Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this YJ????

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs

What do you think of this YJ????

Hi Jeepkings,

Ive been to see a Jeep Wrangler YJ around my area, its a 1994 4.0 5 speed manual, engine has been rebuilt (had flat battery so didnt get to hear it run) for $4500 etested and safety. How does this look? He claims a few things and I want to check its true. I come from Europe so Im not that familiar with Wranglers and Dana axels.

He claims the Jeep has Dana 60 axels front and rear from a Ford Bronco, is this the case?

I have notices it has a SYE kit which is good, but the transmission looks short from the amount of spline showing no?

Ive also noticed it has a hydraulic power steering (hybrid by the looks of it) not too informed on this:

Rust wise it looks good, which is useful as Im not good at dealing with body work....
    This is what I found the most rusty:

This is the Jeep:

The guy says it used to run 35" but he bought these 33".... so not sure how its geared....

Positives I see:
    SYE kit
    Dana 60 (if they are)
    Hydro power steering
    Not much rust on frame or tub
    Rebuilt engine
    5 Speed manual

Negatives:
    Body lift, I would prob remove it
    No bump stops
    Used to have an anti axle wrap bar but its been removed, will need to put this back in for serious offroading
    No panhard bar, so on the road it must wobble quite a bit

What transfer case does it mount and is it good?

Ok enough of my crap, what do you guys think, the experts
    Obsessed about offroading and moved from Spain to Vaughan.

Owner of a never ending YJ project: BUILD THREAD
    Winter beater 1998 Toyota 4Runner
    Owner of a Suzuki Sammy back in Spain
    www.d-limit.com

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 4 Hrs 14 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 52 Secs
    Seems a little high on the price, that appears to be a Dana 44 front axle and maybe a Ford 9" in the rear???
    Last edited by NINE-T-1-RENEGADE; 07-02-2011 at 01:53 PM.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 22 Hrs 29 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 7 Secs
    Bit much for a YJ in my opinion, and that rust you see is the body mounts rotting out, not fun to fix, can be done, but there is some work there. Also if you are refering to sway bar for the front axle, they are way over rated lol, I don't have one either. Also I removed both track bars front and rear as it limits your flex.
    Also what does the frame look like around the steering box and at the back where the rear shackles mount, they rust like crazy back there.
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 6 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 7 Hrs 41 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 41 Secs
    Price is a little steep. I agree that the driveshaft looks a little short by the amount of splines showing.
    That body mount will not pass safety so if it comes safetied, he knows the mechanic and probably was not checked thoroughly(if at all).
    YJ parts are getting harder and harder to find these days as well. Since the last model year was 1995, even the dealer does not carry many parts.
    1952 Jeep M38 project

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 5 Hrs 27 Mins 3 Secs
    You can buy a TJ in the $4000 range these days. Far better Jeeps for the money. You can pick one up with 4" lift and 33's no problem.

You get coil spring suspension ( I happen to hate leaf springs but to each his own) , none of the frame and body mount rot that is common with YJ's and parts are far more plentiful.

Just my 2 cents

Should be a Dana44 front and Ford 9" rear by the looks of them and would make more sense coming out of a Bronco.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Oh, If you happen to like Suzuki's (based on your signature) a good friend of mine is a Sammy junkie and would have lots of info for you. He doesn't use the web though, so PM me if you wanted to contact him

cheers
    CRAIG-3D CAD junkie-IMAX Screen designer

-97 ZJ #2 LTD...built,flogged & flopped all in a matter of 7 days..redefining luxury wheelin! 97 ZJ Laredo, hand built, abused, and jumped off a 12' snowbank... RIP

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 5 Hrs 11 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 25 Secs
    Its garbage!!!! Hahaha kidding. Other than the rust issues and the price i think its alright. Personally i dont like buying jeeps that are built. Mild lifts are ok but thats it.

But id do what Craig said above! Look into tjs.
    No fingers, no toes, she doesn't own elbows,
    No phalanges no knobby knees to knock.
    She don't need knuckles or hands to go see punk rock bands, She's always in the stands, she's nubs

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 8 Secs
    Too bad you can`t bring your Sammi to Vaughan, cause I`d say keep wheeling that over the YJ you`re looking at

Good luck!
    82' CJ 7 with a few upgrades

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    Too much money IMO.

Not 60's, although the 9" is pretty close.
    Redneck ram assist (which is fine, but it's not a kit)
    So-so tires... not sure what those are, but they're pretty well worn.
    Driveshaft is extended too far.
    That body mount isn't good and won't pass safety legitimately.

And what is that?
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Thanks for the input guys!!!!!

