Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Project Sandstorm REMIX

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    I have an AW4/DEO flipped twin stick 300 with all shifters, flexplate, computer etc that was wired up for manual shifting to a TJ. Was going to install in mine but think my engine is angry at me. Cant recall if you have an Atlas. Had a couple people sniffing around but if your interested i can follow up.
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Wks 17 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher-One View Post
    Got the clutch and the last of the manual transmission parts out.
    Now I need to begin the problem of sourcing all the AW4 swap parts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    I have an AW4/DEO flipped twin stick 300 with all shifters, flexplate, computer etc that was wired up for manual shifting to a TJ. Was going to install in mine but think my engine is angry at me. Cant recall if you have an Atlas. Had a couple people sniffing around but if your interested i can follow up.
    HEY! ...wait a minute. what's with all you TJ guys stealing all the XJ parts?!!!
    OF4WD MEMBER# 6656

Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 21 Hrs 47 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 18 Secs
    ^Punisher used to be an xj guy, he owned mine before it became what it now is. so he's known all along the superiority of xj parts.

And Curt I always wondered where that 300 ended up. such a nice kit for flipping!
    The OG HOISTWAGON
    99 XJ, CT Motorsports built, Tons, 37" MTR/Ks, TMR 3-link and Beadlocks, CrewFab Cage and Bumpers, PSC full hydro

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    32 spline outputs front and rear collecting dust on my shop floor. Lol

Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 21 Hrs 47 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 18 Secs
    That makes me sad Curt, those DEO Flip kits are nice

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 33 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    So thanks to Curt I have 90% of the bits and pieces for this swap! Going to be putting the transmission in tomorrow and hopefully everything will line up and go together! Once that is done I can figure out the wiring of the RADesigns shifter. Then I can pickup my TMR Customs transmission mount kit and skidplate and button everything up! I know it all fits into two sentences but it will probably take me a month!

For anyone thinking of this swap I have one major piece of advice: do not count on dealerships having anything to help. They couldn't even get some of the parts (small bolts and cover plates) and others were so prohibitively expensive. Wrecking yards also do not keep the small parts (dust shields, covers for the tub, cables, shifters) in inventory. Just an FYI!
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8snwmx View Post
    Nice navy model Sig 226!
    Just saw this comment!

Yeah it is really sweet. Can't beat Sig Sauer quality. I paid for the anchor though...a normal P226 would have been just fine....but who wants to be normal!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    So the AW4 is in! Bolted up! Torque converter bolted to flywheel! I don't have any pictures of the install but it went okay. I didn't line up the torque converter correctly on the shaft of the transmission initially so we couldn't get the bellhousing close enough to the block. After figuring out my stupidity we got it all lined up and in! If I never have to screw with another transmission on a floor jack ever again in my life I'll be a happy person!

Time Online: 1 Yr 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 16 Hrs 51 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Mins 26 Secs

Re: Project Sandstorm REMIX

If I never have to screw with another transmission on a floor jack ever again in my life I'll be a happy person!
    I did it once and bought a transmission jack the next time I had to drop a trans! Never again!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
    I did it once and bought a transmission jack the next time I had to drop a trans! Never again!
    Being able to adjust the angle is crucial. Shaking the thing up and down lying on your back is not fun.

Also on the not fun list is drilling and chiseling out the pilot bearing and bushing from the crank.

Also on the not fun list is drilling and chiseling out the pilot bearing and bushing from the crank.
    Use bread.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Use bread.
    Autocorrect?

Autocorrect?
    Nope! YouTube pilot bearing removal with bread.

You will face palm lol. Epic trick of the trade! You can also use grease but it's way messier!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Nope! YouTube pilot bearing removal with bread.

You will face palm lol. Epic trick of the trade! You can also use grease but it's way messier!
    OH FFS!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    So this is the template that TMR had from their BluePrint build for re-drilling the output of the AW4 for the correct clocking on the TJ's 231.

Correctly drilled it looks like so:

This is what the bearing and bushing looks like drilled and chiseled out:

Now THE AW4 writeup on Stu Olsen's (stuoffroad.com) website says to be careful not to drill through the bushing and into the crank. Well I didn't at first and then tried to chisel it out. The chisel mangled the crank output a bit. So I then drilled through the bushing and into the crank a little bit. One hit with the chisel and the bushing cracked and came out. So I would, in hindsight, drill through the bushing completely and into the crank. It is much easier to clean up a little drill hole than it was to dremel my chisel marks out of the crank. In the end it worked but it wasn't fun and it wasn't pretty.

