Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1991 YJ Buildup- D44s, 6,0L LQ4/700r4/NP241C + more

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 9 Hrs 37 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 29 Secs
    now that ive gotten all my connectors identified, the wiring doesnt seem too bad at all. It is extremely time consuming, but not as mind-boggling as i had pictured it to be.

I have removed a good chunk of the connectors that will be reused and put them off to the side to create my new/organized loomes. I will be ordering more wire as id like to add some length to everything so i have the ability to place whereever i choose.

Im bored and have been compiling a list of all the bits and pieces i need to collect before this is driveable

Here it is as i have it now:
    - 7004r Dipstick Tube
    - Driveshaft (have my current rear to be cut to size/balanced, and my front to figure out what im doing :P. I think i have the flange on the NP241C, so either a driveshaft that has flange on one end, and yoke on other, or get an adapter piece and get a different shaft, etc)
    - NP241C shifter
    - OBD2 wiring shit for the harness
    - exhaust
    - windshield+hinges
    - tailgate hinges to do a tailgate conversion (making it like a truck)
    - checker palte/diamond plate for the door panels and dash, if enough left over - tailgate
    - gas filler/cap and tubes (my other one is rotted out and the tubes are too short after the body lift)
    - fuel lines
    - brake lines
    - tie rod (thinking 1 ton TREs)
    - draglink
    - steering stabilizer (want to go with a double, but a single will do)
    - shocks/shock tabs
    - tube fenders
    - POR15

possibly a new fuel pump... im not sure what the stock PSI is on the YJ ones and if itll be able to handle it. Id like to eventually upgrade my tank as the 20 gallon is going to be a bit small...

Things i have but need to do:
    - traction bar
    - crossmembers/flat skid plate
    - finish up the wiring
    - make up a bracket for the TV cable kit
    - clean up my welds for the flooring
    - paint the interior
    - make up a flat dash with my dakota digital dash (with this im going to have to figure out how to keep my air vents for the defrost as it'll be neccessary when passing safety)

and thats it as far as i can think of off the top of my head haha. I would like to get this ready soon so i can enjoy a bit of wheeling (havent been in a couple years, busy with work up, tour, starting the build, moving, etc :P)

Now im hoping i can buckle down and get it finished, but with the wife constantly nagging me to not spend time on the jeep, or not spend so much money on the jeep, im afraid this project may take a few years

Awaiting parts, hopefully postal strike can go away so i can get them!

Ordered Y-link steering kit from Ruffstuffspecialties. My current tie-rod has a piece of angle iron welded onto it to fix a crack. As good as his welds look, Im not going to put other lives in jeopardy at the risk of saving a few bucks.

Also have the remainder of my wiring stuff coming in (was missing the 7004r connector, and CTS connector)... also needed OBD2 diagonostic stuff, and some relays/fuse blocks.

Need to figure out what im going to do for shocks. From the stock shock tower to the top of the axle it is 27" on the front. Most of the shocks ive been looking at have the eyelet on both ends, and with the shock towers, its the pin type... I dont really want to order new towers as id like to keep costs on this project to a minimum.

From ruffstuff as well, i ordered 4 pairs of shock tabs (2 pairs curved, and 2 pairs with short radius' for the fronts).

Im not sure if the pitman arm will need an upgrade since im running high-steer... but it is a hefty lift as well :S

Once I have the new tie-rod and draglink in, ill look at getting a steering stabilizer. I am debating between a single and dual. While a dual will obviously be better, will it be neccessary? I am planning on using the jeep frequently, but mostly to-from and obviously on trails. Not going to be my DD.

Picked up a sheet of aluminum checker plate from Richmond Hill last weekend, and cant wait to start chopping it up and putting it in place (inside door panels, dash, and tailgate). Also on my trip to Niagara i picked up a chrome grill. Needs a bit of a buff-up but it looks good on there (will take some pics once its shiny...er)

I had a windshield/glass/hinges all lined up in Wasaga Beach on my way back last weekend, but the guy wasnt able to get the hinges off the tub, so no go
    Still need to find that, as well as some hood hinges (hood hinges are for the tailgate conversion).

Busy busy busy at home and at work, so the jeep is kinda on the back burners aside from ordering parts for it. Once the shed is errected here ill have more room to store my stuff, rather than inside the jeep :P. With that, ill be able to have the freedom to paid the inside with the rhino-liner-like material i got from Canadian Tire. Want to pick up a can of the farm equipment paint to cover the diffs, steering stuff (pretty much anythign understide) in. I know it comes in a couple s as well (black, yellow, or green).

Im prepping to have the tube fenders by Trail Head made up for when i head down south to Chatham early-mid july. Should look purrrrdy.

