Thread: Looking at Smart Phones .......need help

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 18 Hrs 20 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 23 Secs

Looking at Smart Phones .......need help

Ok, so I am not up to speed with the tech world, and I need some edumaction....and yes that is not spelled correct.

I am looking at the "Smart" phones for my travels. I do not want a monthly plan in Canada because most of my work is overseas. I am looking for a phone with twin SIM cards , something I can read and send e-mails with, store music and files bla bla bla. Who has what and what do you suggest?

Please do not use fancy techno terms when explaining features....... small words for the old guy pls......

Peace , beers and all of that

Pete
    91 Suburban on 38 Swampers, 5.7 (350) V1500 4x4. Big ...red...and ugly.

"The camel toe is the smile of the body, if the body were a face"

Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 7 Hrs 36 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 46 Secs
    I use a blackberry. I have a Curve and my wife has the Torch...personally, other than the BlackBerry messenger, which allows you to message other blackberry users for "free", blackberry sucks.
    I/We have een with blackberrys for maybe 2 years. Between the 2 of us we have gone through 7 or so. Keep in mind, about 5 of those are me, I work construction, but never really had a major issue that was my fault, just blackberry issues.

I have always hated mac..but I must say, they iPhone is a great phone.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 4 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 17 Hrs 32 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 51 Secs
    Skip the over priced iphone and the about to go under BB and go right for a droid OS. I have had mine for over a year now and have had 1 problem. That's only because I dropped if from 2 storys up and all it needed was a master reboot. Other then that its done everything and more I wanted to too.

Best suggestion is go with something with a real keybord. Using a screen to type out long post and such sucks balls. That's just mho though

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayheminc View Post
    Life is good in the republic of bacon
    RETREAD #9

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 2 Hrs 41 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 23 Secs
    Motorola Atrix , has voice to text for us old guys that don't want to type, also has voice to search web and it is faster than my apple at home . I have had it for about 7-8 months and have had no issues that weren't easily solved at home.
    2dr 5spd Cherokee
    I want to be tugged
    SMWIA 539

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 6 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 7 Hrs 41 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 41 Secs
    iPhone hand down. Voice to text, and everything else a droid can do and more. The actual phone seems better than all the droid makes too. Never will I buy a motorola or LG phone again.
    Had a android phone first.... Not even comparable to the ease of use of the iphone

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Without a contract, you will pay thru the roof for any phone

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

But dual sim card is not available for iPhone. Unsure how much selection you will have with a dual sim
    1952 Jeep M38 project

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 3 Days 11 Hrs 20 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 58 Secs
    You're gonna have 1000 different opinions on here so it may not help you all that much.

But to make it 1001, I still recommend a Blackberry. The new ones are better than other older ones tha thad issues. I've had a few different ones over the last few years and other than a battery thats getting tired the only problems I have with it is from my own abuse. The way I always looked at it is that I want a phone because I use it was a tool - I use a blackberry. You want a toy, get an android or iphone. I have a keyboard and everything I have just works (unlike a lot of android-using friends that may work, but often have to play with stuff to get it to). In business environments, nothing beats a blackberry. That said, I think it will be changing in the near future as Iphone and Android make changes to get a percentage of that market.

I know it may sound silly, but if no other reason. BUY CANADIAN, BUY BLACKBERRY.
    Tri-City Jeep Club

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 6 Days 16 Hrs 14 Mins 31 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by tonkatruck View Post
    You're gonna have 1000 different opinions on here so it may not help you all that much.

But to make it 1001, I still recommend a Blackberry. The new ones are better than other older ones tha thad issues. I've had a few different ones over the last few years and other than a battery thats getting tired the only problems I have with it is from my own abuse. The way I always looked at it is that I want a phone because I use it was a tool - I use a blackberry. You want a toy, get an android or iphone. I have a keyboard and everything I have just works (unlike a lot of android-using friends that may work, but often have to play with stuff to get it to). In business environments, nothing beats a blackberry. That said, I think it will be changing in the near future as Iphone and Android make changes to get a percentage of that market.

