Thread: Fellow addicts

Time Online: 5 Days 9 Hrs 33 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Secs

Fellow addicts

Posting this here because most of you can relate to my seemingly endless addiction to offloading. My wife drives the wj more than I do which means I am left with the Audi. Now, don't get me wrong, it's a nice ride. But with tools, dogs, bikes, etc....it's just not the vehicle of choice. So we're getting rid of the Audi and replacing it with......? And here is my dilemma, I just can't see myself driving a car. So I've narrowed down my options to the following:
    Older, slightly modded Cherokee
    Liberty
    Tracker/vitara - 4 door
    Or some sort of Subaru wagon

Keep in mind my commute is short so no biggie there. I need space for gear, toys, pets, oh and my son on occasion. We do go camping at least once a year, bikes need to go somewhere, yadaa yadaa.

Any suggestions, opinions, sarcastic comments welcomed. I'll eventually make up my mind, but it's nice to bounce ideas of people who "get it". It being a serious addiction to jeeps, off roading, lifts, peterson's etc.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 2 Mths 14 Hrs 51 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    There is a guy down in Arkansas with one of these for sale. Lots of storage space
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails redneck_monster_school_bus.jpg  

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 1 Day 6 Hrs 9 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 46 Secs
    Since you don't commute far without a doubt an XJ in good shape would be my first choice. If I had the time and cash when I got mine I would have brought one up from the states but I found an almost completely rust free one that had been driven here from BC for $800. The space in the back is awesome since the rear seat folds flat to the height of the cargo area. Stock for stock the most capable of the group but I was surprised with how capable my parents libby was (has the e-locker rear diff) when I took it to Bob for the clean up (before I had my XJ) However, fuel millage is no better then my XJ, cargo room is less, more things to go wrong on it and the transmission is a little archaic for a modern vehicle , does handle surprisingly well for a high cog SUV though but not as "fun" to drive as the tail happy XJ

Driven a few older Subaru's and their great to drive but even the wagon won't give you as much room

Just my $.02

Time Online: 1 Yr 8 Mths 3 Wks 19 Hrs 59 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 51 Mins 41 Secs
    X2 on the xj. As long as it's not the 2.8.

Sent from my GT-I5800D using Tapatalk
    1989 Jeep YJ, AMC 401 fuel injected, D60 welded/14b locked, SM-465, np203 to Dana20 doubler, 44" XMLs, etc....

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 1 Day 6 Hrs 9 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 46 Secs
    This ^ 2.8L's were found in 84-86 XJ's. Most all are 4.0L's but look for one 91 or newer as they have the HO head.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 4 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 12 Hrs 8 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 4 Secs
    yup, I agree on the XJ but make sure it's an I6-4.0L not a 4banger....you will regret a 4banger!!

I loved my modded 93' XJ, only parted with her cause I really wanted a TJ If it wasn't for my mom's deal on the TJ, I'd still have it!!

I've heard good things about the Vitara's as well but again...stay away from the 4cyls!!
    I don't have an attitude problem, you're just an asshole!!

2004 Grand Cherokee Columbia edition
    1980 CJ Juggy
    OF4WD#6687 & 4928

Time Online: 5 Days 9 Hrs 33 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Secs
    well this is a start. @ShaneZ- I like that rig, but I'm concerned about mudflap legalities here in Toronto, plus stopping at all railway crossings would get tiresome fast!
    @RedneckyYJ - is the elocker an OEM option for the Libby?
    @pinkraisons - sounds like I'd better take a closer look at the XJ
    @sugar - Thanks for the advice.

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 51 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 44 Secs
    Subaru...expensive parts...
    Liby...bad mojo...and not a real Jeep IMHO...lol
    Tracker/Grand Vitara...thought you said you where lookin for SPACE....lmao

XJ..all the way...nuff said

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

Phft...JK are the new Minivan for soccer Moms...lol

And you can shove that "uni body" crap and "not a real frame" thing up.......lol
    So tired of that...I don't care what anyone says....Body Lifts are the Gay....who needs the top of a frame...Ive got whole body as the top of my frame....lol
    They call me Monkey cause I'm the silver back of the bunch
    87 XJ Lifted with stuff(Zombie Apocalypse Edition)
    87 YJ Lifted with stuff(Wifes)Mall Edition
    99 Ram Toy Hauler Edition
    OF4WD Member 5275 www.4-lo.ca

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 43 Secs
    go for the xj
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 2 Days 11 Hrs 55 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Secs
    Go with the XJ.
    Liberty would be my next choice, but why when you can get an XJ and retain your manhood.
    Subaru's have good marketing, who cares.
    Trackers/vitaras??? Is this a joke, I think I'd sooner drive a powerwheels (electric kids car), and when I park it on the grass and walk away all proud, the people would say... "at least its not a tracker"

Time Online: 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 36 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 10 Secs
    *grain of salt alert, as i don't actually drive

but anyways, how off-roadable does it REALLY need to be? do you really ever plan on BOTH going out and driving? sharing the time on the trails won't work? by considering a subaru, i'm guessing not very? just more space than a sedan offers.

i ask, because as a cyclist, and an outdoorsy kind of guy, with 2 dogs (both 50ish pound border collie crosses, so NOT a glorified rat dog thing), my wife and i get by just fine with a VW golf. it's a hatchback, so dogs go in the back, bikes go up top, still get great fuel economy (TDI). we can fit 4 adults, and 4 bikes (3 up top, one in the trunk). i don't know how much space you need for tools though, or how much camping gear you feel the need to have (my wife and i do just fine with a YJ! but we pack somewhat light, being backpacker types). but yeah, if you want gas, and the comfort of piece of mind of awd, audi A3? same car. want bigger? got a bigger wallet? volvo XC70, 90, or maybe even the 60? i know all 3 of these ideas, like the subaru, maintenance costs are up there......but you already have an audi, so you know how it is. maybe even an older audi all-road?

if something a little more "mall crawler-ish" is needed/wanted.........xterra? land rover(again, maintenance might be a deal breaker!)? maybe, if you can stand the interior (it's horrible in my mind) the new FJ? speaking of horrible interiors, the JK. i know it's only the interior, but it is where you have to spend most of the time................besides; remember the jeep vs. sidekick video? everything said about TJ's is at least 5x worse for JK's.......

i don't know exactly what you want this car/truck to do. asking if you should get an outback or an XJ are somewhat opposite ends of the refinement, purpose and price ranges. so first, figure out what the vehicle will be used for. but if a subaru will do, so too will a golf wagon (it's bigger than a golf, it's what used to be the jetta). if you want a trail rig.....that is also a "school bus", you already have one in the cherokee. do you need 2?
    Last edited by sime; 09-23-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: more thoughts