Thread: drive shaft boot

Time Online: 1 Mth 22 Hrs 49 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 33 Secs

drive shaft boot

I just noticed that the front drive shaft boot on my 4dr jk is broke. I think there is still half of it left.What kiind of problems will I get if I leave it? Any quick fixes?

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement boot? Dealers and auto parts don't carry them unless you buy the shaft too!
    Last edited by mrduggit; 06-20-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Wave Killen' 4dr

OF4WD Member # 6449

Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 55 Secs
    by Front drive-shaft bolt, Do you mean the one of the 4 bolts holding the U-joints ?

Remove the other 3 bolts, drop the drive shaft, and pray to the jeep gods that there is enough of the 4th bolt sticking out to get a pair of pliars on it to back the rest of the bolt out.

I snapped 3 of the 4 bolts on my jeep last year, i was lucky with sticking a needle and catching the threads and slowly managed to back them out, one of them had to be drilled out tho... not a fun job, if ur going to try and drill it, id suggest getting a reverse bit, and using the drill backwards, might get lucky and spin the busted shaft out.

Leaving it would risk breaking the other bold, and having the driveshaft fall out.... Altho my YJ the front axle does not spin unless im in 4 wheel drive. not sure if the JKs are the same, if they are you probably have more time to deal with it.

I mean the rubber "boot" that covers the drive shaft. I don't know what it is called. Looks like the rubbers on shocks.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 6 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 7 Hrs 41 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 41 Secs
    Heard of someone else having same issue just before JK101
    is there enough meat on it to take one side and flap it over the other and out a tie strap on it? I would try and replace it before to much junk gets in there and mucks the whole thing up.
    1952 Jeep M38 project

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 15 Hrs 43 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 40 Secs
    It's a common problem on the JKs and unfortunately it means it's time ti change it. That boot holds grease in and once it's out it will eventually seize up. Ice heard they can rebuild them but you buy a used one on here for way less.

Ask me how I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeepless!!

Retread #3
    Member# 5883

Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 10 Hrs 5 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs
    I have a boot that came off a? used to work at Driveshaft factory if your interested, PM me
    2005 Rubicon 35 "Baja MTZ Mickey Thompson Tires with M/T Polished Classic Lock Style rims, 8000lb Warn Winch,Safari Snorkle, Fabtech 6" longarm.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman View Post
    It's a common problem on the JKs and unfortunately it means it's time ti change it. That boot holds grease in and once it's out it will eventually seize up. Ice heard they can rebuild them but you buy a used one on here for way less.

Ask me how I know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi ya Ron, are you still running with a stock front shaft? I was thinking to order an up-grade and have it handy when this one goes

My Mood
    Grumpy
    I am yes, always seems when mine goes I can grab another for $50 or so and thats way better than $400. Im a Jeep owner money is always tight. Some day I will upgrade both.

Try ballisticjeep.com

Ya $50 is way better, can you let me know if you here of one? Haven't seen one yet, will a 2dr work? thanks

My Mood
    Grumpy
    just put up a post in the want to buy section. Doesnt take long. I think Chad may have a set hes trying to get rid of.