Once the wiring stuff gets here, i should have my harness completely stand-alone and ready to roar. But im missing the shifter linkage on my NP241C and the dipstick/tube for the 7004r... Those parts are also on route as well, so hopefully i can at least fire it up shortly.

Next big plans would be getting the brake lines done up, and new fuel lines as well. My gas spout thinger was rusted to hell, so i took it off and need to find a replacement... the tubing also needs an extension thanks to the body lift.

I have a question about LQ4 intake cover.

the front piece (circled in the picture) is one of 2 that holds the cover onto the engine. It so happens that the circled item is loose. It is no longer attached to the engine, but is free with the cover. It doesnt look like its snapped off, as everythings fairly smooth and flush.... but maybe it just broke cleanly?

I dont know if it would just a push in, as it is hard plastic, and the bases are the same size.

How is it supposed to be connected? And if it is indeed broken, will glueing it back together work?
    Last edited by koesdibyo; 06-19-2011 at 07:38 PM.

got some cheap mud flaps from B & I Trucks, and a ubolt made up. The mud flaps are 24"x30, so i got 2 and will be cutting them up for all 4 corners.

Ordered my shocks today as well from performance4trucks.com

Great prices... only issue is they ship with UPS on large items, so im expecting a nice big swift kick to the nads when the package arrives. Went with ES3000s, for the fronts they will be 36" extended and 20" collapsed, and rears will be 32" extended, 18" collapsed. Price came to $129.99 for the shocks, plus $50 for UPS shipping... and expected at least $50 worth of UPS garbage fees.

Shocks are here, the stock shock bolts for the rear are too big... go figure. So will be cutting them and welding a new bolt on.

Ordered all my oils since ill finally be able to seal up the tranny (no dipstick/tube). Going with the high quality stuff, Royal Purple. Ordered from KitcoAutoPart which does free delivery to the GTA area. Got a 5 gallon of the ATF tranny fluid, 5 quarts of 75w140 for the diffs, and 10w30 for the engine. The tcase im running mobil 1.

Hoping the other items i ordered over a month ago finally come... engine wiring stuff, and the steering kit.

Will be going down to chatham this weekend and picking up a windshield/glass and chrome hinge set, and hopefully a steering stabilizer.

Ive been overloaded with things on my plate and havent really had a chance to get much work on the jeep. And the girlfriend nagging me and holding me back is really getting on my nerves. Im going to pick up a gallon of farm equipment paint to start doing all the things on the underside with (diffs, ubolts, plates, and so forth).

I dug out the welder, its just a mastercraft flux core and its a few years old... so ill see how well it still works, plus im not the greatest welder either. Start putting up my crossmembers, my traction bar kit, and im getting the tie-rods/drag link professionally welder.

Id like to get my diamond plate cut up and put on shortly, its just sitting outside collecting dust/grime/etc and starting to make me sad with how un-shiny it is now.

During my trip to Chatham I got some goodies .

On the way down, I picked up my Royal Purple from OverDrive Auto in Vaughan. 5 gallon of MAX ATF tranny, 6 quarts of 10w30, and 5 quarts of 75w140. I was going with Kitco, but they called me as their site had a glitch and the price quoted online was different from actual price, and they dont offer shipping. Overdrive had some unbeatable prices. $371 after taxes for everything.

While the gf was at the baby shower, I took a trip down to Windsor. Picked up a windshield frame/good glass for $75, and the guy had a full set of chrome hinges(tailgate, door, windshield, hood, hood latches) he threw in for another $75. The jeep is going to the scraps, so he even gave me the hood for free

On the way home, stopped off in Acton to grab a filler neck/bezel from Tazz91yj. Thanks again, really appreciate it!

Trip to Buffalo was very productive.

My D44s are now gone... but in their place will be some Ford D60s:
    - Rear is a 00' E350 FF (4.10 gears)
    - Front is an 89 F350 DRW (4.10 gears)

Plan is to narrow the front 5" to avoid having to outboard my springs, and to bring it back to a reasonable width since having the DRW hubs.

I have my 4340 custom inner shaft made up already for the 5" shortening.

Also for this I will be running high steer, and got a set of springless high steer arms with hardware.

New perches/ubolts/perches and "shock plate kit" from ruffstuffcustoms:

I picked up my new tires recently (44" super swampers) and cant wait to get them mounted.

Im waiting to pick up a welder so I can get to putting everything in and together.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    We want more pics

Looks like a fun project but it is sitting too high for my liking.
    Obsessed about offroading and moved from Spain to Vaughan.

Owner of a never ending YJ project: BUILD THREAD
    Winter beater 1998 Toyota 4Runner
    Owner of a Suzuki Sammy back in Spain
    www.d-limit.com

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 14 Hrs 50 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 6 Secs
    ^Agreed. Looking forward to seeing it sitting on axles.

Did the E350 come with disc brakes?

I want to get rid of my body lift, and just cut up the hood where the engine needs clearance.

And you betcha to the disc brakes . Plus it already has the ebrake too!

Holy thread resurrection. Over a year of it sitting with barely anything done, I finally have some time to work on it. I have a proper driveway (no more gravel... no more 10x20 portable shelter that I have to share with a motorcycle/lawnmower/other crap... no more slope! Its amazing, and I actually have motivation to get out and do shit).

While the city didnt let me build a garage (set back laws prevented it), I was able to set up a concrete slab at the top that is relatively level (bit of a slope for drainage), and finish the remainder of the driveway with asphalt. I then bought on of the big tall portable shelters and have that set up over the concrete slab for my workspace.

But no one cares about that... the build is what matters. Do to where it sat, motionless, exposed to a lot of weather for the last year... Ive had to go backwards a bit and fix some things. And in that year long span, Ive had time to rethink some things and there will be some minor variations to my original plans.

So I found a 78/79 ford front D60, which is a direct bolt in, and got rid of the late 80s model DRW d60 that I had (no chopping). The e350 needs new brakes all around, so thats on order and ready to come in.
    Will be running 4.10s, and the front currently has 3.53 in it. I have the gears, just waiting on a master install kit and shopping around for a locker to put in at the same time. I want this to be road worthy - obviously not a DD, so I may just go with a spool to keep things cheap.
    Took out my 4" YJ leaf springs all around. Rear springs will be 54" long with 24.5" and 27.5" ends. The front springs ideally I would like to be waggys for a little extra stretch, but they're hard to come by, so a stock set of YJ springs up front will have to do for the time being.

With the rear stretch, stock gas tank position isnt feasible... well Ive heard of giving the gas tank plate/gas tank a little love with a hammer to conform around the pumpkin. Unsure of what I want to do at this point. Ive got the idea of cutting out the floor and raising the tank a few inches or running a fuel cell in my mind at this point.
    The back seat isnt going to be much concern to my at this point, as you will read on, I plan to enclose the front seats and make the YJ truck-like.

I had a hardtop that my father-in-law backed into and smashed the rear glass on. It was going to go to scrap, when I decided to utilize it and try to make a half-top (scrambler style). I cut it up with a sawzall, and plan to mesh the 2 halves that I have together with some fiberglass. The rollbar is in the way, so Im going to cut the back legs off if it and will eventually put in a custom rollcage or possibly an exo-cage.
    I cut out the corners of another YJ that I will be fitting and welding in place so the back of the halftop has something to sit on properly.

I had a set of full doors I didnt want anymore... they didnt sell, so I decided to cut em up and make half doors. Got a little welding to do to fill in the seam from where the glass used to come out of.

Since my current rear bumper has clevis shackles right in the way of where my way-back shackle hangers are supposed to go, its on the for sale list and a new bumper will be in order. The old one was what looked like a custom, and was built well... but I want to go above and beyond with reinforcing it as a lot more stress will be put on it now with the springs hanging off it as well.

Still plan to go high steer, and have the steering arms mocked up on the front. The steering arm/cap were a bit of a bitch to get off, and need a lot of coaxing with the grinder. I was able to get 7 out of 8 out, but of course... 1 just has to be a pain in the ass. I drilled it out through it, and tried an easy-out with no luck... wont budge. Keep letting it soak with some more PB hoping one of these days it'll magically come out. I hoping I can drill it a bit more and maybe get a pencil grinder in there to crack a seam so I can get it out without too much damage to the threads. Otherwise I guess I'll have to resort to drill and re-tap a size larger on the 1 stud.

Last edited by koesdibyo; 06-19-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Anyone know somewhere that carries carbide burrs? Princess auto was a no go when I was there this morning, and CDN tire guy didnt have a clue what a carbide burr is.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 3 Days 19 Hrs 52 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 22 Secs
    charles jones inudstrial suppliers
    2012 JKU Sahara, SD HP60 Front, GM 14 Bolt shaved rear, 5.38s, locked/Spooled, 4 link front 3 link rear, Oris, TR Double Beadlocks, 42" tsl sx2, PSC Full Hydro, D3 bumpers, D3 skids, D3 Rock Rails, D3 Cage, and lots more...
    OF4WD #5252

I ended up having to go off ebay since nothing local carried any :P

Ps. thanks for those fenders, they look sweet. I'll have some more updates shortly with pics. Im off for a week again starting the end of this week so I should get some stuff done

Time Online: 2 Days 12 Hrs 43 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Secs
    brafasco has carbides
    99 Forestview Rd Orillia, ON L3V 6H1
    (705) 326-2500
    does not play well with others