Thread: Have you ever wondered about importing a buggy from the U.S.?

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 21 Hrs 3 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 55 Secs

Have you ever wondered about importing a buggy from the U.S.?

Well I wondered, and after a lot of research, I finally was able to get one. I figured some people would be interested in the process, and who to contact. So here it is:

1) Find the buggy you like:

There are an endless number of buggies for sale on the internet. Most of them, I found on Pirate 4x4. They vary widely in price, depending on the build. There is a range currently of around $78,000 all the way down to around $6,000. I was totally uneducated when it came to knowing what to look for exactly. There are some really good builders out there, and there is also some real cheese being built by guys in their back yard. Fortunately, I had some assistance from a good friend who was quite knowledgeable in this area.

Due to the long distances that can be involved, make sure the seller is somewhat reputable. How long has the person been on the forum (using Pirate as an example)? Is there a build thread to look at? In my case, I was fortunate to find one I wanted, that had a build thread, as well as being sold by a reputable buggy shop.

Make sure the rig you're looking at is actually a buggy, and not a "truggy". As I discovered, a "truggy" or anything that USED to be something else, falls under a different category. To be allowed to import it, it must not have been a regular vehicle in a former life. If it was "titled" and then modified, you cannot import it into Canada.

2) Contact the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles).

This is a first step to confirm that the rig you are wanting to import, is not of a prescribed class that is regulated. The contact for them is: support@support.riv.ca

I sent them pictures of the buggy I was interested in, and they wrote back to confirm it did not fall under their type of vehicles that are regulated.

3) Contact Transport Canada

This is a further confirmation that they don't regulate this type of vehicle. They will also require pictures to make this determination. Give them a thorough description of the rig. Make sure you highlight the fact that it was built from scratch, and that it didn't "USED" to be anything else. the contact for this is: roadsafety@tc.gc.ca

After a while, they will write back and if all is in order, they will advise you that it does not need to go through the RIV program, and it is not regulated. This email will be VERY IMPORTANT to have when you plan on physically bringing the buggy accross the border.

4) Paying for the buggy

There are of course many ways to get this done. Instead of using PayPal or something similar, I decided to go with the electronic wire transfer. There is a record of it both from your bank, as well as the payee bank. This should alleviate any worry about there not being some sort of paper trail.

This is a huge leap of faith no matter how you slice it. Generally you will be buying sight unseen if it is any distance into the U.S. If you use some of the hints I suggested above, you will probably make out alright!

5) Transportation

I researched a number of different ways to accomplish this:

Driving down to the location where the buggy was and putting it on my trailer to bring it back. Well the buggy shop where it was located, was in southern Colorado. It was going to be 6000 km round trip to do it this way. The cost would have been astronomical with the price of fuel.

Having a transportation company pick it up and deliver it to your home. This was another option, and there were many companies that offer this service. The price was almost as much as it was going to be to drive down there myself. The factors I hadn't considered, was that by doing it this way, you must pay a customs broker to do the paperwork for you, as well as a fee.

I figured I could do all the paperwork myself, as I probably knew more about it than any customs broker after all the research. The way I went about doing this, was to contact a transportation broker. These companies are set up to receive numerous quotes from many different transport companies based on your request and it is determined by your starting point and ending point. I chose to pick the buggy up in Buffalo. Many of the trucking firms have "yards" in border crossing areas for these types of purchases (mostly cars). You go to the border city with your tow rig and trailer, and pick it up from the driver. (Note: in most cases you will be paying the driver direct - they like cash). The transportation broker takes his small fee when you place your order (this one you can pay by credit card).

Total cost to deliver the buggy 3000 km = $1000 USD. Broker fee = $175. I think it was a bargain!

6) The border crossing

With your proper paperwork in hand (bill of sale from the vendor/letter from Transport Canada) advise the agent at the booth that you have purchased the buggy and have a letter from Transport Canada. They will send you over to the parking area where you will park and go into the office. I would STRONGLY advise you not to fudge the price that you paid. They will ask a number of questions, and even go online to find the purchase. Its just not worth it at this point, unless you want to lose the buggy then and there. Once they have read your letter and bill of sale, you will have to pay only the FEDERAL sales tax at this point (5% of your purchase price). There is no duty on top of that. Away you go, you have now brought it home!

7) Licencing

If it really is a buggy that you have purchased, and you have made a declaration to Transport Canada of this, you will not be able to licence it for use on the roads. This is where you will licence it as an Off Road Vehicle (ORV). This is required if you plan on using it on any trails, Crown land etc. Basically anywhere but on your own property. It also gets a little expensive at this point, because it hasn't been previously registered in Canada, (yes even as an ORV), you will now have to pay the PROVINCIAL sales tax at 8%. They will issue you a green plate at this time, as well as an ownership. If there is no VIN of any type (there probably won't be), the MTO will generate one for the vehicle.