After some wrangling the AW4 was in. Torque converter and flywheel weren't too hard to line up. Spin the torque converter with a finger (super easy) and line one bolt up. Then it was as simple as manhandling the crank pulley until and new bolt/hole came in to view and tighten it up! Locktite on everything of course!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    So I picked up all my line, AN fittings, and B&M transmission cooler from TMR and got it installed this week. I forgot to grab some of their new tabs to zip-tie the cooler lines out of the way but I'll grab a few and weld them on next week. Got the cooler positioned and lines routed.

You can see the cooler peeking out from where I placed it on the rad. Should get plenty of flow up there on the highway and air will be pulled through by the fan on the trail.

Output from trans to cooler:

Then I ran the Throttle Valve cable from the AW4 to the throttle body. I mistook this originally for a kickdown cable. It is NOT a kickdown cable. It is a throttle valve cable. Basically when the throttle opens this cable gets tighter. This in turn firms up the shifts in the AW4 based on how heavy you are on the throttle. I was not going to use this with my purely manual shifting AW4 but that would be a huge mistake. All the hookups are there from the factory no modifications to anything on the manual truck were required aside from removing a little spring on the throttle body. In the following picture it is the black line to the left of the throttle body at the single attachment point.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Hrs 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 6 Secs
    Nicely done.

What year Cherokee did it come out of?

Do you think you might need to add a secondary cooler?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    I think it's out of a 1997. All my research suggest the transmissions from 1991.5 - 2001 were the exact same mechanically. The differences are 1991.5-1995(OBDI), 1995-1999(OBDII), and 1999-2001(OBDII)for the computer and wiring outputs.
    I doubt I will need an second auxiliary cooler. With the airflow coming through at highway speeds and the fan pulling it in wheeling I should be okay. I have wired the torque converter lockup so at speed the converter will be locked while cruising and that helps keep temps lower too. This is larger than a factory cooler and Timerlake's Cherokee transmission didn't overheat this year with him wheeling it on 37s.
    Last edited by Punisher-One; 04-02-2015 at 09:00 PM.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    So it's all in. The Jeep backs out of the garage and back in just fine. The shift controller seems to work. I finished up about 11 last night so I didn't take it for a long test drive. I'll do that tomorrow. I also didn't get pics of any of the work I did as I was on a roll and when it's going good you just keep at it. I'll take some today. The only thing not working is the torque converter lockup. The switch is on but it's not locking up. I must have messed up the connector at the trans or may have picked the wrong wire altogether. I'll diagnose it on Friday.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Gauge, shifter, and RA Designs (www.radesignsproducts.com) shifter in and mounted up:

I tapped the right wire so the gauge light actually works!!

Misc pics of the crossmember, frame mounts, exhaust hanger, clearance of exhaust, and the sensor welded into the transmission pan:

The transmission crossmember kit came from TMR Customs (www.tmrcustoms.com) and was also a super easy install. I had to cut the one long flat piece into two to make it fit with the bolt diameter. Once I tacked that stuff in to place it was a matter of measuring how much the crossmember hung down. I mounted it about 2.5" below the frame which will allow me to use the TMR Customs 3" drop skidplate. The lower you make that crossmember the easier it is to fit the exhaust in. The exhaust is already a huge PITA to fit so mounting it up higher closer to my cooler lines wasn't something that I really wanted to do.

The dog wanted to help on such a nice day!

So I filled it with 6L of transmission fluid and took it for a rip up the highway. The torque converted lockup (which I thought wasn't working) actually does work. It is just not allowed to lock in 1st. So when I was testing it and though it didn't work I didn't realize that no matter what it doesn't lock in first. Once I got back it was up to 175 degrees which is normal for operating temp. I needed add another 2L of tranny fluid for a total of 8L. After just a pan dump I thought that was a bit much but whatever.

The RA Designs shifter works mint. I can't recommend his products enough. Not only does it make the swap super simple, it is an extremely easy install, and his customer service is fantastic. The transmission shifts great and the shifter is super easy to use and wire.

Mounting the exhaust sucked. I can't state how much I hate exhaust work. It is brutal. That downpipe (factory) is a useless piece of shit that no matter what never stays tight and always leaks. I hate it. We will never be friends!

I found myself jamming my foot down where the clutch should be more than once lol. It's going to take some getting used to. The transmission doesn't downshift like a manual. There is virtually no engine braking on downshift. I haven't had an automatic as a personal vehicle in more than a decade.

This particular AW4 sat in my garage for years. It seems to work just fine. The fluid that came out of it was pink and in all reality probably didn't even need to be changed. From all the reading I've done these things are essentially bulletroof if you make sure they don't burn up. So I am looking forward to running it this summer!

All in all this swap was not overly difficult to do. Most of my time was spent re-wiring all my garbage into a new painless fuse box. Without doing that I could have done this swap in maybe a weekend of solid working days.

Anyways she's basically done so I'll see everyone at the TMR Customs Open house on Sunday!
    Last edited by Punisher-One; 05-01-2015 at 08:15 PM.