Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An (un)Renegade rebuild

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 22 Hrs 12 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 57 Secs
    Keepin the fenders
    Sold---YJ 6 cyl, 5 Spd, 4' Suspension Lift, SYE, 35" Tires, Lockers. Built, Not Bought.
    OF4WD#5888

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    No worries. Let me know if you come across a cheap drivers fender. Doesn't need to be pretty, just need it for a few weeks while I safety and e-test it.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Ground out the blower motor hole tonight, tied in the trans cooler again, and put clamps on a bunch of hoses. Cleaned and painted the roll bar, scuffed up the floor for rocker guard.. 2 cans don't quite do the whole floor. So I'll need at least 1 more, likely 2.

Oh, and... She's Running

The ground for the fuel pump is up under the dash near the parking brake. Black/yellow wire, by itself, with an eyelet. If your fuel gauge reads full suddenly and your jeep stalls... that wire has come undone! Bolted it down and she fired up. Open header = awesome noises but short run time. Also dont' have the heater box in so there's no coolant.

Blah blah, more picture!

Clearancing the blower

This last pic I started wire brushing the side. I picked up the paint... should be done soon. Axle swap will happen later but I've found the D30 4.10 I need. It and a F8.8 will be swung under before long. But for now it's git 'er done time. And I finally got my McGard locks so I can keep my wheels on it

S'more work today. LF brake hardline fabbed and mounted. Drilled out broken RR roll bar mount bolts, major pain. Ended up grinding off the cap nuts under the skin and using fender washers. The bar won't sit flat against the patched floor, plus the captured nuts on the floor support bars didn't line up, so fender washers came out to pull it all together. RR mount had both bolts flush snapped, ended up grinding the captured nuts out and using more fender washers. Finished rocker-guarding the whole interior of the tub, then dropped the bar back in. Seats went in, single bolt a piece to find where the floor needs to be drilled for mounts. Tried to figure out the shifter linkage but didn't have the picture with me. I did find the "bearing" that the linkage rides on - so that's good.

Getting there. Still need to finish heater box install and get fluids back into it. Remembered I have a snapped skid plate bolt to deal with too. That might end up being a hole-saw job in the side of the frame.

No changes visually today. Heater box installed, realized I had the battery box bolts in with the heads in the engine compartment. Bolts were too long, holding the heaterbox away from the firewall. Spun around, good to go. Hoses installed, filled with water and my battery was pooched. Damn... no coolant bleed today. Snugged down all the body mounts & leaf spring bolts, mounted the MAP sensor on the firewall, realized I have 3 vacuum lines that are not needed (t-case, cruise and something ), so I'll get caps tomorrow. Desperate for a reasonable drivers fender now - it's holding up reassembly. Figured out the shifter bracket (it mounts to the engine, not the tub!), but it's all out of alignment due to the body lift and my wacky steering column. Drilled holes and mounted seats properly (one stud busted on drivers... damn). Manifold-to-cat pipe installed.

My thought to paint it to match my son's Power Wheels Jeep sounded cool, but I'm diggin' the black. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Nice, you're further than me.

Hoping to drive it home in a couple weeks on the dealer plate. Digging everywhere for a $50'ish fender. Cursing that I don't have a tube bender and just make my own.

My Mood
    Twisted
    I'm looking more like a month to finish. Good luck.

Brake lines made, installed and bled.... one more thing off the list. More pictures soon. Working on this damn shifter linkage. I figured out where the bracket bolts too, and given the engine AND body went up 1", I shouldn't have any alignment issues - but this thing isn't CLOSE to right, and I'm missing the outboard bracket. The only way it lines up is column in park, trans down in first. I really need to see an installed one again... gonna surf the net and try to find one.

Finally moved under her own power again, after 7 months. Just a short run to the end of the driveway

Todays little bits;

• Made up a shifter linkage bracket.
    • Reinstalled filler neck holder. Had to loosen the hose clamps, but did not need longer hoses. I have 1" Daystar body mount kit on.
    • License plate flip bracket thing installed
    • Rerouted wiring harness OVER the steering column, like it should have been.
    • Found and installed my old tail lights. LED's later (already have the 4" saw )
    • Replaced roll bar bolts with proper sized ones. Used 5/16 for fitting, upped to 3/8's.
    • Added missing passenger seat bolt. Still need to drill drivers bracket and fit new bolt.
    • Fitted air box temporarily so I can run the engine without worry. No fender = not permanent.

Next visit;
    • Change engine oil and filter
    • Change P/S fluid
    • Adjust rear brakes
    • Drill and replace broken drivers seat stud
    • Get over to Staangs and talk skid plates

Still need;
    • Drivers Fender
    • TJ flares
    • Tailgate with hinges (CJ style prefered)
    • Windshield hinges
    • Full set (16) wheel lugs. I have locknuts for 5th stud.
    • Shocks.
    • Transmission mount.
    • Exhaust

Also grabbed a 4.10 D30 from a member in good shape - glad to have that out of the way. Once the Jeeps "done", I'll source a 8.8 and give them both the twice over before a weekend swap.

