Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OBA anyone?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 56 Secs

OBA anyone?

Many thanks to Eric and Billy at Staang's Fab for the development/fabrication of the York Compressor Mount. This is something I have been piecing together for about a year now and the bracket and installation of the compressor is a major step in getting this system up and running.

This adds the York and runs it off the serpentine belt drive with all the other engine driven accessories, no need for a second belt. It does need a longer belt and relocates the alternator down lower (below the York), but does not eliminate anything (eg. stock a/c system).

This bracket will work on 2000 - 2006 TJ/LJ with 4.0L with or without A/C.

Staang's has this available as a bracket kit for $225. Includes the bracket, hardware, and belt. Add your compressor, tank, fittings, and lines.

I will update this thread with more pics and feedback once I have the full system up and running and have given it a full workout.
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 12 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 20 Secs
    very cool!
    #20OF4WD#3476

"Will roll over for treats"

97 XJ on 36's (with a few mods)

My Mood
    Cynical
    Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 3 Hrs 28 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 41 Secs
    nice
    '05 Rubi, 102" WB, Supercharged 4.0l, 37" MTR's, 14" CO's, Chromos, TerraFlex Swayloc, Currie AntiRock rear, Chevy/Warn 44 Hub Conversion, Stauns, Staang fabbed custom long arms, Tube Fenders & steering.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    As a side note...this bracket works with large case 160 amp alternator upgrade, in case you have already done that swap or want to do it in the future.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 17 Hrs 32 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 49 Secs
    very nice set up, cant wait to see it all put togeter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayheminc View Post
    Life is good in the republic of bacon
    RETREAD #9

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 5 Secs
    Better pictures are required Jeff. But nice upgrade.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 44 Secs
    Looks good Jeff.... another great job by the boys at Staang's Fab.

Any of your pulleys have less belt wrap?
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    Any of your pulleys have less belt wrap?
    Not at all...it is too tight in there to get really good pics to show the belt wrap, but next time you see the Jeep you can have a look...

Will get some better pics up here as soon as I have a chance...

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 32 Secs
    right on jeff
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Okay...you guys twisted my arm...here is a few more pics...

Below is a shot looking straight down between the compressor/bracket and the stock (and completely unmodified) airbox...the nice shiney new bolts/nuts you see further down are the adjustment bolts as the York is now the belt tensioner and the OEM spring loaded tensioner (that is prone to failure) is eliminated, the pulley itself from the OEM tensioner is reused as an idler for belt routing purposes...the crusty old bolts you see up top were original York mounting bolts that came with the compressor when it was pulled from the donor vehicle (1978 T-bird) and will be removed as they are not needed...there is approx 1/4" clearance between the adjustment bolts and the airbox...plenty of clearance...

This one is for Joe, so he can see the belt wrap...the only changes to belt routing are shown in this picture...

Here is a few pics to show the bracket and how it mounts...it completely replaces the factory alternator mount...the OEM mount gets unbolted from the block and the original mounting holes are reused to mount the Staang's Fab bracket...

In that last pic you can see the alternator tucked under the bracket...

Neither myself nor Eric thought to get any pics of the bracket prior to install, but Eric has said he will put a 3D CAD rendering of the bracket up in this thread...being a part of the whole experience from thought, through design, to finished product was very interesting...the amount of time that goes into the initial stages of development with the amount of measurements that need to be taken and quick sketch diagrams, then onto plugging it all into the computer, seeing the renderings, having it sent for laser cutting/bending/etc., and finally the install...top notch work from a couple great guys...

I am very pleased with the end result...I will give it a bit of a test this weekend, then it will be time to pick up a few more items for the system, run some lines and install the tanks...

The plan is to run hard lines from the compressor to two separate tanks...a smaller (approx. 2 gallon tank) mounted under the body to remain in the Jeep all the time and a second larger (10 - 12 gallon) tank that will be removable so it can be quickly installed for wheeling weekends when the potential for more air volume will be required, but removed for daily driving...this second tank will be mounted up top where it will be easily accessible...There will be two quick disconnects, one under the hood and a second inside the back corner of the tub, this quick disconnect will be where the secondary tank connects to the system and the tank itself will have a quick disconnect for hooking up whatever tools may be required...

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

As I said, the compressor came from a 78 T-bird, the serpentine clutch came from an International rig and was picked up from Freelton Truck Parts along with the larger tank (these guys had a huge pile of air tanks of varying sizes to choose from), the smaller tank was salvaged from a small jobsite compressor that had a smoked pump...fittings and miscellaneous parts were purchased from the pneumatic and hydraulic sections at Princess Auto...the plan is to have this system run at 145 psi max (pressure switch will be on at 110, off at 145)...all in, once it is up and running 100% I will be into this for approx $600, less than half what Kilby wants for their full system and I will have 10 times the air volume and don't have to deal with the cross border shipping as they do not have a network of dealers (buy direct only)...

Eric mentioned today that if somebody wanted to go full out (and not deal with the piecing together of a system on their own) he could supply the whole system (including a brand new compressor) and do the install for you...there was no mention of price for a full system, but if you are interested give the guys a call...

