5 Hrs 56 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 39 Secs
    Only mud I've had the Duratracs in has been at construction sites in Collingwood. They seem to clean alot better than the BFG AT's, they were actually throwing mud onto the roof of my F-150. They didn't clean as well as my BFG MT's that are on my Rubi though. Just not enough space between the lugs.

Time Online: 6 Days 15 Hrs 56 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 32 Secs
    I have been running duratracs for a year and a half. I have wheeled them pretty hard, typically I am the only guy on the trail without an Interco product. Aside from constantly
    getting crap in the beads running them at 15 PSI these are the best all round tire I have ever owned. In order before these I ran BFG A/T, Toyo M/T, Cooper S/T and Dunlop Mud Rovers.
    Out of them all I like the duratracs the best. I am almost done my new front axle and will be looking for 35's. If they made a 35R15 I would buy them again in a heartbeat,
    well behaved on the street, snowflake rated, and apart from clay, they have done really well trail riding.
    2000 XJ 6" lift,strongbox+dana 300, 35 MTR Kevlars, 8.8 swap, lockers.