Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An (un)Renegade rebuild

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs

An (un)Renegade rebuild

Picked up a '91 a few months ago thinking I could drop some floor pans in it and have a little fun. Well turns out she needed a LOT more than that. This will be a slow build over the winter as budget, time and distance allow... the Jeep is 20 minutes away as I have no garage here. Many thanks to Myles for the space.

As I picked it up;

Quickly removed the screwed-down outdoor carpet and center console. I knew the floors were done before I bought it but I didn't expect to find this;

Now there was a plate over top of the drivers 'floor' with about 6 rivets in it, but 4 of those had rotted away so it was just yanked off. After being tempted to part it out, Myles convinced me it's worth saving - but put down the rivet gun and get out the sawz-all... we're doing a frame up.

Step One; Pull the tupperware and see what we're working with;

Aw, phuck. There's some serious body issues with this. And to top that, I found 2 weak spots in the frame.

I then found the front tube crossmember is rotted too, but it must come off with the steering box section anyway.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

So after a long discussion, it was confirmed that we'd need to go down to the frame on this. Advantages outweighed the disadvantages, and I could be 100% certain it was good to go down the road or through any safety checks. So we started cutting out the rot.

I lost my last cutoff wheel at that point so we called it a night. Next part that we could do for free was to start stripping it down for the tub removal. Seats came out first. 20 year old bolts don't like to move! Snapped 1, but that's the least of my concerns. Hood and RF fender off before I had to call it a night. That's how she sits at this point.

Plan is to pull everything needed to yank the tub, then lift it either by the 2k winch I have or to block it up with wood... but in either case rolling the chassis out from under it. Picked up some roller rims to free up some room in there

I'll post up the wishlist later. I'm tired. Comments and tips would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Noltz; 11-26-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 7 Secs
    I can't find it right now but someone on here had posted pics of a Renegayed that had the flares trimmed and it looked surprisingly good. I don't know if anyone else knows where these pics are but worth checking out if you don't like the street jeep look
    badass tj " Hey bro I would really like 2 grab tht rear end."

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Min 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    So we started cutting out the rot.
    geez, you might want to stop cutting the rot or you wont have much left! You sure its worth saving?

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 3 Days 16 Hrs 40 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 57 Secs
    Ya, it looks like it may be easier to find a good shape tub if you have the chance rather than repairing but either way looks like a fun project. Plus everybody loves pics so well done.
    Tri-City Jeep Club

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 4 Hrs 33 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 34 Secs
    been there, mine was worse then that...its definatly worth fixin... do it right and it will last a very long time,,,mines been 4 years and is just starting to get rough again... but i should upped the guage of body metal when i did mine.... i thought it was smart to use similar to what was there now i know go thick, jeeps need strength lol

i do remember the pics and i must admit it did look pretty sweet
    If its a mechanical device i can fix it

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 3 Secs
    Looks good Noltz, I feel your pain, although mine was not as bad. It's a labour of love hang in there and giver.
    Keep up the pics
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 46 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 16 Secs
    its not that bad... just start patching it one hole at a time, and you'll be finished before you even know it. at least you don't need to do the bodywork really straight, its all getting covered. keep taking pics, it helps keep others motivated
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 18 Hrs 3 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 3 Secs
    Shoulda just left the flares on, you never would've seen it! hahaha. It's like they came from the factory with a band aid to hide the rust.

I've seen a few pictures of Rene bodywork that's been modded and looked MUCH better, but I fully expect to put it against a few trees and whatnot so the plastic is out. It's available for cheap, if anyone wants to try it on their own Jeeps. Pretty decent shape too. I am watching Kijiji and the For Sale forum here for a decent tub and/or solid frame. Problem as always is putting money out for it. There's a 4.2 frame in Waterdown... will a 4.0 bolt into place? I don't have the time or experience to start locating engines in framework. As for the tub, I found a few TJ tubs for reasonable prices but the mounts don't line up. Probably less work to move some mounts though, huh?

Don't worry I'll take lots of pictures

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 2 Hrs 42 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 49 Secs
    I can help with building custom engine mounts. Give me the engine sitting in the frame you want use and a few hours later i'm done. I'm free tomorrow so text me i want to see this.
    Servicing and Repair of RV's at Sicards RV in Smithville on HWY 20

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 2 Hrs 42 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 49 Secs
    I can help with building custom engine mounts. Give me the engine sitting in the frame you want use and a few hours later i'm done. I'm free tomorrow so text me i want to see this.