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 25 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 43 Secs
    Looks killer. Alot more belt wrap then I have on my SBC and I still have no problems.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Looks good Jeff.

you mentioned that you would be using hard lines ffrom the compressor to the tanks.... are you planning to put a short link of soft lines to allow for engine movement?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak Flash View Post
    are you planning to put a short link of soft lines to allow for engine movement?
    I will be using the soft bendable copper tubing, so not a traditional HARD line...the tubing I will be using is rated for refrigeration and home a/c units, my research shows it is rated for 300+ psi so I am confident I will not have any issues...as for the engine movement versus body/frame non movement, I will be putting loops in (similar to what you would see on brake lines at the master cylinder) to account for that...there will be a loop before the filter/check valve/manifold setup (under the hood) and a second loop under the Jeep where the smaller tank will be mounted as the line will be mounted to the frame and the tank will be bolted to the tub.

I may replace the fittings at the compressor...the big honkin' silver ones seen in this pic...

They are not the "proper" fittings for an OBA setup to convert the "oddball" old school compressor fittings to an NPT fitting for air use, but they seem to be doing the job so far (gave it a test run sans tank this morning)...my issue is with how far they stick up...these things are huge...although they are not contacting the actual hood, they are rubbing on the underhood installation (partially because of the size and partially because the insulation is saggy)...didn't really want to drop the $45+shipping/taxes to get the fittings from Kilby (the insert with the o-ring is the PROPER style for the compressor I have) when the fittings I currently have (which have a compression end that so far seems to be sealing well) cost me $10...we will see how that goes in the future...

Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    I will be using the soft bendable copper tubing, so not a traditional HARD line...the tubing I will be using is rated for refrigeration and home a/c units, my research shows it is rated for 300+ psi so I am confident I will not have any issues...as for the engine movement versus body/frame non movement, I will be putting loops in (similar to what you would see on brake lines at the master cylinder) to account for that...there will be a loop before the filter/check valve/manifold setup (under the hood) and a second loop under the Jeep where the smaller tank will be mounted as the line will be mounted to the frame and the tank will be bolted to the tub.
    I would advise against using any type of hard line for connection from the body to the engine. I will assure you that the line will break maybe not right away but as copper flexes it will harden then eventually fail, even the soft stuff.

look into high pressure rubber lines to get you between the two. It may add to your cost but it will prevent a 145PSI leak under the hood.

Remember that brake lines to master cylinder do not see any movement. other than the slight change from the internal pressure.

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 29 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 38 Secs
    ^^ Agreed. A piece of braided steel line 6-12" long would work for years without failure. You could probably grab one from a air compressor supply place. I used the factory line from my Toyota compressor for about 4', then went to 300psi poly. No problems sealing or blowing off, 125psi working pressure.
    ....-Noltz
    '91 Frankenheep Edition. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, 35" KM2's, Titan 12k, ... gone.
    '95 4Runner SR5. Air-Lift bags, OBA & 8K Winch, DD... gone.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Gave the York a good test this weekend...still have it setup with a quick connect at the compressor head, no tank or lines yet...

Blew a bead up in Ardbeg, just the outer...jacked the axle up to get the tire off the ground, hooked up a locking tire chuck, turned the compressor on, pulled the outer bead up over the valve stem and within a minute the tire was back on the rim and at the pressure...

At the end of the weekend, aired back up...took all four tires from 6 - 12 psi (gotta love slow leaks) up to 20 psi in under 3 minutes, including screwing around with walking around the jeep to get to each tire...I will have to make an octopus to do all the tires at the same time and then do a real timed test once the tanks are installed...

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    I'm using 4' of hydraulic line off the Kilby (worth it) fittings on the compressor to a water separator/pressure regulator. I have a 2 gallon tank and can run a 1/2" impact off it with the idol cranked up a bit. Changing 4 tires and 64 lug nuts is a breeze! 10-12 gallon is a waste and space pig and not needed if you can adjust your idol.
    The only thing I ever have to do with my York is top up the oil every once in a while. But mine sees way more severe abuse than yours ever will with 4 airbags and a twitchy thumb on the controller.

Any other compressor is a waste of money.
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 11 Hrs 3 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisbuilt View Post
    I'm using 4' of hydraulic line off the Kilby (worth it) fittings on the compressor to a water separator/pressure regulator. I have a 2 gallon tank and can run a 1/2" impact off it with the idol cranked up a bit. Changing 4 tires and 64 lug nuts is a breeze! 10-12 gallon is a waste and space pig and not needed if you can adjust your idol.
    The only thing I ever have to do with my York is top up the oil every once in a while. But mine sees way more severe abuse than yours ever will with 4 airbags and a twitchy thumb on the controller.

Any other compressor is a waste of money.

what other compressor would someone buy to install as OBA?
    insert something witty here

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    I've wasted money on Chinese dual head compressors, Viair 450, etc.
    The Chinese thing lasted a month with airbags, the Viair was an exspensive and slow waste of money.

York 210 is the best thing you can find.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    I've even seen people attempt to do OBA with the $20 Chinbodian Trash special that takes half an hour to inflate a minivan tire...some people just don't get it...

Chris...I am going to guess the answer will be no, but I have to ask...any issue with the hydraulic lines and air leaks? I had a 'hydraulic expert' tell me that hydraulic hose "breathes" and they would leak air...

I am thinking the Kilby Tube-O to NPT fittings will be in order...it will just make it cleaner...

I did notice (read ---> hear) a leak underhood when the compressor was running, obviously the leak got louder as the pressure got higher, but I have not looked further into where and why as it was a quick setup for the weekend and I do not foresee using it for at least a few more weeks, so I have a bit of time to look into it...hopefully I can have it fully plumbed before the next use...