Thread: Hannibal the Canibal/Animal Build (99 TJ)

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 6 Hrs 7 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 54 Secs

Hannibal the Canibal/Animal Build (99 TJ)

So after a ridiculously long 4 days of blood, sweat and welder's flash, I feel like the TJ is built the way I want (until I start getting into the little things I want to do). The Jeep had typical rust issues on the fenders. And by typical, I mean that I have yet to see one that is as rotted as my driver's side was. The solution? Tube fenders! Now, I pretty much hate tube fenders, but the opportunity was given to make a set and it was easier than finding decent stock ones (trust me when I say my dad was less than thrilled about this project when I showed up with 2 bent tubes and a few pieces of sheet metal). Anyhow... on to the good stuff, like pictures.

2" coil spacers were installed a couple of months ago with the help of JeepGirl73 and True.

After the spacers were installed

Now it was time to start taking apart the old fenders (ps- instructions from the internet for pre-fabbed kits are a good idea as a guideline, but man.... those directions do not apply when you're building from scratch).

Clearly I did not realize the importance of taking off the old flares first. These got in the way more than you'd think. I learned my lesson on the passenger side.

Time for shiny new steel!

All welded on

We decided to reuse the inner bracket from the old fenders for a little extra support on the front (not a huge fan of this, since I would have preferred a more hidden bracket, but I can always change it later)

Next came the lights. Please keep in mind that my dad lives in the country. There are little to no options for auto parts stores without driving 45 minutes to Owen Sound. That being said, there is a Carquest in Wiarton and I had the genius idea to check there for trailer lights. They had one better and offered a 3-wire truck light. Booya! So then it was time to take the hole saw to the grille (and yes, this made me nervous to do). Nervousness was deserved, since the hole saw teeth quit about halfway through. So it was the grinder and sawzall to the rescue!

So 4 days later (including one day off to rest my dad's eyes from his welder's flash--- yeah, I said wear the mask. He says: I was a welder for 30 years and I know what I'm doing...) and this was the finished product- complete with my 33's on soft 8's

I also got a sweet new bumper for the Quadratec tent at the All Breeds Jeep Show in York, PA a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to getting my shackle in. Oh.. and my pretty tire cover. And you can just see the tip of the new tailpipe that I put in along with a new muffler this weekend. That was... annoying.

So that is Hannibal as he sits today. Next on the list is mostly cosmetic stuff... probably going to do some fog lights, but I'm still deciding on which bumper I want on the front. I need to do a little body work on the sides where rust is starting and one day I'll get around to herculining the floors.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 6 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 8 Hrs 30 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 39 Secs
    Very nice, so much better to do the flat fenders if yours were rotting. Why don't you like tube fenders?
    Lookin good, hood latches going back on? lol jk
    Last edited by southpw; 08-02-2011 at 12:18 AM.
    1952 Jeep M38 project

My Mood
    Lurking
    I didn't like the look of tube fenders before. I do now, since I love having the lights in the grille.

As for the hood latches, as soon as I get a pair... Just waiting to hear back from someone

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 19 Hrs 18 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 8 Secs
    Nice work,
    can I borrow your dad? I need some fenders too!!!

My Mood
    Lurking
    Lol I think one of the most heard dadisms this weekend was: "I retired for a reason! I hate welding!". So I'm pretty sure he's not too keen on ever doing this again.

It probably would have been easier if we had a plasma cutter. We went through about 25 cutting disks on the grinder. I'm now a pro with that thing though!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 5 Days 22 Hrs 12 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 57 Secs
    Nice job
    Sold---YJ 6 cyl, 5 Spd, 4' Suspension Lift, SYE, 35" Tires, Lockers. Built, Not Bought.
    OF4WD#5888

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 5 Hrs 11 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 24 Secs
    Looks cool!!!
    My dad and I are toying with the idea of doing that to my yj, could u send me the link to the write u used..
    I have boatsides so some mods will need to be done tho.
    No fingers, no toes, she doesn't own elbows,
    No phalanges no knobby knees to knock.
    She don't need knuckles or hands to go see punk rock bands, She's always in the stands, she's nubs

My Mood
    Lurking
    [/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunham View Post
    Looks cool!!!
    My dad and I are toying with the idea of doing that to my yj, could u send me the link to the write u used..
    I have boatsides so some mods will need to be done tho.
    Well, there wasn't really a write up. I used the poison spyder instructions because they had a printable template to cut the old fender out. Aside from that, it was just a marker, a large piece of cardboard to mock up the new fender, the bent tube and a couple of pieces of sheet metal. A lot of it was eyeballed, if you know what I mean.

The poison spyder ones are bolt on too, so none of the directions really applied since mine are welded right on to the inner fender. I'll pm you their guide though, because that template was a good thing to have.

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 5 Hrs 11 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 24 Secs
    Awesome thanks eh!

My Mood
    Fine
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 14 Hrs 1 Min 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 17 Secs
    Looking good
    6#DAERTER
    01 TJ