Thread: Lockers!!!!

Time Online: 16 Hrs 2 Mins 42 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Secs

Lockers!!!!

Hey guys and Gals!!!

So i have the jeep where i want it. Lift, tires, body mods etc etc.
    Now it's time to get into the mechanics. I wanna start with lockers just for the fact that Where i live it will come in really handy this winter. Problem is i don't know where to start? i need a what why and where answer

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 22 Secs
    I don't think you will need a locker or lockers plural much on the street, unless you're lodged in a snowbank.

What do you drive?

ARB makes some nice selectable lockers that function as open when unlocked, then with the flip of a switch lock 100%. Since adding a locker to either axle means re-setting your gears, it's probably a good time to change gear ratios as well for the bigger tires you have added.

Welcome to the site.

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 57 Secs
    I'd rather have posi's for the street than a locker(selectable or auto). My Detroit would have been a PIA to deal with if I ever drove it in the winter.

^ Yes. I have a Detroit Truetrac in the front axle and an ARB in the back, and winter driving is a piece of cake. The Truetrac adds traction without making the Jeep understeer through turns and I keep a good turning radius on rock in 4 Low, and the ARB works great for when a wheel is lifted off road.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 17 Hrs 32 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 48 Secs
    you cant go wrong with a lunchbox, they are cheap and easy to install and the rode manors are not too bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayheminc View Post
    Life is good in the republic of bacon
    RETREAD #9

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 38 Secs
    I've run various lunchboxes front and rear in the winter but then again i can also drive and talk on the phone. I guess it depends on how good of a driver you are.

97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Time Online: 3 Wks 5 Days 8 Hrs 36 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 9 Secs
    ummmm, didn't you drive off a cliff?

My Mood
    Devilish
    Time Online: 2 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 10 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 17 Secs
    What gears are you running?

its just stock gears right now. 2000 TJ 4.0L
    all this is a lot of help guys! thanks!!

Time Online: 5 Days 9 Hrs 33 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Secs
    get what you can afford. Most people can get accustomed to the lunchbox street characteristics. Selectable is awesome if you can afford it, but then all your traction depends on the air or electric locking mech working right. Either way, you definitely won't need either for street driving. But off road lockers make an enormous impact on traction.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 17 Hrs 45 Mins 18 Secs
    im running aussie locker front and back. i drive it on the road every day and beat the piss out of it on the weekend. i havnt had any problems at all on the road or the trails. go with the lunch box locker.

aussie lockers sound like what i need. Anyone know of any that i can engage and dis-engage when i want??

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 17 Hrs 32 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 48 Secs
    that costs a butt load extra

the lunch box is a full time locker. no way to switch it off and on but it does unlock when you remove power and turn a corner. it takes a little bit of skill to keep the tires from chirping but it is possible

From a guy that ran an Aussie in the back of his TJ, selectables are worth the extra money. You could probably get away with an Aussie in the front, but in a short wheelbase (TJ) running two non-selectable lockers can be a death wish in winter. The Aussie I had was horrid on ice. Saying you can get used to it is well and good, but why get used to undesirable handling characteristics when a better system really isn't that much more expensive in the grand scheme of things?

ARB is probably the most recognizable selectable locker - it uses compressed air to lock. There are also mechanically operated lockers (OX) and electric (Ected).

Another thing to consider with either an auto locker or a lunchbox locker is that you're going to put a bunch more shock loads on your otherwise stock axle shafts.

Finally, the guys with the longer wheelbases (WJ, XJ) would suffer fewer negative characteristics with a lunchbox locker compared to a SWB Jeep.

Cost breakdown of an Aussie vs. a selectable locker, like an ARB:

ARB $900
    Pump $200
    Install $300
    Total: $1400

Aussie: $300 or so, and you can install yourself if so inclined
    Maybe you need a carrier, e.g. if it's going in the back and the Jeep came with a limited slip from the factory, or if you're re-gearing and hit the carrier break

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Wks 17 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 49 Secs
    I have an aussie, best upgrade I've ever made! I feel that if your rig is stock and your contemplating a 3" lift, a locker will get you more places then the couple inches of clearence.

Depends what rear axle you have, it took me less then an hour to install the aussie in the back (and I'm no mechanic, have delicate computer nerd fingers)

As long as you know how to turn your locker on and off with your driving style you should be ok... although there are situations where you can really feel it changing lanes for you.

As Hustler has pointed out a selectable is THE best option but it comes with some cost.

Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 17 Hrs 6 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 56 Secs
    you may also want to consider a full Detroit locker. if your re gearing past your carrier break you need to replace the carrier anyways.. by the time you buy carrier and lunchbox you may as well get a detroit..

detroit for d30 is 547$
    lunchbox is 270-300$ plus a 373 up carrier is 76$ plus spiders ect your close to the price of a full locker..
    Now i have a JEEP I am getting good at fixing things lol

Time Online: 3 Wks 5 Days 1 Hr 40 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 8 Secs
    Last edited by TiKi; 05-07-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schmaeher View Post
    Hi I have been thinking tru trac front and rear for a 4th jk can u give mevsome real world thoughts or experience with winter? Also any comments on durability?
    I did have a front and rear Truetrac before the ARB went i the back. They work great on road - totally invisible, until a wheel starts slipping. On a 4 door, they would be even better since the handling would be a little less tail heavy. Truetracs are MUCH better than factory limited slips because there are no clutches to wear out, they are very strong (currently warrantied to 38" tires), and they are always there, waiting to do some work. No switches to flip, or sudden shock loads when they kick in either. They run best on non-synthetic oil, so maintenance is cheap. Detroit even engineered them so that the front has more preload and activates before the rear, so you pull out of a slide in the snow with the gas, rather than spin out.

If you don't want a locker, but do want more traction then a Truetrac is a good choice.

All that said, after having an ARB in the back I love it off road, and will probably go that way in the front. You really can't beat a selectable locker in the dirt.

Time Online: 6 Days 21 Hrs 29 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs
    Since you're in the Ottawa area, I'd suggest that you talk to Dan @ National out in Smiths Falls for pricing if you're looking for a shop to do the install. If you're still running stock gearing and have gone with a larger tire, you might want to consider a gear swap at the same time.

How large of a tire are you running? How often do you get out wheeling, and what type of trails do you run?

The reason I ask about tire size is that most folks don't recommend locking the rear at all if you're in a 35" tire with the stock D35 rear.

If this is your DD and will be winter driven, I agree that a mild limited slip or a selectable locker is likely the better solution as it will give you the best road manners. More trails = ARB/OX/etc, less trails = limited slip IMHO. Now, if it's more of an occasional driver and you have something else to get around in, go with the lunchbox style lockers (Aussie, Lockrite, Spartan). They are a good economical option that you can install yourself pretty easily.

Good luck.