Thread: Jeep tj sport 2001 Trailer harness kit HELP!!!!

My Mood
    Mellow
    Time Online: 19 Hrs 57 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Secs

Jeep tj sport 2001 Trailer harness kit HELP!!!!

Hello and thanks for reading.

Discovered my trailer lights weren't working only used them once before. On the right side Nothing on the left side the center of the light had very small hard to see from 2 feet away flashing. check my wiring and connectors. A ground was half split and not attached on passenger side underside. Is it possible theres a fuse for this and checking it be a bright idea. If you know about this I appreciate it.

side note. I keep getting an error code P0442 vac leak or something. I guess it means leak in the gas line or lose gas cap. I disconnect battery for 1 hour and the code goes away for a few days then returns randomly. Thanx again.

Time Online: 7 Mths 4 Days 31 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 38 Secs
    are u asking about the tow vehicle or the trailer itself? using a test light on the vehicle's plug without the trailer connected is the first thing you need to do to determine if the lights are failing due to the vehicle or the connections on the towed product.

...of course, i would be correcting that ground wire so that it is connected properly

if that makes no change, i would start at the source of each wire, and inspect each connection, repair anything that isnt sealed from the elements. use heat shrink.

Almost every time ive had to repair someones rv lighting, it is due to someone in the past making connections with just cheap plastic crimp fittings, and then not using heat shrink or liquid tape to seal the connection. weather gets to the connections, then they corrode, and then they have troubles. since you are towing with a jeep, i suspect there wont be much wiring to it since you wont be towing a 35' camper or anything.

as for trailer specific fuses on your vehicle, i cannot say for sure if your tj has them, but a quick look at your legend on the fuse panel should tell you.

not a specific "heres your problem" answer..... but hope it helps. it wont be anything serious. just start at one end of each wire and go over every single connection .
    Last edited by KillBilly; 04-10-2011 at 03:58 PM.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks for the repond. WEill try the tester after work tonight. I was referring to my jeeps half of the connector though. BUT however the connecter was left exposed on the trailer all winter frozen into the ground. ur point may very well be right. but then again the trailers also worked for my cousins vehicle perfectly and mine it the driver side only and not passenger and is getting worst. knowing that there is a ground ripped off underneath makes me think there is something wrong with my jeeps harness. can a tester check that too?

Time Online: 7 Mths 4 Days 31 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 38 Secs
    i would fixed that ground and go from there. trace the 4 wires all the way back to the point of connection or splice on the vehicle. maybe some contact cleaner may be required as well if the ground repair doesnt remedy the issues. if its a home install as apposed to an oem, some people use those blue scotch lock jumper connectors and they are usually trouble once the salt gets to them.
    Last edited by KillBilly; 04-10-2011 at 07:09 PM.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Ok upon tackling some of these suggestions. I first discovered that a ground was split on the trailer near the from A bar. So did a quick fix there and my Driverside worked 100% and passenger side now has the mini middle bulb flashing hard to see. So, today I trie cutting the split ground on my jeep and discovered that the wire was really black. I thought it's usually copper wire used so i believe this is a problem likely shorted out. if cutting it down and reconnecting the wire dont fix it next tihing i'm doign is buying new wire because i dont know how far up it will be like that.
    Ignore the ugly underside. First vehicle used haven't got a chance to clean it up yet

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 43 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 50 Secs
    The black on the wire itself, not the insulation, is corrosion on the copper wire. You can either replace the wire, which could be a lot, I've seen the corrosion travel a many feet from the bad connection. The other thing you can do is take some fine sand paper, fold it over and sand the end of the wire, this way you can properly solder to it and shrink tube it. Solder won't stick to the corrosion so don't try.