Thread: Looking for a bike... Recommendations?

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 44 Secs

Looking for a bike... Recommendations?

I'm looking for my first bike. I like the SV650 because it's 650cc, naked, and has a stand-alone light in the front (I prefer it over the light integrated into the fearing).

Bike 1 - $5,400
    http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ295149114
    Funny story... the guy is out of province (spoke with him on the phone), but the bike is here. His girlfriend will show me the bike whenever I can find time to go up there. It's currently not licensed or insured... not sure how this will affect when I want to license it.

Bike 2 - $7,899 (but I can finance)
    http://www.twowheelmotorsport.com/mo...60316bb295.htm
    Maybe not from this dealership, but I can have a new Gladius for not that much.

Bike 3 - $5,400 (I think it just sold)
    http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ288682459
    I made an offer, but I think it just sold for asking.

What do you guys recommend?
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

Orbiting Earth, currently over Binbrook, ON
    My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 22 Hrs 48 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 27 Secs
    Joe I have zero knowledge in this stuff but I love the look of bike #3 !

edit: wait a sec, they are all the same though arent they ?
    Member & Supporter of:
    Rockspyder4x4, Krawlerz Off-Road Enthusiasts, Central Ontario 4x4, Canadian Nissan Truck Club, London & Area Jeep Owners Club, Tri-city Jeep Club, and Ontario Federation of 4wd Recreationalists

Same bike, different years. And Jeff, I promise to keep the bike off the trails.

mugsy is offline Mugsy the Animal Steel-Moderator
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 8 Hrs 4 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 57 Secs
    Joe look across the border, super easy to bring back and 1/3 the price off

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/2424563762.html

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/2447216975.html

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/2454764634.html

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ295918258
    my wife (RIP) hated my jeep too so i ran her over with it and now we are both happier (me and the jeep)

RETREAD #13

04 Wrangler, 4" lift and 33's

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 18 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 49 Secs
    i had a chance to play on my buddys sv650, i loved it great rider position good for long trips smooth power great for a first bike calm enough to learn on and lots of power to grow into
    bike #1 all stock that's what you should look for
    bike #2 awesome love the look and it will have warranty
    bike #3 has an after market pipe probably has a jet kit aswell usually ridden hard ,thats why you add toys. more power

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 5 Secs
    I know nothing about bikes. But I would pick the first bike. I like the COL0UR and the stock thing is nice.... You can always modify it later when you get the comfort level.

I would agree with r.d.a. Bike 3. Rode hard put away wet....

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 3 Hrs 28 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 41 Secs
    ...Harley
    '05 Rubi, 102" WB, Supercharged 4.0l, 37" MTR's, 14" CO's, Chromos, TerraFlex Swayloc, Currie AntiRock rear, Chevy/Warn 44 Hub Conversion, Stauns, Staang fabbed custom long arms, Tube Fenders & steering.

Time Online: 7 Mths 4 Days 31 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 35 Secs
    im not crazy on the gladius headlight.

having an aftermarket pipe on a bike doesnt always mean that it has been rode hard either. it could also mean that the p.o thought that it sounded super-lame with the stocker on it. and i will almost bet that it did. i know my bike does. lol

Thanks guys.

Bike 1 has been sitting for a bit, and that scares me (less than 9,000km over 3 years)... but that might not be that bad
    Bike 2 only issue is if I should spend the $$$ to buy new on my first bike. Otherwise I love it (took me a bit to get used to that headlight though. Didn't like it at first, but now I do)
    Bike 3 has likely been ridden hard, but that doesn't bother me. No jet kit (FI, not carb), and that aftermarket exhaust is fairly common. KB, this is what I was told about the exhaust (no added power, just sounded 1000x better). It came with new tires and a new chain...

Mugsy, importing a vehicle can be intimidating because there's a lot that needs to be done... not saying it isn't worth it
    • I've never dealt with the RIV (where can I get a bike inspected... other than crappy tire?)
    • How do I ensure that there are no liens on the vehicle?
    • I have to give the border 2 days notice before exporting a vehicle
    • I'll have to make sure I don't pay any state tax when transferring the bike into my name (how do I prove I'm exporting it)
    • I'll likely have to pay 6.1% duty on any imported bike because they weren't made in North America... Although that first SV650 would still be under $4,000 CAD after the import tax... that's a steal for that bike. (The dealer bike, I'd only save $150 or so).