So is this 9" stronger than a Ford 8:8??? Im starting to learn stuff, I like it

Yes in Spain/UK we refer to sway bar as Panhard bar, it stops the axle moving from side to side. My zuk doesnt have one with Missing-link style shackles and it drives fine on the road, other guys put sway bar in, its personal I think.

Noltz well spotted, thats whats left of the anti-wrap system it had, if you look at pics of the axle there are two brackets on each side of axle tubes and there used to be a tube going from bottom of axle to what you have highlighted. Not sure if this works well as the anti-wrap bar on my zuk was similar to spidertrax, but I think it should.

The reason I am looking for something built is because I have just arrived and I have no garage or tools, so building something from stock is going to be hard, while buying something built and with basic tools, grinder, welder, I can maintain and improve things I see need improvement. I want to go have fun and repair/improve stuff, but Im not too keen on building something, specially due to the fact I dont have tools or a place to do this.... But Im open to everything and if I find a good stock Wrangler I will get it.

I also prefer the looks of a YJ so thats why I look for it so much, although I see a lot of advice to keep clear and go for TJ. But once you go past 35" you need a long arm kit, so might as well go YJ route and then build a long arm for it... but this would be at a much later stage...

Im also very familiar with SOA and leaf springs and I knwo its cheap to improve compaired to coils, unless here Coil kits are very cheap and this is not the case, would love to hear comments on this.

My zuk is great fun, ive had it for 5 years and love it, but what ive always wanted is a Wrangler, the zuk is the cheap alternative in Europe and now its the moment, specially seeing that Wranglers are cheaper than zuk LOL.

Sorry for the brick of text guys

Thanks

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    Certainly looks like a wheel able jeep. But price is an issue.... The rear is a 9". Is it stronger than an 8.8? IMO. They a one in the same

From another site

Donor Vehicles:AEROSTAR 90-96, BRONCO 81-94, EXPLORER 90-96, RANGER W/4.0 90-92, E & F150-250 83-96, F100 81-90
    Application: Rear
    Type: Semi-floating
    Axle Shaft Diameter: 1.31 Inches
    Spline count: 28, 31
    Ring Gear Diameter: 8.8 Inch
    Factory ratios: 2.47:1 through 4.10:1
    Maximum tire size for stock axle: 37-inch
    Strong point: Approximately the same pinion diameter as a Dana 60, mass availability
    Weak point: C-clips
    Junkyard jewel: Look for fullsize Ford trucks made after late '86 with ABS because these axles had a larger 7/8-inch-diameter cross pin. Also look for late-model Explorers equipped with these axles because they have disc brakes and 31-spline axles.
    Building secrets: The stock diff cover is very thin, so replace it with a quality aftermarket cover. Also, apply silicone to the pinion splines because some builders have found that they're prone to leaking
    Aftermarket alternatives: Currie Industries, Custom Differentials, DTS Custom Service, Mountain Off Road Enterprises
    Notes: An Explorer 8.8-inch is a popular swap for TJ Wranglers because it's almost exactly the same width as the stock Wrangler axles and thus requires no width modifications. Further, Alan at Mountain Off Road Enterprises says that the Explorers used the same wheel bolt pattern as a TJ. Other vehicles that used the 8.8-inch axle included Ford -ton trucks from '80 to present, and Mustang GTs.
    Ranger VS Explorer: The Rangers use a 28-spline 8.8-Inch axle on 4.0 Liter engine applications and a 31-spline axle on FX4 applications. All Explorer's are equipped with a 31-spline 8.8-Inch axle
    more info

Ford 9"

Donor Vehicles:BRONCO 67-86, E&F 100&150, 57-86, E200 68-74
    Application: Rear
    Type: Semi-floating
    Axle Shaft Diameter: 1.19 and 1.33 Inches
    Spline count: 28 or 31
    Ring Gear Diameter: 9 Inch
    Factory ratios: 2.50:1 through 4.56:1
    Maximum tire size for stock axle: 37-inch
    Strong point: Removable third member allows for easy upgradeability, can upgrade to larger-diameter pinion
    Weak point: Difficult to remove third member if an axleshaft breaks, stock pinion-shaft diameter is smallish
    Junkyard jewel: They're hard to find, but some Ford -ton 4x4 pickups were equipped with an optional nodular-iron 9-inch, which was stronger and offered less chance of bearing-cap failure
    Building secrets: Replace the crush sleeve in the pinion bearing with solid spacers and shim kit. This eliminates the movement of the pinion shaft under hard load
    Aftermarket alternatives: Currie Enterprises, Custom Differentials, DTS Custom Service, National Drivetrain Inc., Randy's Ring & Pinion
    Notes: be careful when hunting for a 9-inch in junkyards because they are cosmetically similar to the weak (and expensive) Ford 8-inch axle. Also beware of the 9 3/8-inch axles in Lincoln cars because they also look similar but take a different axle length on one side due to their slightly offset housing.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

Other than the left rear body mount issue there, there's nothing that screams at me to run away. I'd ask to take it to your own guy for the safety (who can be anybody, just not 'his guy') for $4500 though.

that body mount looks like the sheet metal rusted away and he tacked in a plate. Not uncommon... just sucks that it was kinda half-assed when the rest of the truck looks like he did his homework on it. How the steering feel? Redneck ram's sometimes feel like crap or don't turn fast enough for street use (emergency maneuver).