Todays progress;

Todays progress;
    Fitted the new catalytic converter, muffler and tailpipe
    Locknuts and new lugs are installed
    Reinstalled the front sway bar and attached the track bar
    Drilled out broken stud on drivers seat.
    Tail lights back on

And I drove it around the block.. 4 times. No shocks gave a VERY bouncy feel, and my front axle was wiggling all over the place. I think the track bar bushing isn't tight or something. The leaf bolts are tight. I also have a pull to the right, but I think I had a pull on the original Renegade these axles came from. Since there's a 4.10 axle to go in I'm not worried about it yet.

Yesterday and todays progress;

And then, in typical Jeep attitude... she wouldn't start!! Other than taking the RF fender and tail lights off I didn't move anything. Runs with fuel down the throttle body, but won't maintain it. Added some more fuel to the tank to be sure, but nadda. Frustrated, I went home knowing I can bring tools from work today. Well, I forget my noid lights of all things, get to the Jeep and SOAB the starter pukes. Fawk! Instead I put the soft top back on and worked on getting the busted windshield hinge off. Get home, post a WTB ad, and find one fairly locally. Also grabbed some door strikers from 95Heep, and the drivers fender courtesy of DVS. Thanks guys!! Oh, and put the drivers seat belt back in, realized I don't have a passenger side one. HA!
    Last edited by Noltz; 06-18-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: fix duplicate pic

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 9 Hrs 37 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 29 Secs
    looks good, you're moving along quickly! wish i could get that kind of progress haha.

So after swapping the starter out, I found no fuel pressure. Jumpered the relay, no go. Unplug the pump, got power and ground @ the harness. Good. Check pump, continuity. Remove fuel filter, power pump with external power and ground, I hear "click" and no flow.

Checked that it wasn't a simple wiring issue that I can fix for free like a poor ground. Nope. Tapped the motor, sprang to life. Damn, not a good thing to need to tap every once-in-a-while to get moving. Alwell, tanks out... time to cut the access hole I planned on but skipped (Murphy's law!)

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 1 Sec
    what paint did you use? how did it lay down ? dont see many two tone jeeps I like!

Quote Originally Posted by ry3w View Post
    what paint did you use? how did it lay down ? dont see many two tone jeeps I like!
    Trail-Rated Tremclad!. It's just regular Canadian Tire blue rustpaint. I'll get the product number if you want. This is a trail Jeep that's plated... the finish is a satin or maybe a semi that hides a lot of the gouges so I can still take the wife out for ice cream in it. Thanks for the props... at first I wasn't sure, but it's quickly grown on me. Nobody has this scheme.

Just a quick update. Sending unit access hole has been done. Mini-build thread is here.

And she's alive again. Still a WICKED shimmy when turning, almost looks like the wheels are deflecting. Hoping shocks and dampener will solve this. Also properly installed the drivers seat belt.

Still need;
    Tailgate (located & pending pickup)
    Windshield hinges (located & pending pickup)
    Passenger seat belt (belt part, I have buckle)
    Shocks & Steering dampener
    TJ Flares.
    Fix turn signal stalk & tighten column
    Windshield
    Fit and paint half doors

Later;
    4.10 D30/8.8 Swap (Have front, 8.8's are cheap right now)
    Full / Proper roll cage to the frame
    Trans mount & skid plate
    A/C to OBA (compressor is there!)

Really glad I cut that access hole. She died while driving to the shop. Coasted into a gas station, and after a round trip back to the shop, installed a Toyota in-tank pump to get me going again. Gas ate part of my rocker-guard floor . Had another lifted YJ pull in, offer a few ideas (I was still confirming no pressure) and made sure I had a phone before being on his way. Dude in the green YJ, hat's off to you.

More Issues;
    Vibes @ 60kph+
    Take better care to secure the softtop flaps.
    Adjust/Upgrade the brakes. They suck.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 4 Days 22 Hrs 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 36 Secs
    Wow, this thing came together fast! I read somewhere you were looking for a passenger belt... I have one for a cj. It's all yours, if you're interested pm me.

Shawn

Today I finally got to put the Jeep up on a hoist.

• Bolted down the steering box fully with a 'winged' bolt. Tightened up quite a bit, so hopefully that cures my shiftyness
    • Put a proper steel sleeve in the axle-side track bar bushing.
    • Snugged down the body mount bolts
    • Cut off the rear shock mounts from the D35, made templates for the new mounts. Wanted to try it in a POS axle before doing it to an 8.8.
    • Rechecked the front end. All the joints seem tight, u-joints aren't binding.

M12 nut with a random bolt for a anti-spin 'wing'. Fished it in with a screwdriver, held it down and snugged it up.
    Last edited by Noltz; 06-29-2011 at 09:55 PM.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Nice