Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 96' XJ - Summer Floor Project :)

Time Online: 3 Days 20 Hrs 41 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 19 Secs

96' XJ - Summer Floor Project :)

Hey guys,

Bought a 96 XJ about a month ago for $300, the thing runs great and is actually in really good shape but the floors are shot, I don't need to put it on the road till August so I figured I'd start a little summer project.

I knew the floors were bad from looking underneath but when I pulled the carpet they were REALLY bad...Someone riveted in some really light gauge sheet metal and that was all that was holding the seats in place. The patch job was really bad and just sealed up with that black acoustic sealant, I was able to pull up the patches with my hand on the passenger side

I'm gonna try and document the repair over the next little while and see how it goes, there's still a patch on the driver side that I didn't get to yesterday but I'll post more pics when everthings cut out back to the good metal.

My plan is to weld in 18g, seal it, prime it and Herculiner it,and never let it see a carpet again...

Any tips, comments or suggestions are welcome...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG0277.jpg   CIMG0279.jpg   CIMG0280.jpg   CIMG0284.jpg   DSCF2275.jpg  

DSCF2276.jpg   DSCF2277.jpg   DSCF2278.jpg   DSCF2281.jpg  
    '95 YJ, 31" Goodyear Territories w/ Black Steelies, Rubi Flares, Lined tub
    ...some tough lookin' grab handles

'96 XJ 4.0 Stock

Few more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2279.jpg   DSCF2276.jpg   DSCF2280.jpg  

My Mood
    Busy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 17 Hrs 25 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 19 Secs
    Welcome to the club

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 4 Hrs 45 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 48 Secs
    That is probably one of the most ambitous floor repair projects I've seen. I hope there is enough good metal left! Make sure you oil inside the "frame rails" once the new floor is in. Good luck!

My Mood
    Busy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 17 Hrs 25 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 19 Secs
    Just looked at the pics. do your self a
    Favor and throw that xj in the garbage

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 51 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 44 Secs
    dude....thats almost the ruffest xj I've ever seen....IF you gonna do this....don't cut all the bad metal...only do one section at a time...say drivers side front...pass side front....then rear...etc....if you take everything out all at once it might twist and never be true again(I speek from experience....trust Monkey...it sucks...lol)
    They call me Monkey cause I'm the silver back of the bunch
    87 XJ Lifted with stuff(Zombie Apocalypse Edition)
    87 YJ Lifted with stuff(Wifes)Mall Edition
    99 Ram Toy Hauler Edition
    OF4WD Member 5275 www.4-lo.ca

Ya it's pretty bad eh, that's a good idea about doing it in sections. I knew that since it's a unibody that there's structural when dealing with the floor and that I have to weld it back to the "frame rails".

I will definitely do it in sections though thanks for that. I think the only thing I am worried about it the back and welding near the gas tank, I was thinking of maybe just sealing that patch using a different method??

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 19 Hrs 17 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 7 Secs
    Just take the tank out. Chances are the straps are on there last legs anyway. And if the tank is original, the tank will be iffy too.

Your gonna have to go high up the sides to find metal to weld to. If you really get into it farther, weld in temporary supprort bars across the body openings, and from one side to the other.

I've done a few Xj floors, but that one is pretty bad man. Have fun getting creative!
    1991 Xj Gone to a new home.
    1948 willys Jeep pickup sitting and waiting.
    1984 toyota currently beating & building.

OF4WD #6069

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    Honestly that fawker is gone.

The "frame" is dodgy at best, if you don't know exactly what you're doing you will be fiscally buried in that XJ. If you don't nip all the rust from the floor and frame it'll come back to bite you so fast your head will spin. I've seen frames ripped apart on "good" XJ's and ZJ's from rust the owner's didn't know was there.

Despite some of the comments to scrap this thing, I picked up a sheet of 18g and am going to get started this week. I'm not planning on keeping the Jeep forever just for a few road trips in the summer so that's sort of why I'm not too worried about how bad they are.

Just curious if anyone has any tips I might be forgetting?? Things like disconnecting the battery before I start, it's been a while since I've done this so any refreshers would be great.

Ill post more pics as I take them...

