Thread: What to do with all them Switches?

Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 54 Secs

What to do with all them Switches?

So I had 5 switches for all my Auxiliery lights mounted on hangers under the dashboard, And i kept breaking the dam things getting into the jeep, my foot managed to always catch them when climbing into the thing.

So here is what I did to solve it.

Step one, source out some new switches, and this is what i came up with, got them for 2.50$ a switch plus tax.

Nice little flat switches with a light built into them When they are on/off I picked 4 Blue ones, and one Green one

The blue ones are for my Off road lights, and the green one is to turn on the interior lights, im not sure if YJs have a switch to turn on the interior light or not, and if they do, mine dont work, so I made a new one.

I made the interior light work by splicing into the the door light button. Took one wire from my switch, spliced into the wire, took the other wire from the switch, and tied it to a ground.

Step 2 wire them up.

This switches have 3 lines to them , 2 of them are to run the switch, the 3rd one powers the built in light.

So i have 2 wires to work the relay, and the other wire i tied into an Aux power source, that is key triggers. I happened to use the wire going to my stereo because it was Conveniently located in the spot where all my wires came down.

Step 3 Make holes

So i decided that underneath my gauges in the center was an ideal sport to put my switches, and its easy to remove, 3 screws on top, 3 in the center, and looks like it had lots of room to put wires. Also was easy to fish them through the dash to tie into where i had all the relay wires coming into the firewall for the old switches.

The switches i got had a template online that i printed out, so i used that to trace the holes and space them out. I then went to worth with my dermal tool, and cut out the hole, I suppose a drill would have worked just as well, but i dont have a drill

And what the finished job.

Everything worked out as planned! I apologize for not having some more install pictures, but i did it at 3am and my phone does not like taking picutures in the dark, ill take some photos of the park mounted in the jeep in the daylight.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 4 Hrs 13 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 4 Secs
    I did something pretty similar to that a couple years ago in my old YJ too. Make sure you give your wiring enough slack to work with. I wish I had the first time I wired my switches up!
    http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...-up&highlight=
    What the f@wk? I cut this steel twice now and its still too short!

Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 54 Secs
    Yaeah, i figured that out when wireing it too, I left enough slack to hopefully be able to pull the panel off for what ever reasons i may need to drop that panel again.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

And the finished Job

Uploaded with ImageShack.us