My Mood
    Amazed
    Thanks for the info Jak Flash.

Noltz someone built the truck and then this guy bought it. This guy that bought it doesnt know much about serious offroading and I knew more than him and Im new to Jeeps lol. So maybe some of the bad stuff was done after he bought it. Car has a dead battery so I didnt even get to listen to the engine, let alone test drive it.... but its good to know about the redneck ram not being direct enough.

Im going to keep searching as there is more out there, this one was just convenient as it was a bus ride away, helps when you dont have a car lol, will have to arrange lots of appointment one weekend and rent a car, then make a decision, thats the plan :-)

For this one what would be a correct price $3500? Thats what I was thinking of offering before I asked but now I have even more reasons lol.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Forgot to ask, what about transfer case wise? Is this the stock one and is it strong? Is this the Dana 300 transfercase?

Yep... that would be a fair price for the jeep as it sits. Anything can be fixed, and properly fixed it's a $5k jeep I'm sure. I think given you need a daily driver you should be looking at TJ's over YJ's. I'm all for the simplicity that YJ's offer, but TJ's ride nicer, are easier to diagnose (pre 2003 at least), and have fully galvanized frames and bodies. Not that it makes them rust free - they're still JEEPS! - but WAY less issues than the YJ's have.

And I'm not an expert in identifying cases, but that looks like a regular 231 with a SYE kit to me.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Herve-D-Limit View Post

Im also very familiar with SOA and leaf springs and I knwo its cheap to improve compaired to coils, unless here Coil kits are very cheap and this is not the case, would love to hear comments on this.
    You are right, to get a TJ up to 6"+ cost 10x the cost of getting a YJ to the same height. So if you are on a budget and want to go really big, a YJ is the one. BUT, like I said before(and others as well), the TJ is a much nicer daily driver, more reliable due to age, and easier to find parts for it(here in the parts section and at the local store)
    I would love to buy a YJ again for trail use only but just don't have the space. But a YJ as a daily driver, especially one like this one would not be my choice as a daily driver.
    Also agree that the look of the YJ is nicer in it's own ways. I like the square headlights(no flaming please ), I like the interior simplicity.

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 20 Hrs 26 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 53 Secs
    Hydrallic steering on the street is a nono[illegal] will get you an unsafe vehicle ticket,plates pulled.vehicle impounded exspensive tow bill. Be careful! Bubb

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 9 Hrs 22 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 2 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak Flash View Post
    The rear is a 9". Is it stronger than an 8.8? IMO. They a one in the same
    Except things like the difference in ring gear size and the huge bonus of a third pinion support.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    Hydrallic steering on the street is a nono[illegal] will get you an unsafe vehicle ticket,plates pulled.vehicle impounded exspensive tow bill. Be careful! Bubb
    Is that the case? I was good till the expensive tow bill

My Mood
    Amazed
    WOW more useful info coming, didnt know it was a nono the redneck ram (I like that name lol). But I think a police officer would have to be into the sport to notice it, but its good to know that if he does know about it they can screw you up well....

I had my Sammy as a daily driver and it was ok, im used to driving something that doesnt drive like a road car. I also live close from work, about 9km away, so its not far at all. And if it all goes wrong or it breaks I can go by bus to work, so its not that bad. But points taken towards the TJ. But at the moment Im using Kijiji and I dont see many TJs...

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Check Autotrader.ca as well

My Mood
    Amazed
    Thanks for that Brad

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Turns out most TJ are in Autotrader.ca, seen some good looking ones, very clean for a lot less money, now I see where you guys are coming from

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Happy shopping

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Just as a ballpark, I picked up my 2001 TJ with 135,000kms for $5300 safetied and emission tested
    It came with hard top(mint condition) and soft top(almost mint condition) with no missing pieces. Also came with brand new 30" or 31" tires(can't remember what size they were now)
    It was stock so required a 4" lift (used 1 year for $500) and 33" rubber and rims (used for $600)
    I think it was a good deal but have seen better deals since my purchase, as well as some that are way to high in price.