Thread: Where do I start , and what the f*** do I do

Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 18 Hrs 55 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 57 Secs

Where do I start , and what the f*** do I do

So I've recently bought a 93' yj completely stock and I have an idea of what I want to do with it but I don't know where to start. First off christmas gift from my girlfriend was a throttle body spacer and air intake very cool :-) ... I recently joined BAJA and te boys from Brampton have been great. I've been getting slot of good input on where to start to chrome my goal but I'm still a little confused. Because I'm new to the jeep thing I want to start off with a mall krawler/mud truck I don't wanna do anything to drastic till I get the feel for wheeling. I've decided that I want to run 33" and Im going to buy my boy lift kit off eddie spagetti one of the guys from BAJA. Should I change the diff's and axles of so what should I change it to and what jeeps should I get parts from ?? What other things should I also loom into changing while doing the body lift to comfortably run 33's. This is my daily driver back and for to work and will also be my weekend wheeler keeping in mind that it will be softcorw and my budget isn't out of this world I need some reasonable cost effective solutions to run my 33s on my 3" body lift.. And lastly where should I go to get this installed without coughing up 1500...

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Hrs 32 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 35 Secs
    ok. i bought my jeep...94 yj...and knew nothing at all. keep reading this site. research and ask ?s. it is a never ending learning curve. as far as your body lift...reseach the internet, watch utube, and you can prob do it yourself. go over how to do it over and over again prior to putting a wrench on it.....word of advice...penetrating oil

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Time Online: 2 Wks 14 Hrs 12 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 12 Secs
    That's what you say now. Wait till you get the fever.

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 9 Hrs 15 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 21 Secs
    Careful will the body lift. 3" is too high for my liking. I find there is too much gap between the frame and body, you can see right through. You might want to think about a spring lift.

I believe a 4" spring lift will run you about $700. But don't quote me on that. If you go the spring route you won't have to worry about those tired stock ones you have now and 33's will fit fine. Easy install for do it yourself or shop, whichever your budget will hold.

Call Dan and Ski at CT Motorsports. 905-452-3236 they are located at Torbram & Derry Rd.

I believe CT Motorsports had a booth at your last show n shine, and may again this year.

Grimm

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    First, welcome to Jeepkings.

Secondly, relax!. This is not a race, and Jeeps are NEVER done. Congrats on picking one up. You'll be happy you grabbed a fuel injected one, and hopefully not too much rust.

Questions you need to answer before we can really help you are;
    1) What do you intend to use the Jeep for? Daily driver & weekend trails? Weekends only, don't care about creature comforts?
    2) What engine and transmission are in your Jeep?
    3) What budget would you be comfortable spending, and over what time?
    4) Are you handy with tools yourself, or would you be using a shop to do your installations?

I agree with Grimm that 3" body lift is too much. You'll be FAR better off with a 4" suspension lift. There's lots of worn components in your Jeep that could use replacement. Suspension kits start around $700. Installation can be discussed with site sponsors or you can tackle it yourself if you're comfortable with it. Body lifts have their place, but anything above 1" is generally not advisable. A 4" kit will give you plenty of room for 33's & will increase ground clearance under the frame.

Axles are a big can of worms. Let us know the answers to the above questions and we can advise you further. But #1 rule; READ READ READ!! Understanding what each part does, how it affects other parts, and what the cost involved in swapping is very important. There's 1000 different ways to build a jeep.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 23 Hrs 37 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    x3......run away from that body lift

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 1 Day 12 Hrs 19 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 10 Secs
    First since nobody has said it yet I'd like to suggest you wheel it as is for now. Learn to wheel from good people in your area. Theres a ton of guys on here from Southwestern ontario that im sure would be happy to take you out and teach you how to wheel properly.

Once you learn how to drive offroad and pick lines properly then start addressing weak points in your rig. like if you find you're taking a lot of bypasses because you're worried about hitting the body add some rock sliders, if you find you're in really tight trails a lot, maybe some armor for the sides and bumpers. Maybe your tires just aren't agressive enough and you dont have enough clearence, throw some bigger tires and a small lift.

Research everything you do before you do it not after. Learn from our mistakes.

Newbs brag about how much lift they have, veterans brag about how little they can get away with.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 22 Hrs 31 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 7 Secs
    I would suggest attending JK 101, this will give a feel for wheeling and recovery safely and you will get to enjoy some nice trails. There is a thread in here about it, I believe it is $100 but that also includes your food prepared by the RUBICON GRILL.
    BTW
    WELCOME
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 18 Hrs 55 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 57 Secs
    Big help guys !! To answer your questions this is my daily driver and weekend rig. I will be taking it back and forth to work and to the trails on weekends. Creature comforts I like but I can do without. I did go to CT Motorsports today and thanks to ski I think I'm ready to start. He gave me alot of really good advice and I'm detonators going to make that my one stop shop... That is for installations and work that is beyond me. I will start with the 4" suspension kit lift and 33" tires. The kit includes all hardware Leafs shocks transfer case drop and pitman arm drop. And rub my 33's and go from there... Thanks for the referral it was an eye opener and I feel confident that what I've decided to do will work for me and I have found the right guys to do it.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 4 Hrs 15 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 52 Secs
    Don't ask me, i've had a YJ sitting apart in the garage for 6+ years.

Welcome to the site, start with the simple stuf fyou know you can do and ask questions for the rest. Helpful bunch here.

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Hrs 32 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 35 Secs
    this is NOT official but i was told tht modern auto parts in waterford has a jeep in thier yard has a yj 4" suspension lift in really good shape. shocks, springs etc i guess they want $150.00....may be worth a call. like i said, i cannot confirm this myself but was told by an employee that works there. sry if i wasted your dime

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 9 Hrs 15 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 21 Secs
    Glad to see the boys at CT Motorsports took the time to give you some options and understanding. Customer service and relations go a long way these days.

Good luck with the beginning of your build and future upgrades, see you on the trail.

Grimm