Thread: turning C's

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 3 Hrs 8 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 8 Secs

turning C's

any tips or tricks? should i bother turning them or just throw on some solid ones? If i do throw on the solid ones should i bother to try to keep the old ones or hack them to shit to get them off. i ground the piss out of everything last night and found a good deal on C's but I dont wana throw the cash into these right now when i need an output for the 300. I got the basic princapl down, would much rather get someone to do it for me, any takers???
    KUSS
    Stupid Fukin Nature
    OF4WD# 2660

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 16 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    I did it on a scout 44.

It took Dubya and I each with a hammer simultaneously, one on each side of the C. Only took an hour or two.

Main tips:
    - fasten down the axle rigid so that movement doesn't absorb the hammer hits. We turned the 44 while it was bolted in to the truck.
    - be careful when grinding not to take too much from the axle tube.

What output do you need for the 300?

My Mood
    Drunk
    i need a 32 spline output with a VSS my engine requires a speed sensor and the short shaft wont allow one. so what your saying is you are going to come down for a day or 2 and drink beer and help rotate C's???

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 10 Hrs 4 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 59 Secs
    You can do It

But you should also put the Solids on cause money grows on those trees you been plantin rumors has it

Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 51 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs
    I did my 60's a couple months ago I had to grind the weld right off and die grind into the c to get the weld right out.

Here is my axle thread http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8757

All in all its not as bad as you would think. Once you do a set you will never be concerned about doing it again.

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 59 Secs
    DOne it with 2 44's now. You have to stick about as much effort to getting the old c's off to get the new ones on as you would to do a cut and turn. I did one in the Jeep and one on my work bench. Grinding is easier on the bench but the beating is easier if the axle is mounted in the Jeep.

I just don't see what the benefit of putting new Solid C's on is other than increased strength when you don't even know if you are going to break stock c's. Why not what until you break one to then think about switching to aftermarket C's?

My Mood
    Drunk
    ya i passed on the C's. they were a good price but i needed more important parts at this time. Grinding is mostly done, got to get into the C's a bit more. Not too sure how im going to steady everything yet. putting them in the heep isnt an option, so ill have to find a way to hold them down. thinking i may even weld them to something like a couple old I beams we will see. unless dave is going to get his ass up here and do them for me

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    I just put a VSS in a stock D300 shorty output. Dunno what motor you are running but I got a universal that fits between the output and the speedo cable.

Grind until you see a crack all the way around and use a decent digital angle finder to get the angle the same on both sides.

http://howellefi.com/?subcats=Y&type...search.results
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

My Mood
    Drunk
    didnt know there was such a thing. no matter now, got a output on its way. will have a short output D300 for sale soon!

My Mood
    Drunk
    so what magic # did everyone aim for and how do you like it? I have read anywhere between 2* to 6*. supposedly the larger the tire size the less you can get away with, after spending a saterday grinding and still not done i decided to arrange everything under the jeep to get an idea of how much i needed to go. so the with out moving they seem to be sitting around the 2* mark. which makes me think they have already been turned by the PO. I was going to go with 4* just to keep it in the middle. is the work worth the 2*? and lets be honnest my little CT angle finder is reading a different # on either side. i wana assume thats either the floor or the gauge. blah! dave get up here and do it for me! oh and you can put together one of the 2 tcases i have now.

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 59 Secs
    I went 7* with 36" tires. And I like it. I think I could have gone less and been alright.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    I started with 6 and got death wobble at 80-100 with 39s now at 3 and is good to 110. Less angle with bigger rubber because the contact patch is is farther forward from the centre line with an increase in diameter.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 16 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    i always set mine to stock YJ, which is 6-9* depending on transmission i believe.

I never had an issue with any vibes with up to 35" tires