Thread: looking to buy a commuter car - need advice

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 34 Mins 40 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 52 Secs

looking to buy a commuter car - need advice

I've decided that gas prices are getting pretty high so it's time to buy a commuter car.

Since I've owned both a sunfire and a cavalier, those are the two vehicles I'm looking to buy. . I'm not opposed to other cars, I just know a bit about fixing these and they're pretty cheap and cheap to fix

I'm looking at a 99 z24 and a 2000 sunfire. Any tips on what to look for with these vehicles? It's been a while since I've driven a FWD car let alone owned one. Any input would be awesome
    Thanks in advance
    young kid learnin the hard way
    90 YJ 4.2L, howell TBI, 4L head, 4"lift with 31x11.5s. broke it, welded it, broke around the welds, welded it again, sold it
    99 grand cherokee, 4.7L. 2" BB, 245/75R16

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 23 Hrs 16 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 35 Secs
    I'm assuming a 2 door???

What out for rust on the bottom of the doors and on the rear quarter panel on the bottom in front of the rear wheels.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    96-00 Civic.......>all
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by pav1 View Post
    I'm assuming a 2 door???

What out for rust on the bottom of the doors and on the rear quarter panel on the bottom in front of the rear wheels.
    Ya, I can't convince myself to buy a four door that doesn't have 4x4 just yet. Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by RBJeepThing View Post
    96-00 Civic.......>all
    I know the civic is a really reliable car, but they tend to cost more because of this, and I'm looking to get a beater for no more than $1500 and I have never owned/fixed honda. Trying to stick with what I know...going from 4x4 to a car is hurting haha

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    I always liked my Saturns. Cheap, reliable, plastic so the rust doesn't show. Iv'e owned a '98 SF GT, and liked that one as well (wayy too much invested F&F phaze.)

The 2.2's have head problems and the 2.4's have water pump problems that cost more then the 2.2 head to fix. The 1.9L satun has head problems.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Ya my sister actually just sold a Saturn dirt cheap, missed the boat on that one. Is it the parts that cost more than the 2.2 head gasket or the labor involved that costs more CC? any way I can tell if this is going to become a problem on the 2.4?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Labour and parts. Most shops charge around 8 hours. and the pump if I recall is around the $200 mark, while a head gasket is $100 worth of parts and 6 hours or so. If the head is cracked however cost can quickly escalate.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Ya very true...although if the head was cracked I think the car would just go to the junkyard and I'll call it a loss..both vehicles I'm looking at are high mileage so these are pretty real problems unfortunately

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 1 Day 6 Hrs 9 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 47 Secs
    x2 on the Saturn, been very happy with mine good millage and their great on the highway. Look for an SL2, they have the 125HP DOHC engine thats all around better then the 100HP SOHC motor in the SL/SL1 (roughly same millage to). Look for a 5spd to the autos have some issues and suffer a 6 - 8mpg loss.

My Mood
    Lurking
    well I bit the bullet and bought a 98 Z24. It's not as sexy as a Jeep, it has just over half the displacement as the 4.7, it feels like I'm driving a fawking go-kart, and has tiny tires. BUT I'm only paying $30 more a month in insurance with the jeep and the cav on the road, so I sure cant complain. Not to mention how my wallet will thank me at the pump

Anyone know of a shop in the Hamilton area that will do a safety for a reasonable price? I need to put brakes and tires on it and it needs a strut mount, but other than that it seems to be ok

My Mood
    Lurking
    Anyone know of a Junkyard in the Hamilton area that would have a strut mount? I haven't priced it out yet...it may be cheap enough to just buy one new...

My Mood
    Twisted
    If it's front pour the penetrating fluid mixed with silicone lube on it. If it's rear the mount is 20 something from a dealer.

They are all ****ed on junked cars. It was a bit plaugeish.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by C.C. View Post
    If it's front pour the penetrating fluid mixed with silicone lube on it. If it's rear the mount is 20 something from a dealer.

They are all ****ed on junked cars. It was a bit plaugeish.
    Can you either explain the penetrating fluid with silicone lube part here or in a PM, CC? I've never heard of this being done...(noob). It's the front driver's side