You're almost ready to wheel your new beast......

8) Insurance

I was shocked (not sure why, based on our insurance system in Ontario) to find out that the insurance broker I had been with for 15 years, said that they wouldn't insure the buggy. The best they could do, was to go with a "facility" policy at $2800 per year. I advised them that the buggy wasn't going to be used on the road, strictly trails. They said it didn't matter. I was now on the hunt for another insurance broker.

After getting the same result from a couple of other companies, I began to get really worried and frankly, a little ticked off! I finally gave one of the brokers who wrote back, a piece of my mind. I had written an email, describing the buggy, as well as its intended use. I advised it was "custom built". When they wrote back, they said "we cannot insure anything that has been customized". I replied with the fact that it wasn't "customized", it never used to be anything else except a rack full of tubing. I repeated that it was "custom built". I never expected to hear back from them.

A short while later, to my surprise, they wrote back saying they were going to go ahead and insure it for me (I added the incentive that I would now be insuring my home as well as 2 vehicles and a trailer with them). In the end, the broker advised that it fit into the "dune buggy" category, and it was going to cost me $320 per year (no collision - why would you need it on a buggy), but its covered for liability, fire and theft.

I hope this has been helpful to any of you who may be contemplating buying a buggy from the U.S. Its not a perfect system, but it really isn't as hard as it might seem. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I have posted a few pictures in an album on my profile here. The ones below are from the original for sale thread on Pirate. Just to give you an idea, that it may be the only thing you have to go on in addition to a description!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5733235b.jpg   231008ea.jpg  
    No current rig!

Member of:
    OF4WD #3737
    Jeep Company
    New Frontier

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 4 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 12 Hrs 8 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 5 Secs
    Awesome write up WB, excellent information!!
    Needs to be a sticky in the General Jeep forum
    I don't have an attitude problem, you're just an asshole!!

2004 Grand Cherokee Columbia edition
    1980 CJ Juggy
    OF4WD#6687 & 4928

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 4 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 52 Secs
    Great info , i have always wanted to bring a vehicle back from US but never did it fear of huge hidden expenses

My Mood
    Devilish
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 10 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 17 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep79 View Post
    Great info , i have always wanted to bring a vehicle back from US but never did it fear of huge hidden expenses
    Excellent write up WaterBoy.
    Jeep79, i have bought two vehicles from the USA and there are NO hidden expenses. It is easier than bringing a buggy back. i have one older than 15 years (very easy as Mods are allowed) and one newer than 15 years (only tires and rim mods allowed, not suspension, performance stuff, etc).
    As far as taxes go, i paid GST only for Alberta. The 15+ vehicle was RIV exempt as well (no dtr lights needed, no baby tether thingy)
    i too, took the leap of faith (with due dillegence) and wire transferred the money to both sellers.

i have a write up for both 15+ and 15 newer vehicles

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinalguy View Post
    Excellent write up WaterBoy.
    Jeep79, i have bought two vehicles from the USA and there are NO hidden expenses. It is easier than bringing a buggy back. i have one older than 15 years (very easy as Mods are allowed) and one newer than 15 years (only tires and rim mods allowed, not suspension, performance stuff, etc).
    As far as taxes go, i paid GST only for Alberta. The 15+ vehicle was RIV exempt as well (no dtr lights needed, no baby tether thingy)
    i too, took the leap of faith (with due dillegence) and wire transferred the money to both sellers.

15 year old, is the magic number for importing om. shit http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx
    Last edited by stach1; 08-18-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Stickybongsmoking is offline Yes, this is gawd damn muthafockling CTD NUT.
    Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 10 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 37 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Mins 53 Secs
    Those are great step by step instructions and concise in detail - complete with the pertinent contacts. "it never used to be anything else except a rack full of tubing" - I lawled.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Thanks guys! I'm sure there are others on here with some good info on importing a "vehicle", but as was mentioned above, it is a slightly different process from this.

Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    "it never used to be anything else except a rack full of tubing" - I lawled.
    Ha ha yeah there was a little bit of frustration in that email to the insurance company!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 2 Mths 14 Hrs 47 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    We have hauled lifted pickup trucks, and when we got to Canada customs been refused entry because of the lift. Do your homework, or you'll end up owning a vehicle in a towing compound that you have to either restore to stock, or fire sale.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 44 Secs
    great write up ..like you guy say don't screw with canada custom ...they always get thier money
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 18 Hrs 20 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 22 Secs
    Great read buddy. Good info , well done
    91 Suburban on 38 Swampers, 5.7 (350) V1500 4x4. Big ...red...and ugly.

