Thread: Durango Steering Box Swap

Time Online: 4 Days 20 Hrs 19 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 23 Secs

Durango Steering Box Swap

Yesterday I replaced my leaky box with a Durango box (with some stop mods). Here are the oddities/issues. When I replaced the box I had to take the bolts out of the left side of the bumper and slide it forward (I've never read about anyone having to do that before). I broke two pitman arm tools. The pitman arm nut is 33mm (some guys are saying it's 1-5/16"). The hydraulic lfittings are 18mm (I work with hydraulics a fair bit and that is the first time I ever saw that). And one huge caution is to make sure you lock your steering wheel with a cargo strap or seat belt, I know you think it won't move but it will and you'll be sorry.

So far it works really good. You can notice a difference in the steering and some people might not like it, because of less feedback, but that could be counteracted with a stronger stabilizer. It did require some fine tuning to align the tires witht the steering wheel.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    I use 1 5/16, close enough. lol. I beat on the pitman arm pretty hard with a hammer as i tighten the tool. At one point the arm should pop right off with a good hammer swing. Cargo strap, check. Did it the first time then got cocky on the next swap and didn't strap. Now i'm in need of a clock spring. lol. Glad to hear it went sorta/kinda/fairly smooth.
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 39 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 14 Secs
    I did this swap and ya i didnt have to slide the bumper forward thats odd

Time Online: 15 Hrs 8 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    what are the benefits of the durango steering box?

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 6 Hrs 52 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 50 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    I use 1 5/16, close enough. lol. I beat on the pitman arm pretty hard with a hammer as i tighten the tool. At one point the arm should pop right off with a good hammer swing. Cargo strap, check. Did it the first time then got cocky on the next swap and didn't strap. Now i'm in need of a clock spring. lol. Glad to hear it went sorta/kinda/fairly smooth.
    I didnt lock up my steering wheel....I swear it didn't seem like the thing didnt moved but I busted my clock spring. PIA

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JEFF20v View Post
    what are the benefits of the durango steering box?
    you can go either durango or dakota, the benefits
    1. they are cheap
    2. they are plentiful
    3. they bolt on and don't leak like TJ boxes do.
    2001 TJ, 7.25" Long Arm Lift, 35s BFG MTs, 4.88's, Dana 44 rear with a Detroit = A never ending project