Thread: Cobalt SS key stuck in ignition in run position will not move to off.

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 23 Hrs 25 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs

Cobalt SS key stuck in ignition in run position will not move to off.

Anyone heard of this or know a remedy aside from lock cylinder assembly replacement? On star sent a tow driver but I had already pulled the fuel pump fuse and disconnected the battery. He says it's common but had no idea how to fix the issue. He only stops the engine same way as I did and tows to the dealer.

Feels totally mechanical like the pins on the cylinder have jammed. But it still will rotate forward to start but not back to ignition cut /off.

GM is back from bankruptcy and making vehicles that will compete for quality with the best in the world. So far in 18 mos. The AC compressor caught fire (true story ) and now this.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 6 Days 4 Hrs 27 Mins 52 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 14 Secs
    Is it auto? It could be a shift lock solenoid.

My Mood
    Dead
    Time Online: 2 Wks 12 Hrs 45 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 11 Secs
    who cares? its a Cobalt! leave the key in it. someone will steal it. (if you're lucky... it is a Cobalt after all.)
    Wounds heal... Chicks dig scars...

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler (Rust Free California Edition)
    2005 TJ Unlimited
    1946 Willys CJ-2a "Pa2niA" Featured in JPFreek (click me)

Time Online: 2 Mths 18 Hrs 57 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    gm calls it dealer love

Time Online: 1 Wk 4 Days 11 Hrs 41 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 56 Secs
    I second the shifter sol. seen lots messed up like that and the dealer has covered everyone i have seen

It's a manual. GM cylinder locks are junk. It is a recall on some models and years but not on others that have the same part #. Doesn't make sense to me. We now have the upgraded part.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 17 Hrs 45 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs
    the cobalt has 2 problems, shifter and ignition cylinder. i just replaced an ignition cylinder yesterday on a cobalt for the same problem. the new cylinder is a gm updated cylinder and should be warranty. push the brake pedal and listen for a clicking noise in the shifter. if the clicking is heard. its probably not the shifter

Apparently the lock cylinder has a plastic cover over the pins/ springs. Once that pops off it jams the key in and will rotate on but not to off. The new cylinders are old school and sit in a white metal sleeve. No parts to jam.

My first question to the dealer was if this is fixed under warrantee and it happens again with the same crap part then when warrantee runs out then who pays if it craps again? Basically unless there is a recall it is my dime. My wife's car should have had the updated part from factory but it didn't so it failed and hers isn't listed on any recall list. Good thing it failed NOW instead of a year from now.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Time Online: 3 Days 18 Hrs 3 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Secs
    look under the colomn..should be a loony sized square axcess hole..pop the cover off and if the manual ignition is the same crap as the auto (cant see why it wouldnt be) there will be a tiny little up in there press it and turn the key back. can't remember if this "key lock cylinder" is pos or ground fed but they are a VERY CRAPPY design.
    hundsrds= accronym for who needs roads..91 yj coils and links all around riding on tonnes and 41" iroc radials, 5.38 gears locked all around everything thats not jeep is all me..and a great friends design..ucking fugly but completley functional