Thread: please help!

My Mood
    Doh
    Time Online: 5 Hrs 30 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Secs

please help!

my reverse gear in my 1987 yj 6cyl stopped working. i bought a used tranny,and just installed it with a used t-case. went into every gear great. i started the jeep and now it wont go into any gear. just back and forth in neutral. the jeeps up on jack stands and it seems when i let out the clutch and its running the rear wheels spin... im confused cause its not in gear or so it seems that its not.. i know im a newbie on the forum but i really need this figured out.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 17 Hrs 32 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 51 Secs
    welcome to jeepkings 240sx. don't be alarmed if this thread is moved to another forum, the Stuck need Help NOW is for people stuck on the trail and in need of help. your problem is mechanical.

on that note, can you provide any more info about the problem? did you put a new clutch in when you swapped the new tranny in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayheminc View Post
    Life is good in the republic of bacon
    RETREAD #9

My Mood
    Doh
    hey, sorry about that. i had pulled the clutch off and checked it to see if it was in need of replacement and it was actually newish so i put it back on.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs
    shift linkage issue? To be honist have never looked at the setup under there but if there's a linkage from the shifter to the trans it could be messed up, therefor makeing you think it's out of gear when it is and in gear when it's out.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 1 Mth 7 Hrs 28 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 30 Secs
    I'd guess its probibly more so a clutch issue with air being in the hydrolic line. Bleed again.

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    If your stick will move from side to side but won't move forward or backward to go into any gear & the tranny is already in gear, I'd say that you installed the stick improperly & missed putting the tip of the stick properly into the shifter linkage. Take the stick back out and look into the shifter pedestal & you'll see exactly where the tip of the stick belongs - put it there & try shifting again without the engine running. If this works then you can push the spring retainer back on, put the tranny in neutral, start the engine and try shifting.

My Mood
    Doh
    the trans shift lever i have tried lining up 30 times.. i am going to try to bleed it some more.. i pray thats what it is. i have had nothing but headaches with this.
    ill let you all know in a few.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Just a thought... Your t-case isn't in neutral is it? With engine off and trans in gear, can you turn the rear driveshaft?
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Doh
    it was in 4 lo when i started it. it was really hard to put into 2wd. i cant pull it outa gear and i cant even feel the gears, i can only move side to side with the shifter which i just have sitting in the top. i thought maybe i dropped a dash screw into it or something but i cant see anything at all.. im really starting to get frustrated. like i said its on jack stands. so when i go to start it the rear wheels spin. i push in the clutch and it stop spinning. but still no gears to go into...

Time Online: 1 Mth 7 Hrs 28 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 30 Secs
    Did you check to see if the transmission imput shaft was the same on both trannys.(the one that sits in the pilot bearing) I know there were a few differences thru the years in the size of the tip.

Just throwing around some ideas.

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Hr 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 9 Secs
    Take the shifter off and remove the pedestal, next see if that piece that the shifter fits into for gear selection will actually move. What transmission is it?

Have a look here to find some exploded views - it might help to see what's supposed to be moving.

My Mood
    Doh
    i got it... ready?? i dropped the tranny and t-case. took it all apart just to the tranny. still no luck.. pulled the back of the trans off to see shift linkages for the gears and found things were misaligned.. referenced off my old tranny with blown reverse gear.. ty everyone!!! was only something i had to learn.. now i know!

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 23 Hrs 45 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    Awesome that you got it fixed!

If I was a Jeep, they'd have parted me out a LONG time ago.

I'm a proud member of SOXJA ask me why!

Krawlerz team member too!

OF4WD Member # 5027