Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: shawns 84cj7 tear down and build

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 4 Days 22 Hrs 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 36 Secs

shawns 84cj7 tear down and build

Well after a year of tearing down I'm finally at the turning point. What i've started with is a 84cj7 with fiberglass tub,windshield and fenders, nice steel horse interior, 360 v8, (with a bad flywheel) t18, dana 20, d30,amc 20 with moser shafts , 35" tires, a getto nightmare soa, and every piece of stainless bling I think you can buy. Unfortunately all the previous owner (who I never met) spent all their money on bling instead of things that get you home. Initially my intention was to safety it and go beat on it. As this is pure toy and never will be a dd. But as my buddy put it "It's like a hot women with crabs"....So frame off here we go! This is what I started with. With mud bros advice I decided to ditch my soa and eliminate some problems. I went with the rubicon express 4.5" kit, which allows me to run the 2.5" springs. Very nice quality and complete kit.

i cheaped out on the por 15 and am just going to clean the frame and tremclad with a brush as it won't be winter driven.... hopefully it will last a while... let me know

Don't like how the seat belts are mounted through the floor with fender washers... What does everyone else with glass tubs do?

My plans: get rid of soa, replace what needs to be replaced and clean up, get it plated, possible colour change to copper (2007 chev avalanche), modernize but still keep it original looking as I can, Flat fenders ( may hack up my glass fenders with the sawzall.... any one ever done this.. with success

Mods: tie roll bar to frame ( like chrisbuilts set up, but way beyond anything I have the present skills for), stinger, rear tire carrier/bumper and winch

The good: the 360 although looks like a pos, has all new frost plugs in it which tells me it's been rebuilt and has just sat and rusted. runs very nice.
    - all fiberglass/ no rust (don't know how tree and rock friendly glass is so maybe really a -
    - interior new
    - i'll never have to spend any money on bling and when ridiculed about it can say the old owner bought it.
    -family bar
    -moser one piece axle kit
    -enough KC lights to put any poacher to shame

The bad: the frame is out 1/2" on front rails and has really sketchy bubble gum welds everywhere + it's rotten in the usual places ( have a new frame)

- Flywheel ring is pooched ( maybe have something to do with the previous owner thinking they had a 304 and putt a new 304 starter on it.)

- all bolts are miss matched
    -the tub has cracks at the door striker, by one of the seat mounts and the floor shows some distortion from the BL.

I have edited this post so will continue a few posts down with tear down...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0559.jpg   100_0013.jpg   000_0552.jpg  
    Last edited by 84cj7; 01-04-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: 1st attempt was a disaster, hard to read and didn't make much sense
    84 CJ7

03 Hummer H2

06 Honda TRX 450R- sold... Guess im retired

I seem to have made a real mess here. Bear with me i'll figure it out as we go.

ok I think i've got the pic thing worked out. Sorry to put everyone through the mess of my first post. This is what I did today.http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/attac...1&d=1230936104 and first coat. You like my heater, its a step up from my old halogen light heater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0908.jpg   100_0910.jpg  

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 1 Min 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    Are you going to use harness's or just the factory seat belts?
    OF4WD 5435
    2dr - 2010 - Rubicon
    Cake bakers united

Quote Originally Posted by JB70 View Post
    Are you going to use harness's or just the factory seat belts?
    I think I'm going to stick with the factory belts for now. I also have the family bar so I'd like to get the shoulder straps for the rear to keep the little ones safe. Harnesses may be in the future, but I'd like to see how much I actually get to wheel.

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 6 Hrs 35 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 25 Secs
    I am just using plates and washers for my belts as well. I think the only other option is a full cage with seat mounts and all the belts tied in to the cage.
    I just used tremclad on my frame as well, not alot of winter driving but still get's a little rust popping back . It's easy to touch up though.
    Good luck with the rebuild, take your time and think thru the little setbacks.. let me know if you need a hand with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by exheep View Post
    I am just using plates and washers for my belts as well. I think the only other option is a full cage with seat mounts and all the belts tied in to the cage.
    I just used tremclad on my frame as well, not alot of winter driving but still get's a little rust popping back . It's easy to touch up though.
    Good luck with the rebuild, take your time and think thru the little setbacks.. let me know if you need a hand with anything.
    I want to go with the full cage and tied into the frame. We'll have to see what the budget allows. this may have to be a mod once it is plated. Ex heep thanks your phone will be ringing soon

Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Days 1 Hr 19 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 48 Secs
    You're a brave man. I was in the exact position you're in now. I gave up and decided to part mine out.
    02 TJ, 4" lift,35'' MT Claws,D44,K&N FIPK,Bestop supertop,Magnaflow cat back,Smittybilt rear bumper with swing out carrier, PSC stinger, 10 000lb winch. Tubular Metal Worx front flat fenders and flat rear flares.
    77 CJ7. Gone but not forgotten
    10 Grand Cherokee

Time Online: 3 Wks 19 Hrs 7 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 47 Secs
    Your doin fine 84cj7. It's not all that difficult once you get going. I have done seven CJ's from the frame up it just takes patience and perseverance. If you get to a spot where your stuck just work on something else for awhile and usually when you go back to it a little light comes on in your head and away you go.

That looks like a AJ's glass body you got there. Those things are tough as nails and will take a beating. My son broadsided a Chevy Blazer when the driver of the Blazer lost control and veered in front of him. Totalled that blazer, and bent the CJ's leaf springs and frame but the body survived with only a few scratches in the gel coat on the front of the fenders and leading edge of hood. We replaced the frame and the leaf spring and it's still going strong. By the way the seats belts held up fine with no problems his are bolted through the glass body with large fender washers. If your going to offraod it it is always a good idea to tie the roll bar to the frame regardless of your body material.

