Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skippy's XJ build

Time Online: 2 Days 2 Hrs 55 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Secs

Question Skippy's XJ build

Hey guys, I'm usually a forum watcher not a poster , but, I too have recently been bitten by the "Jeep addiction," (recently in the last year that is....) And I think its about time I share my story.....

Chapter 1: XJ#1

The story doesnt begin with XJ number 1. My Jeep addiction starts with my CJ, but thats for another build thread. This Jeep is a 96 with a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder with an AX-5, 5 speed manual, NP231 t-case, a 4" rough country coils and shocks (it actually measured out to close to 7 inches of lift... I'm not sure how, but, I do know how to use a measuring tape) and 6 inch spacer with an add-a-leaf, 31" mudkings that eventually went to 33" procomp xterrains.
    Unfortunately I dont have any pics of the build but....

Chapter 2: Rust

So, here I am one day, trying to go to work and, the battery dies. No big deal.... The battery that was in it, was under warranty so, off to Canadian Tire I go, get another battery and plop it in the XJ.

Hop in the jeep to try and start it and it rolls over, and rolls over, and rolls over. No fire. Turn the key to go try and start it again and I notice I dont hear the fuel pump. Go under the hood, check the pump relay, still no fire. Check the under dash fuse, still no fire. Come to the conclusion the pump is pooched. I go and lift up the carpet in the trunk to cut a patch panel to better access the pump and find this....

I had intentions to fix it and after a date with my grinder it looked like this....

Chapter 3: I couldn't say "No"

So, I go and buy myself a new fuel pump and fiddle, and fiddle.... I've heard about checking the wiring to the pump because they're prone to breaking wires to the pump. Had a light on my test light for the wires so, I go and change the pump. Try the key and still no fire. Re-check the wires to the pump with the test light and all of a sudden..... No light!

Frustration mounting, a couple or few weeks go by and out of the blue my beautiful, gorgeous, loving and helpful wife, finds me this. Its a 98 sport, 4 liter, AX-15, 5 speed, NP231, D30 front and Chrysler 8.25 rear with limited slip that actually works. I found that out last week when I got pissed at another driver and left 2 black marks on the street all the way through 1st and halfway through 2nd gears before I chickened out of the throttle because of the screeching tires. I confirmed it when I got home in my laneway and spun up the tires again in the dirt and saw 2 trenches.

Anyways, it has 157,00kms and was from Alberta 2 years ago. The couple that bought it, drove it out here and only drove it for a year when they bought a new car and wanted to try living with just one vehicle. It sat another year in his driveway when they finally realized they could sell it.

It needed a reverse light for a safety and breezed through an etest with the same half tank of gas it had when they parked it a year ago. And the price? 500 BUCKS!!

I couldnt say no....

Chapter 4: 96 XJ takes its retirement

Well now that I have a nice and clean, rust free XJ to play with, of course, its time for dis-assembly. The plan at first, (before I found out the limited slip works in the new one) I was going to take the lift, axles and tires and just transplant it to the new one. The 96 has 4.10 gears and the 98 XJ has 3.07. Now when I went and did the calculations for gear ratio for a 33" tire, the ideal ratio is 3.61, to keep it "to stock" on the speedo. I wanted the higher gears in the 4.10's for better off-road performance.

Now that I know the limited slip works, I've changed my mind. I'm going to use the 3.07's and sacrifice the better ratio for both wheels to spin in the rear. I'm told that the 4 liter will have enough juice to still spin the 33's anyways. (I'm still used to the 4 popper from the 96 not having any grunt, so going to the power and torque with half the mileage in a 4 liter is still new to me)

Today dis-assembly of the retired 96 started. I'm pretty pleased with the progress so far. Front and rear axles out. Front and rear drive shafts, out. suspension, out. 96 XJ..... drug out on its frame by its predecessor, out and waiting for a flat bedded wrecker.

Chapter 5 is still being written, but that will be done tomorrow.... Thanks a bunch for reading!

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 42 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 17 Secs
    so what are the plans for the red cherokee? i really like the black one because you don't see many xj's with the 4 banger.
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

Well, the plans for the red one are simple. Recycle the lift and tires from the black one to the red one. Keep the axles for spares.... I have a spare NP231 with an SYE in it, and I'm going to have to get an input shaft for the AX-15 to make it fit. (Just for the guys who dont know, the NP 231 behind AX-15 transmission has a 23 spline input shaft and the NP 231 behind the AX-5 only has 21)

If you want the black jeep, its going to the wreckers soon. Probably next week because the neighbors wont let it sit for long. make me an offer, you come get it and its yours. I liked the 4 banger too, it really liked to rev
    OF4WD member # 6000

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Wks 17 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 50 Secs
    awesome, 98's the best year, that was a steal! keep us posted on the progress!

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 44 Secs
    we want more xj"s lolo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 7 Hrs 32 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min
    i love your fence with the tree through it...............lol
    and great start to a great build
    1987 yj, 44 front, 9" rear, ramsey winch, 38.5" Boggers
    360ci, BACK IN ACTION
    1996 Grand Cherokee Limited, STOCK .....BOOOOOOOOO

Lol.... yeh, the tree the city wouldnt cut down so we built around it.... Well, Sundays progress didnt go quite to plan.... But, the front axle and suspension is out of the 98 but, just like when I tried putting the coils into the front of the 96, I'm having trouble compressing them enough to get them to go in. I killed Canadian tires spring compressor and gave up. I'll post up picks of todays progress later after work. So now I have to go get a better compressor and try again after work tonight. The front should be buttoned up by the end of work tonight.

