Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: D-Limit 1987 YJ/Chevy Evolution

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs

D-Limit 1987 YJ/Chevy Evolution

Hi there.

Today I have finally bought a Jeep Wrangler, a 1987 YJ. Its been my favourite offroader since a young age and now I finally own one

Lets hope I dont regret this project. Basically its a YJ with chevy Blazer axles, 305 V8 and 4 speed manual trans. 35" tires and SOA. Some of the mods are very badly made so the idea is to improve everything.

List of things I need to improve:
    - Clean carb and get the engine to run better, although its very smokey :-s (I noticed the oil level is over the max, could this be causing the smoke?)
    - Later down the road I will put in a new motor as the 305 is smokey, Ive been informed the 350 is a bolt on, no mods required so I might go down that route. Any other engines bolt on?
    - Lowering the ride height (Too high for my liking, probably will remove the body lift)
    - Improve steering, currently it is soft but it does not self center and it makes the handling bad. It also doesnt seem to be very direct....
    - Hi-Steer system as this must have bad bump steer.
    - Highering the transfer case as it is ridiculously low and I would redo the support frame for it, this bodge looks really bad.... I would also instal an SYE with double UJs.
    - Anti-axle wrap bar for the back axle
    - Will tweak suspension to get more travel out of it.

Pics to show what I have bought:

Transfer box :-s

Is this the stock carb?

Jeeps frame and body are pretty rust free for the ages, just some rust on fenders. Thats what sold me the Jeep, I can fix the rest but Im not good at bodywork...

Any tips on how to proceed with my mods are welcome

Any chevy useful links are welcome.

This project will be a constant evolution so I will be posting my doubts on here, see if you guys can help out.
    Obsessed about offroading and moved from Spain to Vaughan.

Owner of a never ending YJ project: BUILD THREAD
    Winter beater 1998 Toyota 4Runner
    Owner of a Suzuki Sammy back in Spain
    www.d-limit.com

Time Online: 3 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 13 Hrs 43 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 8 Mins 17 Secs
    thats a regular chevy rockester carburetor. if your jeep does need an engine, it'll be a easy swap, just buy a chevy car, or truck from before 1987 and swap the motors.
    i definately would do something about that steering setup though.
    looks clean, and like a good starting point
    i just noticed the square tube body lift. thats gotta go..
    currently building a toyota. i'm sorry.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 6 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 7 Hrs 41 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 41 Secs
    Congrats Herve. Smoke could be a blown head gasket.
    Definitely drain some of that oil to proper level and watch to see if you lose any, maybe it's overfilled for a reason.
    Looks like a nice Jeep. Like buckinbullock said, body lift has got to go
    1952 Jeep M38 project

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 2 Days 4 Hrs 45 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 48 Secs
    What colour is the smoke? Blue, Black, White?
    Looks like you will have some work ahead of you. Definitely lose the body lift and replace it with poly or rubber bushings. Do you need a body lift to clear the transmission/transfercase?

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    Maybe its my old eyes but are the front shocks fully compressed? It looks like zero up travel from here.

La elevación del cuerpo es una mierda. Buena suerte mi amigo!

My Mood
    Amazed
    Thanks guys

Yes as I mentioned body will be out or replaced, as mentioned above I will have to check to see if it can go down due to the transmission, I could always cut the floor and make a new transmission tunnel inside.... but I will try to get body off and move transmission up... Or transmission up and new body mounts.

craveneh, didnt really check that but I will probably replace shocks and relocate them, add bump stops and a lot of things..... Suspension is not that great. I SOAed my samurai and improved it over the years, it now works great, and this Jeep needs a lot of work to work well offroad. Now its a show Jeep, but I will make it offroad capable slowly but steadily ;-)

Regarding the carb shall I just throw an Edelbrock in there? It has an Edelbrock intake already.... The only thing is that a 600cfm will probably be too much for a 305 no? But as I want to upgrade to a 350 I would like a carb that will work for both engine, any ideas?

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgets View Post
    What colour is the smoke? Blue, Black, White?
    Looks like you will have some work ahead of you. Definitely lose the body lift and replace it with poly or rubber bushings. Do you need a body lift to clear the transmission/transfercase?

Smoke is at idle and when you accelerate even more. Its white and when you accelerate bluish but very little. No black smoke, the guy said it was smoking due to running too rich, but then it would smoke black.... so Im pretty sure this engine is not very healthy. The owner did not build it and didnt know much about mechanics.