Alrighty, so I've been having some camera issues lately so that's why I've been slow on the updates! But I've been working pretty hard on the XJ these past few weeks, mainly just weeknights after work so it's been slow going but this weekend I should be able to cover lots of ground.

I'm not the greatest welder in the world and it's a fluxcore machine so I'm still getting used to it, but I'm getting better for sure, and it's been a ton of fun so far.

I've got the back half of the driver side cut and shaped but I ran out of spool and camera battery today so I stopped.

Any comments appreciated...

Oh and any good suggestions on a CHEAP seam sealer? Or an alternative...I've done some searching but haven't come up with much, the tubes I was looking at are like $11 a bottle.

Thanks guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2298.jpg   DSCF2304.jpg   DSCF2296.jpg   DSCF2297.jpg   DSCF2306.jpg  

DSCF2302.jpg   DSCF2299.jpg   DSCF2307.jpg   DSCF2300.jpg   DSCF2308.jpg  

Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 19 Hrs 17 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 7 Secs
    I would say your doing a good job. The stock seam sealer is a bitch, if it's still attached. On the ones that I have done, the floor side area by the door sill was the worst to try an find good, clean metal. I wouldn't mind seeing what you done there. I think a good bond there is important for structure. Keep it up, and you will have a Xj worth something again.

I'll post some pictures tonight hopefully of that side area are under the doors...oddly enough if wasn't too rusty there so I just wire wheeled it to bare metal and bent the panels up about 2 inches.

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 5 Hrs 11 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 25 Secs
    I did the same thing to my old xj!!! Tons of fun and tons of beer woooooo

It actually wasnt all the bad. Just a lot of sanding and grinding hah
    No fingers, no toes, she doesn't own elbows,
    No phalanges no knobby knees to knock.
    She don't need knuckles or hands to go see punk rock bands, She's always in the stands, she's nubs

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 43 Secs
    i know this is what i am going to see also when i start my floors soon
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

Time Online: 1 Day 4 Hrs 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Secs
    looks good so far, I am also in the the middle of the same job on my 91.. I would first suggest removing the gas tank if you haven't already , and use a zinc enriched weld threw primer on all the undersides of the panels and the other arears that u r welding to.ie. frame lips. looks like the rails are in fair shape and u
    coated the insides with a coating [por15?] As for sealing on the inside when all my new metal is in, i will cover the entire floor with fiberglass matting adding good protection and more rigidity. On the outside, a good primer and I like your idea of Herculean coating and maybe some roofing sealant that I have in stock.My rails were in bad shape so I had to weld new channels inside and out to strengthen them up. they were baddest between the two seats and rite at the back [ specially driver side where the fuel fill hoses go threw the frame.I had my channels fab'd at a buddy's shop but I noticed that one of the advertisers in Burlington makes frame rail stiffeners [ http://staangsfab.com/products-1/jeep-cherokee-xj/ ] case u might wanna do that...good luck

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 1 Hr 26 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 44 Secs

you might want to do this! when i did my floor it wasnt as bad as yours but my front seat mount tunnel was shot to hell so i welded in a 2x2 and drilled some bolt holes and its 10x strong and im not worried about ripping the seat off the floor

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 41 Secs
    the joy of the older XJ.
    I had to remove some of mine anyway to clock the 231 higher and to allow the upper link on my 3-link into the passenger footwell...

in the end it will be new floors pass and driver side... but only from under the seats to under the pedals.

good work so far, and good luck with the rest of it.
    insert something witty here

That's a good idea about the seat mount channel, I'll be doing something like that on the passenger side cause it's rough.

As for the coating on the frame rails, it's just a "Red Oxide" Primer from CT, I was told it was good for new and rusty metal.

Today I seam sealed where I thought it needed it and painted part of the floor pan but ran out of paint. I'll finish that up and post more pictures tomorrow...

I got the rear pan in too and it went so much faster...I fiddled with my settings on the welder and this one turned out much better and went alot faster, pics tomorrow...

Got the order of these mixed up, and for some reason not all the pictures are working but I'll keep trying
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2327.jpg   DSCF2319.jpg   DSCF2318.jpg   DSCF2328.jpg   DSCF2325.jpg  

DSCF2314.jpg   DSCF2315.jpg   DSCF2312.jpg   DSCF2316.jpg   DSCF2326.jpg