Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An (un)Renegade rebuild

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Sorry for the lack of pictures, and progress.... work's been busy.

Cut off the rear shock mounts last time, finally got the shocks so I can set where I want 'em now. Also picked up a set of Rubi flares, started mounting those. Still need front shocks before I can drive it, and I think I've got a tailgate...

So do I paint them or leave them black? I gotta trim the front edge, the profiles are completely different.
    Last edited by Noltz; 07-07-2011 at 08:03 PM.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 2 Mths 2 Wks 10 Hrs 39 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 8 Secs
    dont paint them i hate the matching paint flare.....my 2 cents

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 22 Hrs 12 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 57 Secs
    Looking good.
    Sold---YJ 6 cyl, 5 Spd, 4' Suspension Lift, SYE, 35" Tires, Lockers. Built, Not Bought.
    OF4WD#5888

A good lad on JF did some photoshopping for me. The two-tone isn't doing it for me. Like it, don't like it...meh. Anyway, he chopped it in blue;

And I picked up some cool seats for it. Was planning on running 4Runner seats cuz they're nice and soft, but they were a bolt-in for Mudsir and these sat too high in his 4Runner. Trade!

Edit;

What do ya think of just doing the hood...

Last edited by Noltz; 07-10-2011 at 11:59 PM.

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 18 Hrs 13 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 48 Secs
    i dunno noltz... i do like the black and blue... hood looks good... i think windshield frame too much?

I think I'm gonna just kill the blue on the side of the cowl there and leave it for now. I knew that was a mistake the moment I pulled the tape off. Until someone shows me OD green..

Not much happening right now. Work is swamped and we close at 4:59... so I can't get any decent time on the Jeep. Myles, might need to bring it back to your place hahaha! Need shocks before I can drive it again, that was scarry. Fronts ordered, rears still working on the mounts (and need 15 minutes with the welder to get 'em on!!)

My flame-cut brackets;

And the small change near the windshield which makes me think "ya, this will work"

Tossed the half doors on at the last minute today, and they don't close. Something's up at the upper mount, the door is crushing into the dash. I don't think it's the depth of my bolt heads but it might be (I think they were button heads originally. I DO know the heads of the bolts on the hinges are too big to slip the doors on and off. Damn. No pic, I was busy cursing.

Anyone know anything about fabric paints? I want to freshen up the soft top.

Little more work;

• Simple interior shot. New seats aren't it yet
    • My terrible brackets that don't fit. That'll teach me not to get the laser cut ones for $7 a pair. Grr. Didn't bother cleaning up brackets at the axle won't be in there long.
    • Half doors on. Fitment issues on passenger side, it's not sitting centered. Gotta figure that out still but it latches.
    • All 4 flares on now. Finally
    • Front shocks fitted up. Hydro shocks worried me, since they don't push up like gas charged shocks do. Supplier assured me they're fine.
    • Fitted YJ side marker sockets into TJ by grinding the two small teeth off the YJ plug. Fits and locks like it should.

Also went and looked at my 4.10 front for the first time in daylight. Needs both u-joints, and possibly a LHS axle seal. Priced parts for all 4 joints, u joints and new brakes. May rig up a stand and just overhaul it. Vacuum disco looks intact tho, and the shock mounts are WAY better than my current axle. Also 90% sure I've got a seized front u-joint causing that wiggle. With the shocks in the axle doesn't move around anymore, and yet I can see the wheel deflecting 2x per revolution while turning (but fine when straight).
    Last edited by Noltz; 07-15-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Finished up a few things over the past little while.

Rear shock brackets modified and welded up, shocks fitted. Anyone know what thread the upper post is? 1/2" by 20 maybe?
    Pushed passenger door hinges forward so door will latch properly. Gonna fiddle with this a little more still
    Currently pulled steering wheel to get down to the loose tilt mechanism.
    Fitted the rear gate. Thanks again to DVS!!
    Fixed headlight issue - sockets at the bulbs are well worn and need to be replaced.
    Ran it through Drive Clean. Running very clean with that new cat.

So U-joint, brake adjust, alignment, front drive shaft and paint. Little stuff like the CB, extra lighting, OBA I can do as time permits.

Front u-joint done (was seized beyond belief). Wobble in front end gone. Thank god.

Secured stringer bars. Realized I had lost the bolts and they were just sitting loose.

Mounted the sound bar.

Took for a test drive for lunch. Brakes were still crap, even after adjusting and bleeding. Master is toast. Lincoln MC upgrade on Tuesday... I'll post up how it goes.