I know it may sound silly, but if no other reason. BUY CANADIAN, BUY BLACKBERRY.
    ^+1 my vote is for the new blackberry bold! It will do anything and everything with ease and I have proven it nearly indestructible like it takes mad abuse! Best phone I've ever had by far. I will easily compete for ease of use with it's touchscreen and the solid keyboard is also there when u need it. BB 9900 ftw!

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 6 Hrs 7 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 55 Secs
    If you are going BlackBerry (which I would highly recommend), wait until early 2012 if you can. BBX operating system will be out then and I have it on my PlayBook and it's beautiful! The new handsets are going to be amazing.

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 26 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by tonkatruck View Post
    The way I always looked at it is that I want a phone because I use it was a tool - I use a blackberry. You want a toy, get an android or iphone.

The man makes some excellent points!

Here's an iPhone joke:

30% of any room full of people have iPhones. How do you know which people those are?

Don't worry, they'll tell you.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Time Online: 6 Mths 1 Wk 3 Days 7 Hrs 41 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 41 Secs
    Because 30% of the room know how superior it is lol

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 26 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by trotter3333 View Post
    Because 30% of the room know how superior it is lol
    They are pretty cool to play with, but as Aleks said - if you want a phone for work the business standard is and will continue to be a Blackberry. If you want to play Angry Birds and listen to some music, iPhones are great.

Also to the point of buying Canadian - I sell houses for a living. I've never sold a house to a guy that works for Apple. I have definitely sold a house to a guy that works at RIM.

Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 22 Hrs 18 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 23 Secs
    if you spend alot of time overseas, then look into getting a phone based there. (ie buy it there, and get a sim card that will work in Canada) rates and options are way better that way, but it is only really worth it if you spend alot of time out on Canada. I have always travelled for work, and have to say that there is nothing better for business than the BB. I know alot of people that have BB's and iphones and it is amazing how much more productive you can be with a BB. Ipohnes , andriods and the others are all good for entertainment and email etc, but they fall down when it comes to business applications. Always felt that if your primary want is to make $$$$ use the bb. If you want to be entertained use the others.
    semper ubi sub ubi

My Mood
    Lurking
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 18 Hrs 20 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 23 Secs
    All great responses , It sounds like the BB is the choice. Thank-you all for your feedback

My Mood
    Dead
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Days 2 Hrs 39 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 17 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckgirl View Post
    If you are going BlackBerry (which I would highly recommend), wait until early 2012 if you can. BBX operating system will be out then and I have it on my PlayBook and it's beautiful! The new handsets are going to be amazing.

The QNX OS will be provided for all of RIM's currently supported devices. Go cheap. Get a 2011 or older unit that you like and upgrade the OS when released

The Javelin was the best model IMHO. Even though it was pre 3G.
    I BE GETTING BUILDING ME A REAL JEEP.....

Click here for details.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 41 Secs
    My parsonal preferance is android however I do work in IT so... however whatever platform you go with try to find a factory unlocked phone or one that the provider will give you the unlock code for. I have found that if you unlock it yourself they tend to get relocked with the next update...
    Last edited by Drizit; 11-07-2011 at 11:20 PM.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 3 Wks 2 Days 17 Hrs 6 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 57 Secs
    i have recently switched from iphone to android, i couldn't be happier. my phone is a samsung infuse 4g, it can easily be unlocked and rooted, 4.5" screen, voice to text..

the only problem I had with this phone was crappy battery life, as soon as I killed that stupid facebook app that problem also went away. don't be a apple fanboi.. also the main thing i was concerned with was apps, but i was able to get every app that i used on the iPhone in the android store.
    Now i have a JEEP I am getting good at fixing things lol

My Mood
    Dead
    Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Days 2 Hrs 39 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 17 Secs
    Blackberry handsets are easily unlocked permanently. I think only apple is mean like that....