Radiator fluid was clean with engine coolant and I didnt seem to see any bubbles while engine was running, but I think the thermostat hadn't opened. Oil was a decent , if it had the gasket gone the engine oil would be white due to the mix of water no?

Ive been looking and running 350 engines are everywhere on kijiji so I think this will be the route to take some time soon. But I would like to drive it home, so will try to reduce the oil level and clean the carb see if it smokes less....

the carburetor on it is awesome when set up right for off-road. i wouldn't swap on a edelbrock. check the compression on your motor, and go from there. check the modulator valve vaccum line going to the carb. sometimes the modulator valve goes bad and you suck up trans fluid into your motor. that'll create white smoke.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    "Radiator fluid was clean with engine coolant and I didnt seem to see any bubbles while engine was running, but I think the thermostat hadn't opened. Oil was a decent , if it had the gasket gone the engine oil would be white due to the mix of water no?"

You could have a leaky gasket somewhere on the intake plenum where a small amount of coolant is being sucked up vs. mixing in the oil etc.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by buckinbullock View Post
    the carburetor on it is awesome when set up right for off-road. i wouldn't swap on a edelbrock. check the compression on your motor, and go from there. check the modulator valve vaccum line going to the carb. sometimes the modulator valve goes bad and you suck up trans fluid into your motor. that'll create white smoke.
    Ok good to know the rochester carb is good for offroading, hate carbs that fail offroading. I used to have a Webber carb on my suzuki and I ended up putting injection on it to solve this. Will probably give it a good clean and see what happens.

Its manual trans so will it still have this modulator valve vaccum line? Ive notices they drilled the carb for some reason...

sorry, sorry. i am wrong. i assumed it had an auto. no modulator valve. sorry, sorry.

My Mood
    Amazed
    No worries

I also wanted to say that this Jeep is the one I was asking about in the General forum but I paid much lower than the OBO price.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Can someone recognise the gear box and transfer case? Ive been reading up on drive trains and Im wondering if its an NV4500 with overdrive... Very new to all this. I have a lot of reading to do from Pirate4x4 and Jeepforum.com

The transfercase/gearbox bracket is ridiculous, cant believe someone would do this :-s

it looks like a np205 t-case. gear driven, really strong. is it a 4 speed, or 5 speed. at least your driveshaft angle looks good.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Its a 4 speed, so a SM465 with a NP205.... starting to get there. Lots of reading and more to come :-)

I just need to add a new mod to this build, twin stick for the NP205. Being able to disconnect the back or the front axle must rule in some places....I think Im never going to be done with this thing

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 4 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 12 Hrs 8 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 4 Secs
    Nope Herve...yer never done when it comes to a Jeep ;-)

Congrats....Nice lookin' Jeep!!
    I don't have an attitude problem, you're just an asshole!!

2004 Grand Cherokee Columbia edition
    1980 CJ Juggy
    OF4WD#6687 & 4928

My Mood
    Amazed
    Bit of an update. I still dont have the Jeep at work so I havent started doing things to it but I have been shopping

Welder, 220v, now I need to install a 220v socket at work to use it....

And this is the engine I have picked to replace the smokey Chevy 305

1998 GMC Sierra 5.7 Vortec V8

Putting the F150 to use ;-)

So now I need to look into wiring, I am not too good at wiring but once I put myself into it I should figure it out. I need to figure out what fuel pump to go with and so on. I must say wiring wise it doesnt seem to be too bad as everything is under the hood, computer, fuse box and so on so all I need to do is power it up...

Slowly but steadily I am getting things together for this poroject

My Mood
    Amazed
    Any recommendations on what to change now that the engine is out??? What seal tend to fail?? It doesnt have much oil stains so it ok but if I can prevent I would like to do that.

Thanks

if you have the engine out, i'd throw in a new rear main seal. its a real pain in the ass after the engine is back in!!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 19 Hrs 18 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 10 Secs
    Hey Herve, I think that Gunther has that motor in his CJ. You should look at how it's set up.

My Mood
    Amazed
    buckinbullock thanks for that, I thought about that and for what it is worth I will change it. Also seems to leak a bit around the distributor so I will take it apart and have a look...

Rob thanks for that, you will have to present me to Gunther next time so that I can have a chat with him

Thanks