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 1 Hr 17 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 49 Secs
    I like it. I like it a lot! Need one of these to wheel in and out of the shed and fix up as time permits. That way I dont kill my DD

Thanks! I'm still not 100% on the paint but it'll stay until I decide on something else. Was gonna do it up like my son's Power Wheels but I really didn't like how it was turning out.

Fitted the Lincoln Conti master cylinder today. Didn't get a chance to bleed it on the vehicle, but after a bench bleed and a quick bolt in (and it did just bolt in) it's working alright. Should get it bled tomorrow. I don't have a reference on from stock as mine was buggered from day one, but it's significantly larger side-by-side with bigger reservoirs.

Bench bleeding the new master;

Pulled the old one off. Seafoam "Deep Creep" is awesome stuff. '91 fittings came out with vice grips.

Adapter for the rearmost chamber;

I didn't have an adapter for the front, but as you can see in the above pic that fitting was pretty chewed up. I elected to grind off the flare, swap fittings and reflare it.

It fits behind the stock airbox (bracket not fitted, just sitting lose as I ran outta time.)

I wanted to move the Jeep out of sight, but having no second person to bleed with (and no time to use the vacuum) I gave the pedal a few pumps. Came up pretty good. Fired it, she dropped a little but held, so I rolled it across the lot. Brakes felt much better. When I get a little more done I'll post on how it feels and works on the street. Cost was $40 plus core (they took the Jeep one).

Realized one down-fall on the Lincoln master - the cap clamp hits the booster and is wedged. You can still wrangle the cap off, but it's a solid interference. I'm going to remove the clamping bar and see if I can get it to sit a little closer to the master. Still didn't get the brakes bled as everyone left early, but I did get another project mostly done - a real bumper.

Torx bolts wouldn't come out. Torches fixed that.

Ridge from front cross member must be cut off and ground smooth

Removed grill body mount. This was not expected, but with the Daystar 1" kit in there the plate hits the mount, where if the body were lower it would just sit against the grill. I can cut the plate out around the mount, or just bolt the grill to it. Anyway, slip on the new bumper...

I also realized my front line to my master was in fact leaking, so I made up a new one with the old fittings. My re-flare job on the 1991 coiled line wasn't quite centered. Better now than after I tried to bleed it!

bumper looks sweet

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 4 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 52 Secs
    that is a sweet lookin bumper lol , glad to see it fit well

Grabbed up some roll bar covers. Thanks to Dunham for those. Didn't think about the sound bar, but I'll cut some slots for it. Looks better with the covers. I made a mistake trying the power wheels scheme... Paint is back on the agenda.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    Looks good.

I like the all blue look but then my jeeps blue.

What thoughts have you put to steering? Any plans to flip the TREs and/or 1 ton steering?

Also. Glad to hear Lincoln master fit in. How's it working?
    Last edited by Jak Flash; 08-07-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

I'm browsing ideas now. Black, green, OD are on the short list. Some generous folks took the time to get me some photoshopped pics of the jeep in all blue, but it really did "jump" at me. It was worth trying, not much out cost-wise either.

The lincoln master works well, but it's not amazing. The pedal is higher and firmer, giving you more reserve, but it's still single piston brakes up front. I've read about the WJ knuckle upgrade for duals and high-steering, but I'm not certain I want to put a lot of money into a D30 axle. But I certainly must do something. It's still underpowered in the brakes department. Perhaps a dual-diaphram booster. Edit; forgot your steering question. No direct plans on that, but the wheels is a little off center so it needs to go back on the alignment rack. The big tires just touch the arm on the alignment machine, so I gotta find the longer legs for the alignment heads or pay Guelph Line crappy and get an optical alignment done.

We'll see what comes of things over the next little while. I plan to replace all the front brake components with new/reman stuff, and a 8.8 is going in the rear with disc's. I'll be sure to post all my stupid questions with that swap. Grabbed a seat belt over the weekend (and a rear bench) which was the final pieces needed before legally putting it back on the road.
    Last edited by Noltz; 08-07-2011 at 07:16 PM.

looking good buddy -

With a lot of help from you man... it's appreciated. I'm glad the bike is an easier teardown!!

I painted the cowl piece, like a chopped it here;

With just that, I was pretty happy. So happy in fact I went and painted the donor tailgate blue. Cool! So, what about the currently-green doors? A tape line straight across from the tub line puts it half way up the piece I just painted, so no good. An angled line made it look like it was from the '80's. Curved line was WAY outta place on a boxy jeep. So try as I might, I couldn't find a good line on the doors, so the plan to leave it two-tone was done like dirt.

Flares off, repainting has begun. Buddy who was gonna do it through a gun is flaking on me, so rattle cans it is. And yes, I'm taking the lights and junk off... I just wanted to get some done last night so I could wake up and go "Ya, that's good."