Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Project Sandstorm REMIX

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 44 Secs
    A very little bit of work now or a lot of work and money later.
    Plenty out there. Here's one. I'll take the pump and sending unit for a couple bucks. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ318339519

Also have to call a guy about a wiring harness i'm picking up probably this week. Betting he has a tank and skid too kickin around for cheaper then that. I'll let ya know what i find out Sandy.
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

My Mood
    Cool
    Time Online: 3 Mths 4 Days 8 Hrs 36 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 46 Secs
    Professional lunatic
    TJ V3.0 in the works "This is only temporary, unless uhhhh..... it works."
    I get confused once numbers get bigger than I can count on my appendages. I'm only good up to 21!
    one quarter turn before something breaks is a good torque spec.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 31 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    A very little bit of work now or a lot of work and money later.
    Plenty out there. Here's one. I'll take the pump and sending unit for a couple bucks. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ318339519

Also have to call a guy about a wiring harness i'm picking up probably this week. Betting he has a tank and skid too kickin around for cheaper then that. I'll let ya know what i find out Sandy.
    Thanks Curt I messaged that guy to see about it....also let me know about this other guy. I don't feel bad about totally destroying a $60 tank!

@ H8TO WRK - I realize fuel cells are cheaper but I am not crazy about putting it in the cab. I'd like to keep my cargo space for tools and NOT have a gas tank/fumes in there with me.
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Hey Curt,
    What were you running for coils/shocks in the back of your rig when you still had the stock frame back there? How much stretch was it at? Did you just re-use the factory coil bucket?
    Last edited by Punisher-One; 11-09-2011 at 01:05 AM.

4" lift coils and 14" Bilstein 5125's. 4" stretch made the coils look like this and this was the first way i mounted the shocks. Not ideal.

Then did this for the shocks. Better.

I'd probably, as seen here (best pic i could find in a quick search), cut off the rear coil frame bracket and relocate (ideally nip into the frame for best results, not done here) and do up the ford shock tower frame notch mod (or make your own)

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    You will hate 4.10 gears and a 4.0 motor. I have a Chev 350, 4.10s and 39" tires. On the street it is a dog to get going. Even the hills in cottage country I have to down shift and I only have 3 gears. If you have a manual you will probably never use 5th and 4th will be for flat ground.

The only reason I can get away with it off-road is a doubler and 73:1 low range.
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisbuilt View Post
    You will hate 4.10 gears and a 4.0 motor. I have a Chev 350, 4.10s and 39" tires. On the street it is a dog to get going. Even the hills in cottage country I have to down shift and I only have 3 gears. If you have a manual you will probably never use 5th and 4th will be for flat ground.

The only reason I can get away with it off-road is a doubler and 73:1 low range.
    Oh I don't doubt that I will hate it. I just don't know if gears are in the budget. Priority is getting this thing going. Anything after that is a secondary concern.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    So a little bit more work done today.
    I'll tell you those lower control arms mounts are hell to grind off. The uppers are butter...no wonder they rip off.

This is the best solution I found....grind the outer side off first and then pound the bracket to 90 degrees...that way you can zing the cutoff wheel right up parallel with the frame and make it easier to get the inside off:

Finally off....up yours bracket!!!!

Zinged off the upper:

Be very careful to watch the fuel lines and brake lines. I pushed them up over the frame and put a piece of cardboard infront of them. I did however still nick the fuel line a bit...just a graze...a scuff really...but still...care is needed on the drivers side!

The front lower was an absolute nightmare. Poor angle to get at the weld and they are strong. They are on there good! After an hour or so I finally got the one drivers lower off....decided to call it a day at that point.

Should have ground the stock weld off the tops and the back piece and used a chisel and hammer. WAY easier.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    Should have ground the stock weld off the tops and the back piece and used a chisel and hammer. WAY easier.
    Yeah I am getting a chisel tonight or tomorrow. I snapped the head off of my snap-on pry bar trying to use it as a chisel lol. Fail.

Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 21 Hrs 47 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 19 Secs
    Shouldn't you be out in the garage right now, instead of inside on the computer
    The OG HOISTWAGON
    99 XJ, CT Motorsports built, Tons, 37" MTR/Ks, TMR 3-link and Beadlocks, CrewFab Cage and Bumpers, PSC full hydro

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by MattK View Post
    Shouldn't you be out in the garage right now, instead of inside on the computer
    My back can only take so much lying down grinding in one day....also my patience can only take so much ignorant factory bracketry for one day.

Make sure you take good notes brother, it ain't gonna be any easier on the uni-body

Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 21 Hrs 47 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 19 Secs
    Oh I'm sure the xj will have a few nasty surprises of it's own. You gonna be grinding and hacking and swearing at it on saturday night?

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 17 Hrs 46 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    What you using for grinding disks? Walker zip disks would make light duty of that.

Nice to see it coming along.
    My latest project... Collection of Parts

Other stuff... Building a doubler, D300 Flip kit

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    "Coil springs are for ballpoint pens and pogo sticks".
    ебут раком

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak Flash View Post
    What you using for grinding disks? Walker zip disks would make light duty of that.

Nice to see it coming along.
    Canadian Tire metal cut-off wheels on my 4.5" grinder. They were on sale 15 for $15.00 down from $30!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    So I did some thinking today and came to the conclusion that factory front TJ coils should work well in the rear of my rig. They are 4" taller than the rears. Adding in the extra height of the tube and the spring perches I think I should get 5" to 6" out of them in relation to the factory rears. I'm going to be using the TMR CUSTOMS coild buckets designed for front TJ coils. Good kit and come with the coil retainers as well to keep them in there. Should work mint and save me a bit of cash!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    A little more progress today. Got the lower control arm mount on the passenger side off and the upper control arm mount on the drivers side off. I think I may just leave the passenger side mount on there....it won't affect the front 3-link setup at all. Started to hack at the trac-bar bracket...that is one massive beast. That thing is going to take a while!!! Next step is to clean up the frame a little with a flap disc and burn the rear 4-link mounts on!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 16 Hrs 11 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 40 Secs
    Come on... chop chop... get to work, lets see some updates
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizit View Post
    Come on... chop chop... get to work, lets see some updates
    I can only work on it on my days off man!
    More work will be done this week/weekend. Hoping to have the front trac-bar mount off and the frame cleaned up and the 4link mounts mocked up....if I get the welder I'm looking at they may even get burned on!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    So I did some work today....not much but some.
    I attacked the front trac-bar bracket. I assume it is cast in a mold that was laid by Jesus using metal blessed by god himself because that thing does not want to come off. Seriously. It killed five grinding discs and it's still there! Here is how far I got before moving on to something less frustrating for a while:

Decided to take all the flares off as I sure won't be needed them. They are up for sale BTW:

Then my early Christmas presents arrived.....39.5x13.5x17 IROKs

Couldn't help it!

Box of goodies from TMR Customs: