Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 hour "chop shop" - '75 CJ5 tear down

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 2 Days 8 Hrs 45 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 24 Secs
    can't think of the guys name with the j-20, but he used to work for howes and reeves in fergus. he lives in elora, hence the license plates.
    if you want to hook up with him again, he is always at the a&w cruise night in guelph on woodlawn road at the cineplex on tuesday nights. he's been there pretty much every tuesday night this whole summer.

nice 5 too, looks like a fun project. i've heard many great stories on the road from guys who used to putt around in the levi editions.
    proud OF4WD member #3875

Time Online: 11 Hrs 54 Mins
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs
    Don't want to hi jack ur thread but I wanted to show the wife a j20 and found the same one

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geepsti...page4/?view=md

Time Online: 3 Wks 19 Hrs 7 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 47 Secs
    Phew , when I first saw this I thought oh,oh, here is a Kennuck ripped me off post lol, I'm glad she is as as I stated and everthing you expected Jeff. Keep the pics coming, always good to see another CJ being brought back to life.
    Don't let fear and common sense get in your way.

1985 CJ7 Aluminum tub, 31's
    1985 CJ7 Fiberglass, lift, 33's, 5.3 Vortec, NV3550
    1985 CJ7 All steel
    Doing my part to keep these old CJs alive

Time Online: 1 Mth 3 Wks 6 Days 15 Hrs 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 45 Secs
    It's always fun tearing down a vehicle. Let me know when you need my help again Jeff and I'll be there.
    OF4WD Member # 5887

Quote Originally Posted by craveneh View Post
    You`d be surprised what your capable of when your balls are not in someones purse
    For Sale:
    Tan Rear Seat - 2004 TJ | Rear Seat Belt Assembly - Complete

Coming Soon:
    American Racing 172s | Jeep TJ Mopar Add-a-trunk | Roller fairlead + cable | TJ Liftgate Spare Tire Mount w/ Centre Stop-Light | Rubi D44 Factory Diff Cover

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 44 Secs
    That's awesome guys! Damn that's a pile of work done in short order. What's final goal Jeff? Resto, build, combo?

And there's just too many motivational poster's i could make out of this. lmao

97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Mins 1 Sec
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    What's final goal Jeff? Resto, build, combo?

Hard to say at this point...at first was thinking a combo mild build and make it look decently period correct for a 70s wheeler...then I thought about how much fun a little CJ5 would be if built for the rocks yet still maintaining some of that 70s wheeler feel...so...my idea...keeping in mind it is the o'lady's Jeep...JUGGY!!!

It will likely get stretched, I mean I tell everybody they should stretch, so why not?!?!? It will be staying leaf spring (for now - mainly because the stock axles will be staying under it), 35s max (for now), keeping the 304/3 Speed/Dana 20 combo..going to swap the drum brakes out, the front FOR SURE, thinking about the rear as well...it will get a full cage...

When it comes to the body, the one we have is in really rough shape, almost too rough to consider restoring...so, I am tossing around the idea of chopping it up a bit and giving it some tack welds to hold some shape while I play around...thinking boatsides and dovetailed...I figure the body is bad enough that if Sarah doesn't like it all chopped up like that, then we have to replace it at some point anyway...

Aside from that, nothing is set in stone and it will all get worked out as it comes together...Sarah spoke to the insurance broker today in regards to some other matters, and just for shits and giggles she asked how much it would be to insure it, they are going to look into how much through our regular company, but they deal with some antique/classic insurance companies and we were told it would be around $400 - $500 for the year. She asked about any limitations on use (eg. must be going to a show or for repairs, etc.) and she was told there would be no limitations like that...only time will tell...

Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    And there's just too many motivational poster's i could make out of this. lmao
    I vote go for it...mainly because I am not in the picture...LMAO...
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 1 Sec
    Most Classic car insurance companies will not insure modified Jeeps( at least the ones I have researched). It has to be stock resto and even then its dependant on the ins. company. And Classic car insurance does have limitations on KM's( usually less than 5000 per year) and leaving it alone(ie no grocery getter, no work, secure storage/ garage kept).

if you find one that 1) will cover modded Jeeps and 2) does not have usage limitations(mainly secure storage)... let me know. I am trying to get my Vette cleaned up so I can get it appraised and then its going on Classic insurance by the end of the summer. The Vette will save me over $400 per year and if I can save some on the Jeep insurance too that would be awesome.

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 23 Hrs 16 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 35 Secs
    I had to sign a waiver that mine would not be off-roaded for classic car insurance...the classic car insurance is only for pleasure rides on the street, no work, errands, shopping as stated above^^.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

I think this covers modified vehicles http://www.lant-ins.ca/custom_wheel_...0cce9984b719f3

but again, I don't think they'll cover off-roading and it must be in secure storage.

Time Online: 1 Yr 3 Mths 2 Wks 4 Days 9 Hrs 54 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 39 Mins 2 Secs
    tony lant won't cover off road vehicles, i already talked to him about it when i bought my cj
    WHAT WOULD MACGYVER DO?

2004 rubicon: 12,000 lb titan winch, 35" goodyear wranglers, staang's belly-up skid, cobra 29 cb, highline fenders, trailhead bumpers

http://www.youtube.com/user/onehosereh#p/u

VA3 HWG, OF4WD #5571, RETREAD #1

My Mood
    Aggressive
    WOOHOO!!!

Major step forward happened today...we now have an ownership for this thing...so, it is legally back in the system (MTO had ZERO records of it) and the wife is the legal owner of record with an ownership with her name on it...AND ANOTHER CLASSIC CJ WILL ONE DAY BE BACK ON THE ROAD!!!