If you need any help along the way shoot me a pm and I'll help any way I can. I guess I got a soft spot in my heart for those old CJ's

Good Luck

Ken
    Don't let fear and common sense get in your way.

1985 CJ7 Aluminum tub, 31's
    1985 CJ7 Fiberglass, lift, 33's, 5.3 Vortec, NV3550
    1985 CJ7 All steel
    Doing my part to keep these old CJs alive

these are some pics that didn't work in the first post: http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/attac...1&d=1230936104

The booty fab frame, pulling the tub, sloppy soa and rear arch rot.

95heap- You sound like my wife!! LoL Yeah, i paid too much for the heap and i'm in to deep to part it now. I have seen lots of cjs for sale that I could've have been playing in but at least I'm going to know every nut and bolt on this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0764.jpg   100_0747.jpg   000_0557.jpg   100_0024.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Kennuck View Post
    Your doin fine 84cj7. It's not all that difficult once you get going. I have done seven CJ's from the frame up it just takes patience and perseverance. If you get to a spot where your stuck just work on something else for awhile and usually when you go back to it a little light comes on in your head and away you go.

That looks like a AJ's glass body you got there. Those things are tough as nails and will take a beating. My son broadsided a Chevy Blazer when the driver of the Blazer lost control and veered in front of him. Totalled that blazer, and bent the CJ's leaf springs and frame but the body survived with only a few scratches in the gel coat on the front of the fenders and leading edge of hood. We replaced the frame and the leaf spring and it's still going strong. By the way the seats belts held up fine with no problems his are bolted through the glass body with large fender washers. If your going to offraod it it is always a good idea to tie the roll bar to the frame regardless of your body material.

If you need any help along the way shoot me a pm and I'll help any way I can. I guess I got a soft spot in my heart for those old CJ's

Good Luck

Ken
    Thanks Ken

This is basically the start of the tear down. The painless wiring is nice but I still labelled where every wire went, took pics and made a pull sheet. Pulling that dash was the most time consuming frustrating thing about the tear down. I also discovered that the grinder is the best tool in my box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0151.jpg   100_0171.jpg   100_0177.jpg   100_0526.jpg   100_0556.jpg  

Out with the interior that I wrapped in plastic and stored. Off with the tub. This went very easily as I built an A frame (luckily I'm short and have high ceilings) and pulled it off with a 1 ton chainfall. Getting it to pull off level did take about 20 re-riggings however. The engine leveller from princess made the motor,trans and case come out as one with ease. I have never attempted anything to this magnitude and frankly am in way over my head but so far so good. Luckily when i've been stuck the help and answers have been here. Thanks. " Any idiot can take something apart, only a good mechanic can put it back together and make it work" I don't know who said that but were about to find out which category i fall in.Besides, I can't fail the wife and daughter constantly give me the verbal jeep beatings. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0744.jpg   100_0727.jpg   100_0760.jpg   000_0645.jpg   100_0755.jpg  

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 3 Days 15 Hrs 42 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 55 Secs
    get some black acrylic enamel instead of tremclad, lot better paint. if youre going to do all that work, dont cheap out on rust protection. KW surplus sometimes has good stuff, but any industrial paint place has it. Just say it's for work

nice setup with the beams in the garage, got any elevator parts in there?
    Want to see the future, past or the unknown? Learn to be psychic. Ask me how!
    A good time to invest in spf3000 if you live on the NK penninsula.
    Oh November 17, how I fear thee...

There might be an elevator part or two there. LOL. A previous company that we both worked at used to send tons of extra parts with the installs and would just chuck it all in the bin. I grabbed some of it and after three years fianally found a use for it. Another reason to miss the pick up that stuff doesn't fit in the jetta too well. LOL Back to the grind tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit86 View Post
    get some black acrylic enamel instead of tremclad, lot better paint. if youre going to do all that work, dont cheap out on rust protection. KW surplus sometimes has good stuff, but any industrial paint place has it. Just say it's for work

nice setup with the beams in the garage, got any elevator parts in there?
    Bandit i'm glad you said something spent all weekend cleaning and prepping, priming. I also bought gloss black tremclad as I thought it may be easier to clean the dirt off and have been having second thoughts, thinking it will look like shyte. I'll check out the surplus (good idea) and get just non gloss acrylic enamel or get some dtm paint as mud bros. suggested a while back. Here is my dirty and ready for paint frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0913.jpg   100_0916.jpg   100_0922.jpg  

Time Online: N/A
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    go with the enamil dtm cant go over a primer looks great man have to come out for a drink sometime and see it up cloase my cj is done and off to market

Time Online: 1 Day 7 Hrs 58 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Secs
    looks good man so you gunna get it done so we can wheel this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by mud bros.1 View Post
    go with the enamil dtm cant go over a primer looks great man have to come out for a drink sometime and see it up cloase my cj is done and off to market
    Andy you're always welcome, i've usually got the gibsons in the freezer. I'm going to need you and you're welder soon. Just waiting on perches and shackle hangers. Gotta get you here before the little one comes! your leash is gonna be shortened. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lucas_carter View Post
    looks good man so you gunna get it done so we can wheel this summer?
    I wish, but that would really take a miracle and a money tree, wouldn't hurt either. you're build is coming along nicely and since your jeep is 6hrs. away you probably miss it and should come and wrench on mine. LOL