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 41 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 20 Secs
    I think this bike would be your best bet!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PinkMotorcycle.jpg  
    Filthy Dirty Jeep Girl!!!
    '00 Wrangler. Lifted and rear locked. R.I.P
    '98 XJ 3.5 inch lift with 31's- sold
    '03 Cherry Rubi!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 8 Mths 3 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 20 Mins 3 Secs
    Joe, it doesn't matter which one we like, you will never buy it anyway, I mean really, have you bought that pickup you were talking about for the past 18 months, lol.
    Joe+ bike= look out. lol
    WARNING! I am about to do something really fawking STUPID!!!!!!
    ᄅ# pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    93 YJ- RIP- parted out like I should be

My Mood
    Fine
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 14 Hrs 1 Min 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 17 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by thing1 View Post
    Joe, it doesn't matter which one we like, you will never buy it anyway, I mean really, have you bought that pickup you were talking about for the past 18 months, lol.
    Joe+ bike= look out. lol
    he did get his balls back recently though...joe i think you should start with something stockish till you get use to riding a bike(they are cheap enough)then in the future look for your dream bike
    6#DAERTER
    01 TJ

Quote Originally Posted by thing1 View Post
    Joe+ bike= look out. lol
    I knew you would make that comment. A bike is much cheaper, and I never found the exact truck I wanted (Cummins HPCR 5.9 w/out EGR)... not that I could afford it now anyway.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Oh and Caylor, no Harley...

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 15 Hrs 43 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 39 Secs
    the GSXF650 that Mugsy showed is a great bike. Thats what I had for my first bike. Really miss it now. Had lots of power but was very easy to handle, good on insurance too. Have you checked that yet? Might be a decision maker for you.
    Jeepless!!

Retread #3
    Member# 5883

Already checked on the SV, not on the GSX though

My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    Thanks guys.

Bike 1 has been sitting for a bit, and that scares me (less than 9,000km over 3 years)... but that might not be that bad
    Bike 2 only issue is if I should spend the $$$ to buy new on my first bike. Otherwise I love it (took me a bit to get used to that headlight though. Didn't like it at first, but now I do)
    Bike 3 has likely been ridden hard, but that doesn't bother me. No jet kit (FI, not carb), and that aftermarket exhaust is fairly common. KB, this is what I was told about the exhaust (no added power, just sounded 1000x better). It came with new tires and a new chain...

Mugsy, importing a vehicle can be intimidating because there's a lot that needs to be done... not saying it isn't worth it
    • I've never dealt with the RIV (where can I get a bike inspected... other than crappy tire?)
    • How do I ensure that there are no liens on the vehicle?
    • I have to give the border 2 days notice before exporting a vehicle
    • I'll have to make sure I don't pay any state tax when transferring the bike into my name (how do I prove I'm exporting it)
    • I'll likely have to pay 6.1% duty on any imported bike because they weren't made in North America... Although that first SV650 would still be under $4,000 CAD after the import tax... that's a steal for that bike. (The dealer bike, I'd only save $150 or so).
    RIV is super easy to do Joe ( you can ask Fitty on here he does them, he did for me) also RIV has a list of bikes/cars that are allow to be imported.
    5% taxes at border and I think its $195 RIV fee, then the 8% when u register at License Agent here.
    As for lien, Americans dont get a title to sell it until its paid off.
    You can call in VIN # or fax it to border 48hrs before you pick it up, has to be Queenston Border in Niagara area. Again very easy

So I'm doing the math...

Quote Originally Posted by mugsy View Post
    Joe look across the border, super easy to bring back and 1/3 the price off
    http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/2424563762.html
    $3700 USD = ~ $3700 CAD
    + HST ($481)
    + $195 RIV + HST ($220.35)
    + Duty (6.1%) - required for all vehicles manufactured outside of NA ($225.70)
    = ~ $4600 CAD
    That's about $800 - $1000 less than an equivalent bike over here (without bargaining). This seems almost too good to be true. Paging Fitty to the thread, Fitty to the bike thread. Thank you.

He's selling a little high, but comparatively, to those selling high over here.

Same math as above takes $4,700 USD to ~$5,820 CAD. I looked around Ontario and this isn't a bad price either.

Good price, but too far. If it was closer, I'd consider using a CAA tow to bring it home (I still have my M1, so I can't jump on any 400-series highways just yet)

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    Bike 1 - $5,400
    http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ295149114
    Funny story... the guy is out of province (spoke with him on the phone), but the bike is here. His girlfriend will show me the bike whenever I can find time to go up there. It's currently not licensed or insured... not sure how this will affect when I want to license it.
    Going back to this, what problems would/could I run into? I think it's been sitting for a bit of time. It's not currently licensed or insured. What worries me about this (from what I remember) is that it's harder to get temp plates for a vehicle that is not currently plated. If I purchased the vehicle, I'm sure I could have CAA tow it back to Milton and I can work on getting a safety here, but without being able to take it out (legally), what should I look for to see if this is a good buy?
    Last edited by Engineer Joe; 07-09-2011 at 07:41 PM.

My Mood
    Twisted
    ^ those were just qwick googles of random places.....bettter deals out there

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    got a mint 1990 HD FLHS,30,000 K. for sale

Not my style Stach, but thanks.

And Mugsy, I appreciate the effort... 1 of the four is on par with Canadian pricing and the other 3 are good deals.