It took us a while, mostly because we were not in a rush to really take care of it and we just sat on our ass over it...anyway...was a pretty simple process once we found the right person at the right office to handle the paperwork...

- Was told by one office that we needed a UVIP - made no sense because it couldn't be found in the system, but they wanted to charge me for it somehow...
    - another office wanted to do all the registration in my name (because my name was on the bill of sale), then transfer it to my wife - would have doubled fees, but not taxes - made no sense to me...
    - yet another office told me if it was registered as UNFIT (meaning no safety) that we would need a full structural inspection done to get it plated - they are retarded...

So, we found the right office and they knew what they were doing and all is good...

What we ended up needing:

- Signed bill of sale with both seller and buyers info (seeing as I had purchased it and was giving it to my wife, I rewrote the bill of sale as if I had sold it her - essentially I was)
    - Appraisal to show value - MTO does this for ANY vehicle 20 years and older (so even you kids with 1992 and older vehicles will need this) - cost to us $30 to garage/dealer that performed the appraisal, where you get it done may charge a different price and they should have the form, if not get the form from an MTO office
    - Affidavit of Ownership including all information about vehicle endorsed by a notary or commissioner of oaths , we had a commissioner in our town office do this for $10 (could probably get your city hall clerk to do this for a lot cheaper than a notary public or lawyer)

Other costs

$10 fee for transfer plus taxes on purchase price of the Jeep, would be another $20 if we wanted plates, but we didn't need them yet as the Jeep needs a full resto-mod done to it

What was needed in the affidavit (which is essentially a letter your type or write up - don't sign until in front of commissioner of oaths, as they need to witness your signature)

- Owner's name and address, as well as driver's licence number
    - A statement that your are the legal and rightful owner
    - Jurisdiction the vehicle was last registered (if know) - what province/state/etc. it was registered in
    - Explanation of how you obtained it, including any information about previous owners and how they came to own it
    - Explanation why supporting documents can't be provided (eg. previous owner did not have them and why)
    - Full description of vehicle (year/make/model/VIN/color/# of doors/engine size (# of cylinders)/weight (if you know it, we didn't and it wasn't an issue)/mileage/class (passenger/truck/etc.)

What the Commissioner of Oaths needs to include on the affidavit:
    - Judicial district or province
    - full legal name
    - professional designation
    - expiry date of appointment for appointed persons
    - signature and stamp of the commissioner or appointed person
    - date affidavit was taken

Most of that info will be included on a stamp they will put on your letter, they will write something like "witnessed by me on (date)" and sign it...

Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 23 Hrs 54 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 19 Secs
    weird they never asked for appraisal for me.. i only drive weird old car lol

are you gonna do some kind of tcase gears? or run the stock drivetrain for now???

i switched my front to drums on my suzuki and it made a big difference.. That is def a worthwhile mod
    1991 TOW RIG/DD toyota hilux surf ssr-x turbo diesel JDM SPEC

1982 suzuki sj410 . stock ... no options rides like a slow bag of dicks

My Mood
    Aggressive
    still a toss up what will be done and how far it will go...the wife has given me 5 years to make this thing roll for her...first thoughts were keep it leafed and run the stock axles (30/44) but swap to disc front and rear, or go with waggy width 44s...now I am starting to think just go links and tons from the start...the V8 is staying (likely will get injected, no plans to change anything in terms of trans or tcase...by the time I get that far, who knows maybe do a 3.15 gear set in the D20 tcase...

First thing to tackle will be the frame and planning for late winter/early spring to get into that...clean it all up, one small area really needs attention at the rear driver side...from there, will likely box the whole frame...then who knows...obviously suspension and axles will be the next step, but not even thinking of that until the frame is done...

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 9 Hrs 24 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 16 Mins 1 Sec
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    still a toss up what will be done and how far it will go...the wife has given me 5 years to make this thing roll for her...first thoughts were keep it leafed and run the stock axles (30/44) but swap to disc front and rear, or go with waggy width 44s...now I am starting to think just go links and tons from the start...the V8 is staying (likely will get injected, no plans to change anything in terms of trans or tcase...by the time I get that far, who knows maybe do a 3.15 gear set in the D20 tcase...

First thing to tackle will be the frame and planning for late winter/early spring to get into that...clean it all up, one small area really needs attention at the rear driver side...from there, will likely box the whole frame...then who knows...obviously suspension and axles will be the next step, but not even thinking of that until the frame is done...
    Kuss rolls first

Time Online: 1 Yr 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 16 Hrs 51 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Mins 32 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverage View Post
    Kuss rolls first

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverage View Post
    Kuss rolls first
    Yep...his 3 year head start has him right about here...

oh, but I can't forget the first bender project he made 2 years ago...

If it wasn't for roofies I could never understand how such an ugly bastard ended up with her?

Time Online: 1 Mth 14 Hrs 25 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 31 Secs

CJ5 Tear Down

Hey Jeff, I am tearing down my CJ5 this winter. You might want some of my stuff. You saw the jeep in the driveway when you were at my place. I am probably only keeping the body. Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001S.JPG  
    07 Commander 5.7L Hemi

Time Online: 3 Days 21 Hrs 13 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 19 Secs
    heh i think 13 jeeps has a fiberglass tub in good shape too!! also if you have any ownership isues grimbsy is the best licenceing office.
    Bryn; 86 chev k5 blazer

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn rennie View Post
    heh i think 13 jeeps has a fiberglass tub in good shape too!! also if you have any ownership isues grimbsy is the best licenceing office.
    Well...the wife wheels like I do...by feel...so there will be no 'glass tub for us...

Steve, I will get a hold of you early in the new year, see what is available and if anything can be used...thanks...
    Last edited by igotafrigginjeep; 12-15-2011 at 05:27 PM.