Thread: 2003 tj gear change questions

My Mood
    Asleep
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 15 Hrs 53 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 2 Secs

2003 tj gear change questions

I have a 03 TJ , I have 31's on now and 5th gear is practically useless. I am really looking to change from the stock 3.23 gear set (30 front-35 rear) to maybe a 4.11 gear set. I may put some 33's in few years also.
    I have never touched the diff's besides changing oil on my Jeeps so I am not comfortable making any informed decision with the info I have read online. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice to decide on a gear set choice. I have the Dana 3o frnt and Dana 35 rear differentials. All stock. Canadian Rocky Montain edition..no 44 or 3.73 option.
    I think I have seen both regular and high pinion Dana 30's, what do I need?
    What should I expect to pay for labour for the install.....just trying to get rough idea of $ this will run me.

Appreciate any help you can provide!

-Blake
    2003 tj RME 3.5 RE lift.
    Frnt & rear custom bumpers. Rock sliders.
    6spd tranny and d30/d35 4.10s.
    Custom machined rims coming soon.....

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Days 13 Hrs 54 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 17 Secs
    First off your gears will be 3:07's not 3:23's or 3:73's if you have a 6Cyl but I would suggest that you call the dealer and ask them to tell you by the VIN what ratio you currently have...

The best thing for you to do is plunk in your specs to this gear calcualtor and figure out where you should be based on your choice of RPM's
    Gear Calculator

There is no Perfect number regardless of what others might say because everyone is different but what is perfect is that your RPM's at 100KPH should be close to your stock Numbers if not better...

When I say better that depends on you and your preference, do you want more Power or better fuel economy? if you want more power then the RPM's will be a little higher at 100KPH if you want more fuel economy then you keep the RPM a little lower then stock at 100KPH...

Now having said all that it you should expect to pay around $1000.00 per axle for parts and labour unless your thinking of adding lockers of any kind...
    Most people just try to find used axles with the gears they want already installed then all you do is swap out the axles which just about anyone can do themselves...

I hope this helps you
    Last edited by Jeepman; 09-11-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    1989 Jeep MJ: 4.7L Stroker, 4WD Swap, 97+Conversion, RC Long Arm Upgrade Kit, 35x12.5x18 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, WJ D30, WK SRT8 Rear D44 w/approx. 8" Lift
    1983 Jeep CJ7: SOLD

Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 12 Hrs 57 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 55 Secs
    It may be cheaper (easier) for you to find a set of axles out of a 4cyl TJ that already have 4.11s
    I measure in feet and inches because I have two of each.

I was born naked, wet and hungry. Then things got worse!
    ------MY HEEPS------
    2003 WJ -- 4" attitude adjustment that's been there & broke that
    2000 TJ -- "Plan B"

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 11 Hrs 2 Mins 58 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    I just did this regear in June, I should say Just Jeeps did the regear for me. I have a 2002 TJ which had stock 3.07 gears and 33's and yes 5th was useless. I regeared to 4.56 gears and it's night and day, so glad I did it. I can actually accelerate and pass other vehicles in 5th now. About a 8-10% improvement in gas mileage. Don't forget to change the speedo gear as well otherwise your speedo and tach will be off. They were off when I had 3.07's and 33's but it was only off by about 10kms so I lived with it but it's off by even more with 4.56 gears. I would highly recommend regearing if you don't like how your Jeep feels now. 4.56 gears was the right gearing for me but like Jeepman says it's all about what you want. Good luck with it!
    '02 TJ, 2" body lift, 2" coil spacers, 33"x12.5" Goodyear Duratracs, 15x8 Pro Comp matte black aluminum rims, D30/D35 regeared with 4.56 gears, Bushwacker Flat Fender Flares, Warn Rock Crawler Front Bumper, Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers, hprtech custom rear bumper with swing out tire carrier, 48" Hi-Lift, Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari, Wrap Around Windjammer, Tonneau and trail cover.

"I'm not retarded I just own a Jeep that's all".

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 6 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 8 Hrs 37 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 37 Secs
    I found regearing my axles was to far out of my budget and found(like mentioned above) a set of 4cyl axles with 4.11 gears in them and did a full swap. Saw a pair in a TJ partout last week for $400. Take a look through the parts for sale section.
    All in all, the axle swap went smoothly, but it wasn't long ago that most of the bolts were already removed when my lift went in.
    1952 Jeep M38 project

My Mood
    Asleep
    Time Online: 1 Wk 5 Days 15 Hrs 53 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 2 Secs
    Wow, thanks guys!
    1G each axle is a little over my price range.....I will take a look at the gear calculator Jeepman put up and decide what I will go with. I really think I may go with axles out of a 4cyl TJ like ToyJ recomended.