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 22 Hrs 36 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Noltz View Post
    As for the tub, I found a few TJ tubs for reasonable prices but the mounts don't line up. Probably less work to move some mounts though, huh?

Don't worry I'll take lots of pictures
    shouldn't be too hard to move the mounts, but you would have to go with TJ front clip, the contour of cowl area is different between a YJ and TJ. Its not like slapping a CJ clip on a YJ.

Might be possibly with some creative body work...
    '02 TJ - DD/Parts Runner
    '83 CJ8 - Toy/Project

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 18 Hrs 13 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 48 Secs
    sweet start on the thread Noltz! see ya soon.. gotta get the tub off!

K, more work on the teardown.

Putting the rollers on

Left fender was fighting me left and right. Spinning bolts on both lower bars, plus I couldn't get onto the lower nuts at the base of the A pillar. Myles looks at it and says "fawk it, cut it off" and handed me the sawzall. It wasn't any good anyway.

Digging at the dash bolts. The hinges surprisingly were not seized, but the torx bolts are not coming out nicely. I'll probably need new drill bits. My glass is already cracked so at least I don't need to worry about that.

I'm going to post this one on www.lowriderjeep.com . Thanks Myles.

All done for tonight. Tomorrow is to disconect the steering and brake lines, remove the remaining pieces from the firewall, and get the tub off. The rad has been drained, trans lines will be cut and grill pulled too. Then it's clean up time.

Here's a question for you all; This thing has the A/C package in it. I kinda want to keep it. Be really nice to have when sitting in a line for someone, or even the days I decide to take it to work. But I REALLY want to put OBA on it too. Should I forgo the air and convert the compressor, or is there an option to do both? It must be an engine-driven OBA. What about a York install with A/C?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 13 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs
    i like the pro street look
    rockin the 95 xj custom 4inch lift and 285/75/16 bfg mud terrain km2 and bds discos R.I.P

98 xj 4.0L 5spd 4.5" zone lift and m/t sidebiters looking for 33s

Cat's out of the bag now!

Many thanks to Twisted, from whom we are obtaining a frame and tub in much better shape than the Renegade. So this is no longer a Renegade rebuild, but a frame-up build.

As such, deconstruction took a rather interesting turn. I don't have space to store stuff, but I cant just tear everything down into little pieces and start a frame up. I work on cars all day every day, but the Jeep only once or twice a week for a few hours. There's no way I'm going to remember all the little bits and pieces of the dash. So what to do? Don't worry, I have a plan

Myles started the cross cut begins just behind the transmission cutout cover.

I went ahead and pulled the rad and grill as an assembly.

Drivers floor cut out... not that there was much left. We also ground out all spinning body mount nuts. I'm replacing all the mounts anyway as these are destroyed originals.

Passenger floor cut done. Learned that Mastercraft sawzall blades SUCK compared to Milwaukee. These were on sale and the wood ones are okay, but the metal ones are too brittle.

One last picture of the tub on the frame

Rolled it outside and lifted the ass end to disconnect the tank and RHS taillight wiring.

A little spinach later....

Swept up 6lbs of rust off the shop floor, cleaned up the tools and whatnot before rolling it back in.

And that's how we left it tonight. Plan is to remove the last two bolts off the cowl and set it aside complete. I've got my hands on a engine crane, so we'll lift the drivetrain out and set it aside. Then we'll pull the axles with the springs on 'em. Give them a good wire wheel cleaning and shoot them with some tremclad, and slide them under the new frame outside. Then roll that frame back into the garage. We'll spend a few days cleaning the frame up and making sure it's solid before dropping the drivetrain back onto it (after a very thorough cleaning and a fresh pan & rocket gasket). Then it's new body mounts and the new tub, which needs a little work but is far far better than what I had. We'll be doing a few mods to it too, like fuel pump access port in the rear, and a proper hold-down for a child seat in the rear. Once I'm up to the dash work I'll still have the mostly-assembled dash to remove and swap over - fresh in my head!

Hmm... no comments? Well, then more pictures!

Axles out...

Setting it all down...

Slicing the frame apart...

Everything we're not using is on the trailer for scrap.
    Last edited by Noltz; 12-11-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Fixed picture links

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 18 Hrs 13 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 48 Secs
    muahahaha

Something followed me home ..

The new frame and tub. I'll be going over it next week and seeing if anything needs redoing, but it sounds very solid and was rebuilt in the rear by MudBros last year. The tub was treated to new floors by Twisted, and just needs a few patches vs my extremely rusty tub. Many thanks Earl... saved me tons of work!