Thread: Manual Choke Issues...

Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 55 Secs

Manual Choke Issues...

So my 89 YJ has a manual choke set up, The choke is getting "Sticky" what happends is, i can pull the cable no issues, but pushing the cable back in, it just springs out at me. So i figured okay time for a new cable, bought the new cable, lubracated the crap out of it, re-lubed up all the linkage, with out the cable connected, i can move the choke open/closed with a pinky finger, its nice and lose. When I hook the cable back on same dam issue, i can pull the knob out, but i cannot push the knob back in, it just springs back out... While i do this and visual look at it, it appears like the out case the cable runs in, binds and moves instead of the cable moving through it. Where am I going wrong ?

its a 4.2L I6 with the BBD carb on it.

right now i have the cable running out the same hole the Speedo cable runs trough, Do i need to Zip tie the cable at various places? right now the cable is mounted to the bottom of the dash under the headlight switch. goes under my steering column and up through the speedo cable hole, had a lasy S Curv in the engine compartment, and then goes to the carb.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 3 Wks 4 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 8 Secs
    Sounds like routing maybe, or even too much cable length. Was that an aftermarket manual choke assy? The less bends and length the better, (less drag) but could you be missing a return spring, or something like that also?

Good luck!
    82' CJ 7 with a few upgrades

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 16 Hrs 40 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 27 Secs
    There should be a small clamp near the carb that holds the outer part of the cable still while the wire on the inside moves. If this is too far from the carb or not tight enough the outer cable can move without moving the choke linkage....maybe worth checking?
    GoGetMuddy
    OF4WD#6121

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins
    why bother with a choke anyways, you should not need them in the warm weather

Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 10 Hrs 18 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 55 Secs
    Makes the differance if my Jeep fires up on the first crank, or if it takes 30seconds of cranking to get it going.

So i think i fixed the issue, changed the route the cable went, also moved the cable casing closer to the linkage, seem to open and close just fine, now if only my Battery was not dead....