Thanks alot for reading fellas, it makes me feel good that other people are reading my progress and like what I'm doing

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Day 19 Hrs 44 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 5 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy594 View Post
    I killed Canadian tires spring compressor and gave up.
    You're lucky it wasn't the other way around if it's the spring compressor I'm thinking of. . . .

AKA "The Widowmaker"
    "If it's not broke, your not trying"
    -Red Green

2000 TJ, 3.5" RE Superflex lift, 1" coil spacers in front, 35" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 9500lb winch, Super 30/35 front/rear e-lockers, newly re-installed (and straightned) HD Rugged Ridge tierod and draglink

Card carrying member of Team Red. Or would be if we had cards.....

It was the strut spring compressor, and I know about the widowmakers.... Thats the 2nd one i've killed, the first one stripped its self out and fortunately I was able to loosen the other side before it shot across my driveway... lol

Hey guys, sorry for taking so long but, you know how it goes..... Life gets in the way of our projects sometimes....

Chapter 6: Reds first build up

After getting yet another Crappy Tire spring compressor, the front coils slid right in. I noticed that one of the front shocks was dead and the other looked close behind. I noticed too that the shocks were too short for the coils. I was told this was a 4 inch lift when I bought it but, now that I had the weight of the jeep on the coils, the coils were clearly 6 inch coils. No big deal really, go get another, proper length set of shocks. Thankfully, my good buddy markr1001, happened to have bought another XJ for its tires and had exactly the shocks I needed, and brand new.... I also noticed lots of play in the lower control arm bushings. With this lift being in its 4th jeep now, its not really a surprise.

I of course had to put a tire on to get some "incentive" and see what it would look like when done....

Brake lines were really easy, just unbolt the flexline bracket bolt and take out the bends in the OE steel line. I bent the steel line back also toward the inner fender well and POW!, home made extended brake lines! I of course turned the steering side to side with some flex in the suspension and theres lots of clearance for tire and shock.

The back was pretty easy too so theres not any pics of that. bend the rear steel brake line down to compensate for 6 inches more droop, cut the drivers side ebrake cable and leave the passenger the way it is. (Theres plenty of cable on that side to compensate for droop.)

Recycle the 6x6, .250 wall square tubing blocks bought from the local steel yard and used in the 96, add a leaf and grade 6 3/16x 3" bolts for leaf centering pins with shaved and rounded bolt heads to fit the centering holes in the blocks. I like the stance of it now, a touch taller in the back for when I load up with wheeling supplies, tools and family.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

There are more pics and build novel to come today but, I have to catch up and take more pics for you guys of a couple bumps I had on the install road. But in the mean time, theres more parts coming to fix warn out components, and complete others. They should be delivered next week.

Ordered are:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

My Mood
    Busy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 17 Hrs 25 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 19 Secs
    Nice I like to see it

Time Online: 4 Days 6 Hrs 56 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 21 Secs
    where abouts in kingston are ya? I havent seen your red one but i think ive seen the black one around town before.

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 19 Hrs 17 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 7 Secs
    Have you done any trimming to the fenders at all? Flexed it out yet?

Nice find for 500. I'm jealous.
    1991 Xj Gone to a new home.
    1948 willys Jeep pickup sitting and waiting.
    1984 toyota currently beating & building.

OF4WD #6069

Quote Originally Posted by 30ODD6 View Post
    where abouts in kingston are ya? I havent seen your red one but i think ive seen the black one around town before.
    I live in the fruit belt, but, I'm all over the place

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by stickyken View Post
    Have you done any trimming to the fenders at all? Flexed it out yet?

Nice find for 500. I'm jealous.
    No, no fender trimming yet and I havent driven it enough to test for flex, I have an SYE to put in this weekend and I'm waiting for new adjustable control arms, track bar and sway bar disconnects.... I do notice some rubbing on the front bumper drivers side but, I think that has to do with not having an adjustable track bar in yet though....

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 13 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs
    awsome build glad to see another xj out there rippin the trails
    rockin the 95 xj custom 4inch lift and 285/75/16 bfg mud terrain km2 and bds discos R.I.P

98 xj 4.0L 5spd 4.5" zone lift and m/t sidebiters looking for 33s

Thanks!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 27 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 54 Secs
    iim jealous lol, i just bought a set of used mud king xt's....how are they? i cant seem to find a whole lot of info on/about them. i got 32/11.5 for my black 94 xj that looks identical to yours so i have a good idea what mines gonna look like
    94 XJ
    3" lift
    32" Mud King XT

The mud kings kick ass!! The mudkings I had on the 96 were on there with no lift and the only time I was ever stuck was when I got hung up....

This is the first real hole I hit with these mukings.... That is 6 inch thick chunks of ice I'm breaking through to get out. Also, this is when the 96 was running awesome....31" mud kings with no lift
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....0445859&type=1

This was the last mud hole this poor 96 saw.... I didnt get out because it over heated and blew up the cooling system, but, I started that video not being able to move at all! 31" mudkings with 7 " lift
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....ideo_processed

---------- Post added at 06:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 AM ----------

I think you'll like them, I paid 80 bucks for the rims and tires at the local scrap yard. They had weather cracking all the way around inside the treads but, an awesome tire, no-less

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 4 Hrs 14 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 36 Secs
    ya those tires surprised me forsure... and i remember the last vid well... Rick we gotta get back there soon!
    If its a mechanical device i can fix it