"The camel toe is the smile of the body, if the body were a face"

LugNutz is offline President of Post Whore Guild
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 9 Hrs 16 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 9 Secs
    Thank you for that well written and very informative post WB. One part I am curious about, your mention of paying the federal and provincial taxes separately, was this before the combined H.S.T or do they tax vehicles differently?
    You never truly know your limits until you exceed them....

My Mood
    Fine
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 2 Days 16 Hrs 55 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 16 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by LugNutz View Post
    Thank you for that well written and very informative post WB. One part I am curious about, your mention of paying the federal and provincial taxes separately, was this before the combined H.S.T or do they tax vehicles differently?
    At the border you're simply importing it into Canada - dealing with the Federal taxes. IF you register it, it can be in any province, and you'll be responsible for whatever provincial taxes apply in that province.

I had to deal with the RIV route importing a trailer for rowing shells.
    Coley - 2010 JKU - Deep Water Blue
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ColeyLikesBacon

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by LugNutz View Post
    It was a pleasure writing it from my experiences. I figured if it could help anyone else out who might be interested in doing something like this, I would take the time and do it. There was limited info available when I was doing my research. A friend found a link for me from another wheeling website that helped, but I still had to do some digging.

This was only in July of this year. The border is only responsible for collecting the federal end of the taxes (5%). The rest comes when you go to MTO to register it, and it is ONLY the Provincial tax (8%) that they collect.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Mins 1 Sec
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinalguy View Post
    Links? Or bump the theads and we can sticky them too.
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Links? Or bump the theads and we can sticky them too.
    its on my work computer, so i will post it in the next few days and if Mods want to sticky it...

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 4 Hrs 8 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 34 Secs
    So... What's needed then if it's over 15 yrs old? I imported a 2000 about 3 years ago from MASS.... Wasn't that bad but i did have to go through RIV and the whol 72hrs title at border,etc...... What is applicable when it is over 15 years then?

Great write up BTW!!
    RIP OD, YOU'LL BE MISSED.... BUT that's OK 'cuz you've been REPLACED !!!

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    So... What's needed then if it's over 15 yrs old? I imported a 2000 about 3 years ago from MASS.... Wasn't that bad but i did have to go through RIV and the whol 72hrs title at border,etc...... What is applicable when it is over 15 years then?

Great write up BTW!!
    Thanks! I believe Spinalguy is going to give links to some threads he wrote, about importing regular vehicles to Igottafrigginjeep and then have them posted as stickies. Keep an eye out for them.....

My Mood
    Devilish
    sorry for the delay. i searched my work and personal computers for the document i put together. It must be on my OLD personal computer. i will find it and get it together. Again, sorry for the delay.

Time Online: 2 Wks 6 Days 5 Hrs 56 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 40 Secs
    Having just finally finished getting my buggy licensed, I thought I'd add a couple points.

My buggy didn't have a VIN when I bought it since it was never registered (Some states exempt off-road vehicles from registration. It was custom built by Tanner 4x4 in 2007, but they didn't assign a VIN at the time since it wasn't required.)
    I checked with Transport Canada about bringing it across and they didn't have any problems with it not having a VIN, they just gave me a Form 10(I think) instead of a Form 1 because it wasn't considered a vehicle.

When it came time to get a ministry assigned VIN, they couldn't do anything without a stamped Form 1. After many discussions with the people at the MTO and WaterBoy (thanks for all the help), I was able to get Transport Canada to re-issue the Form 1 indicating it as an off-road vehicle but no VIN. Once I had that and a sworn affidavit indicating how I came into possession of a vehicle with no VIN, I was given a Ministry generated VIN and green plates.

The good thing about doing it this way is the VIN does not indicate it as a home-made vehicle, so insurance wasn't too difficult. The ownership indicates the make as Tanner, the year as 2007, and the model as 4x4. Everything is perfectly legit.

As for insurance, my insurance company (Chubb) was fine with insuring it as a dune buggy for off-road use only. They had 3 engine sizes listed: 0-400cc, 401-800cc, and over 800cc. Since the buggy has a 502 big block (about 8100cc) it falls into the "over" category. I made sure they were aware of what it was and even sent specs and pictures. They told me it didn't matter how big the engine was, just that it was over 800cc.

So, almost 5 months later I have it all licensed, insured, and ready to head to Roadkill this weekend.
    A couple posing shots from the winter....

Last edited by canucklehead; 06-04-2012 at 05:22 PM.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 44 Secs
    so now that you have it all done would you do it again?