Thread: Extra seating in a CJ8 Scrambler

Time Online: 1 Day 8 Hrs 8 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs

Extra seating in a CJ8 Scrambler

Well, its been far too long since I've been a Jeep owner. Trouble is, now our family has grown to a number of 5. I really want an open top jeep made prior to 1987 that we can all enjoy. I've seen some crazy ideas to increase the seating capacity in the standard small wheelbase Jeeps (like adding a front bench seat or narrowing the rear wheel wells) but neither of these seem appealing. One option I really like is buying a Scrambler and adding an extra rear bench seat. I've seen pictures of Scramblers that seat 6 and they look pretty cool. Does anybody on here have something like this? I realize these CJ8's are sort of rare but it may be worth the effort. Besides, these long CJ8's look really cool. Especially with a "world cab" hardtop. I've seen some Alaskan Postal jeeps with them and they sort of have a Land Rover Defender look to them. There is also a new modular "Safari cab" hard top that would kick ass too. But now I'm getting ahead of myself.... How hard is it to find a decent CJ8 that's worth rebuilding? I've thought about making my own CJ8 from a CJ7 but only if finding a CJ8 is too difficult. What do you think?

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 4 Hrs 33 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 34 Secs
    im building one right now, and there is definalty alot of room to make it a minivan lol...dont think it would be hard either, basically make a cage to cover the rear passengers and add the seats, you could build the seats right to the cage and make them somewhat removable, we are doing only the 1 rear seat and gonna use it out of a yj, and we are using a soft top on it
    If its a mechanical device i can fix it

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    I have a CJ7 that I added 18" to for extra space. It is still 8 or 10" shorter than a Scrambler though. I could easily put two factory rear cj or yj seats in but leg room would be tight.
    It would be better in a CJ8 because the extra length. You may be able to put a 3 seat bench in the middle in front of rear fenders.

My jeep and cage.
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

One of my biggest concerns about building a CJ8 by stretching a CJ7 is getting the measurements exact. There would be a considerable amount of work involved to "make" a CJ8 so I'm not sure I'd want to rely on measurements found on the internet. I'm sure the frame could be setup via simple measurements but I think the body would be a lot less forgiving. The last time I cut up a Jeep tub I used my hard top to help mock things back together. If I wanted to use that same method with a CJ8 I'm going to need a full hardtop before I start. I think it would be easier to find a complete used CJ8 than a used full hard top for one! It wouldn't be such an issue if I only cared to run a soft top but I'd really like the option of a full hard top so the tub must be exact. For now, I'm searching for either a decent CJ8 or at least a full hard top for one.
    Not a Jeep but it's got AWD, selectable lockers.... and a turbo!
    1983 Audi Quattro 20VT AAN the godfather of AWD performance cars.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    There are exact measurements to be found on the Internet. Bestops instal instructions for their soft tops has a measurement front the top of the windshield to the back of the tub for the cj8.

Anyone with a scrambler can also get you the 3 or 4 body dimensions that you would need.

If you just get dimensions you can start with any jeep and make it fit the hardtop you want. A YJ tub is identical to a 7 other than the gas filler, tailgate (drop vs swing) and rear fender opening.

The tubs are so damn easy to mod with basic common sense. The only thing on my tub that is factory is the top lip with all the body creases. I just grafted in another section from a scrap jeep. Mucho easy.
    I don't even have body mounts. I used the cage to sandwich the body and therefore making the entire chassis more rigid.

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 22 Hrs 36 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs
    If you go the build your own route, I believe I have the top lip from the door opening to the rear corners for the back of the tub stached away, I might be willing to let go, that would give you the proper CJ8 length.

If you read through this link it has all the proper frame dimensions with body mount locations and the corrections to the picture from the factory service manual.

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21707
    '02 TJ - DD/Parts Runner
    '83 CJ8 - Toy/Project

My Mood
    Dead
    Time Online: 2 Wks 12 Hrs 45 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 11 Secs
    I have a CJ-8. when i bought it, it had 2 bench seats in the rear. I bought it in California, flew out and drove it home. The price I paid for the Jeep, flight, fuel and misc stuff is WAY less than the cost of rebuilding a Jeep from the salt belt. My Scrambler has ZERO rust. would i do it again? HELL YES! Its easy, and fun too!
    Wounds heal... Chicks dig scars...

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler (Rust Free California Edition)
    2005 TJ Unlimited
    1946 Willys CJ-2a "Pa2niA" Featured in JPFreek (click me)

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. I love the thought of finding a real CJ8 down south and dragging it home but I don't really have that sort of money right now. I agree in the end it may be cheaper to do it that way but building a truck over the course of a year or two suits my current financial situation better. I tend to buy something cheap that is worth rebuilding, then buy parts as I require them, spreading the cost over the length of the project. Another thing I must consider is that I'll probably modify this CJ8 either way. I've already acquired many specialty tools for such a project ie, metal brake, plasma cutter, welders, tube bender etc. My goal here is to spend between $7-20k on this project. For that kind of money I expect to have something I can drive everyday but still have some fun with on weekends with the family. I'm thinking dana 44's, stand alone EFI, roll cage, mild lift etc. I'm an automotive mechanic of over 10 years and would rather invest my money something old than a new 4 door JK. I love the JK but I want something that is easy to work on, live with and modify. Its so much more difficult to "customize" a newer vehicle given all the computers and other bullshit they have. For me, I just want to keep it simple and old school. I'm sure it can be done for cheap if I get creative. Like its been said ^^^^ Jeeps aren't really that difficult to build.