Thread: My New Build

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Days 19 Hrs 55 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 23 Secs

My New Build

Big Red - Phase Two.......A new beginning......

Last year I put a Dana44 front and a Dana60 rear under my 1997 TJ, I wheeled it at Trailfest and had a blast but, I wasnt happy with the way the frontend turned out so I have decided to go a different direction with my Jeep Build.....Most people upgrade their axles, t-cases,do motor swaps & swap tranny's and what-not into their Jeep....I went that route at first and ran into issues and limitations....Its been my vision to have a V8 powered Jeep with the Strength and reliability to go along with it. It is this quest that has brought me to the build I am starting on now...

I have decided to put my Jeep body and interior onto a 1979 Ford F250 4x4 frame. It will be shortened to accommodate the smaller body. I searched high and low on the web tryin to find a build where someone has done this...hadnt had much luck....i found this...

specs on this are as follows:

Dana 60 front and rear, 390, SM 465, NP 205, Shortened 78 F250 frame, 79 F350 front end, 77 F250 rear end, 4 " lift springs, '76 CJ 8 body, 12,000 lb winch front, 9000 lb rear, and 39" swampers

This is very close to what i am looking to build.....my specs will be as follows:

Dana 44 front and Dana 60 rear, 351, NP435, NP 205 - Twin Sticked, Shortened 79 F250 frame, 4 " lift springs, '97 TJ body, 12,000 lb winch front, OnBoard Air & 38" Swampers on Hummer H1 beadloacks

Heres a pic of a Truck like my donor cut down close to my targeted wheelbase...it has radius arms up front mine will be leaf all around.

as you can see looks like its do-able as by the first pics, someone did it!

I am gonna start by tearing the donor down to just the frame and Drivetrain, then throw a tub on and get it situated as far as where its gonna sit and build some body mounts for it...then continue from there....

I would appreciate any input the great members here have with their vast amounts of knowledge.

More to come as I go....stay tuned!

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 7 Hrs 16 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 55 Secs
    Have you thought about using an old fullsize bronco frame? wouldnt that be close to the targetted wheelbase? no 60 in the rear but i believe they mostly came with the nine inch, which is still a great axle.

I know in the early 90s guys had great success dropping the CJ7 body onto a fullsize blazer frame. If you are set on ford, the bronco would be a good place to start, unless the truck frames and drivetrain were way stronger for some reason. CJ7 YJ and TJ bodies are all the same length, just slight variations between the models for trim and fascia and what not.

The CJ8 pictured above was considereably longer, wheelbase was 10 inches longer than a CJ7, and the total body length was 24 inches longer if i am correct. So it would make a better candidate than a short wheelbase body right off the line, as you would have alot more room to play with drivetrain and such.

By all means, I think it is a great project and would love to see it come to life. I was just tossing out some info for you.
    Last edited by CJMunky; 03-25-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    Quote: Originally Posted by pjleslie03
    I know how bad the D35 is in the rear, but would it be bad to have one in the front?

Quote: Originally Posted by Lostj
    yes, you wouldn't be able to steer

My Mood
    Twisted
    I have in the past but I recently came into a donor 1979 F250 4x4 with a zero miles 351 crate motor.....granny 4spd, np205 & 44/60 combo ready to tear into.....so this is my choice of platform.....its been shortened already one time...i need to cut some more outta it to suit my needs but should work quite well for me when done. I'll take some shots of it tomorrow for you all to see...

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CJMunky View Post
    By all means, I think it is a great project and would love to see it come to life. I was just tossing out some info for you.
    And thats what make this forum as great as it is! I came into the truck for FREE so that was a big deciding factor MONEY! this old Ford is tough as nails and I cant wait to get started on this project.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 48 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 45 Secs
    Sounds cool. I vote do it and stretch the rear tub.
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 26 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 44 Secs
    should be a great build
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

My Mood
    Twisted
    I would stretch it if someone had a Top for me to put on it.....lol

Heres some pics of my Donor Truck...

And the Official Mascot Of the Build...lol
    Last edited by KrAzYkRaZ; 03-26-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 17 Secs
    is this going to be a street legal truck? what about emission testing? i am looking forward to this build, leafsprings on a tj.. nice!
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Ya fully street legal....No emission testing up here in the North!! I have ownerships for both, but will be licensed as the TJ for simplicity....I had already converted my TJ to Rear Leaf springs when I added the Dana 60 last season, I like it and it seemed to work well for me..... Heres some pics of how it sits right now, they were taken at trailfest last summer....

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 17 Secs
    no emissions? lucky guy. looking forward to lots of pics. shortening the ford frame is kinda a pain in the butt because it tapers in front if the springmount, but its still pretty easy. just take your time and take lots of pictures.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Wk 9 Hrs 1 Min 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 36 Secs
    I've seen many cj's on chevy frames..... no reason it can't be done to a ford. I wish I had of done something more along these lines when I build my willys using a early bronco frame or something.... my willys frame is going to be to weak for the weight of my engine, axles and tires

I have a 54 chevy pickup that I am swapping on to my old DD 79 chevy 4x4......

keep posting your build pics
    79 GMC K2500 converted shortbox stepside K3500, 454 BBC, SM465l, Dana60/14b w 4.56,
    2005 F250 on 35's DD