Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Project Sandstorm REMIX

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 31 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    So I got the drivers side frame rail welded up today....didn't go quite as well as the passenger side...this piece didn't fit as well and unfortunately there was quite a bit of gap that needed to be filled at the front on the inside of the frame rail. It will hold up no problem it just looks ugly...my 3-link bracket will be going over that area and should sandwich it in nice.
    All in all I can say that without these pieces from "Auto Rust Technicians" repairing the frame rails would have been much more difficult and time consuming for sure. At $350 to my door from the US they aren't super-expensive. Sure you can do it yourself for cheaper but it will take you a lot longer and you'd need to do a lot more measuring and test-fitting.
    Going to work on getting the 14 bolt truss burned on there now.
    Will have some more pics up tonight.
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

My Mood
    Aggressive
    So the truss is on! Added a little "custom" touch to it....it made me happy and that is really all that matters!

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 1 Hr 26 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 44 Secs
    You should have cleaned the pumpkin up first and hit it with at least some primer before welding on the truss. Build Looks good though! Are you going to build out off the truss down the tubes?
    TIME TO KICK ASS AND CHEW BUBBLE GUM

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshityourpants View Post
    You should have cleaned the pumpkin up first and hit it with at least some primer before welding on the truss. Build Looks good though! Are you going to build out off the truss down the tubes?
    Yeah I realized that...oh well...I cleaned the flaky rust off...the rust-adhering primer should be okay.

No...the upper link mounts will be on the top of the truss. The lowers, coil buckets, and shock tabs will be all out on the ends. I'll have to figure something out for the sway-bar too...not sure what I am going to do about that just yet.

Pics of the drivers side frame rails:

Time Online: 1 Yr 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 16 Hrs 51 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Mins 32 Secs
    So who welded the truss on for you? lol. Cuz it sure wasn't the same person that did the frame rails

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
    So who welded the truss on for you? lol. Cuz it sure wasn't the same person that did the frame rails
    LOL!

Welding on my back in the garage on cleaned up rusty metal with my Lincoln 180 isn't my best welding I'll give you that...but I can weld to make it look nice....especially with a hotter machine on flat ground.
    Last edited by Punisher-One; 01-19-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 4 Hrs 8 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 34 Secs
    FAKKK nice build. Boy can i ever relate to what you are going through though !!!

On the rail plates. Does the new metal have accomodations for a tummy tuck plate? Just wondering cuz i had to do something similar to replace all my spinnin' rivnuts....

Looking good.
    RIP OD, YOU'LL BE MISSED.... BUT that's OK 'cuz you've been REPLACED !!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    On the rail plates. Does the new metal have accomodations for a tummy tuck plate? Just wondering cuz i had to do something similar to replace all my spinnin' rivnuts....

Looking good.
    IThey are the exact same dimensions as the factory....they do not hang down any lower (as long as you prep properly) so any tummy tuck skid that works with the factory frame will work with these. They are meant to slide over the factory sides and the bottom of the factory (rotted) frame is supposed to be cut out.
    I was, quite honestly, impressed with their construction. They look to be solid, were welded well, and were fast to ship. I would use more of their products if I needed them.
    Last edited by Punisher-One; 01-19-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Time Online: 2 Wks 5 Days 4 Hrs 8 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 34 Secs
    Your answer indirectly answered my question

I was just ensuring that the plate you used had inserts for the mountings for the skid plate. I couldn't tell from the pics.

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 44 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
    hahaha. What ^ said.

Looks awesome buddy! So when ya coming down slacker?
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Your answer indirectly answered my question

I was just ensuring that the plate you used had inserts for the mountings for the skid plate. I couldn't tell from the pics.
    Ahh yes for sure it does. Like I said...it is a complete replacement for the frame rail. They are welded nuts too not that crimped-on factory stuff. A little anti-seize and those things should never be a problem again!

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    hahaha. What ^ said.

Looks awesome buddy! So when ya coming down slacker?
    Shit I don't know. I'd like to sooner than later for sure...sometime NOT during rush hour lol.

You got the number! We'll be out there tonight and tomorrow night.............and a lot of the following nights. lol

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Got a bit more work done.
    So because I had to replace the frame rails under the transfer case skidplate the 4link brackets obviously needed some massaging. Spent the last could of days grinding and fitting them. Finally got them fitted up to where I could burn them home. This should have been done a long time ago but that's just the way it goes with finding new frame problems I suppose.
    Burned home the TMR Customs 4link brackets....not bad if I do say so myself!!!

So you can see I burned the rear of them on right at the end of where the new frame plate met the old frame. I tied them ALL in together so it was a massive weld and strong as hell. Before anyone comments about the gap at the top....the brackets are welded up both sides, on the top of the frame rail at the outside of the frame, on the bottom of the frame at the ends and the side as well. These things are not going anywhere....due to the new frame plates being welded up there it was just not possible to have the brackets fit flush at that small point. I'm not worried about it at all!

So next on the agenda is to get the bottom of the frame rails at the back there all patched up with new metal. After that I'll get the pinion angle on the 14B approximated so I can burn the control arm mounts and spring buckets on.

Burning them in already eh? Ballzy Sexy weld tho

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    Burning them in already eh? Ballzy Sexy weld tho
    Lol!
    They would have been burned in a month ago if my frame wasn't like swiss cheese all around there!
    I've had enough of dealing with it lol.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 2 Wks 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 20 Secs
    Looking good. Im always amazed how quick people get things done. I seem to take ages with everything
    Obsessed about offroading and moved from Spain to Vaughan.

Owner of a never ending YJ project: BUILD THREAD
    Winter beater 1998 Toyota 4Runner
    Owner of a Suzuki Sammy back in Spain
    www.d-limit.com

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Herve-D-Limit View Post
    Looking good. Im always amazed how quick people get things done. I seem to take ages with everything
    It's taken ages brother....you are not alone.
    If the frame problems hadn't come up I would have had these brackets on a month or more ago...but that is how this stuff goes....I am hoping it comes together quicker now anyways.
    I picked up my tube for my control arms and my Johnny Joints from TMR Customs today though!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Got the frame rail work finished on the passenger rear today. made another plate to go from the rear mounts all the way halfway up the wheel-arch. Lots of grinding, shaping, bending, and burning! All in all...not too bad....3hrs of work!
    Hoping my buddy is coming by to assist with mounting the GenRight tank tonight.....

Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 21 Hrs 47 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 19 Secs
    Ya Ya, I'm coming
    The OG HOISTWAGON
    99 XJ, CT Motorsports built, Tons, 37" MTR/Ks, TMR 3-link and Beadlocks, CrewFab Cage and Bumpers, PSC full hydro

My Mood
    Aggressive
    So unfortunately due to the width of the new GenRight tank and where I have the jack stands placed I couldn't get the tank in for mock up. We were able to remove the skid from the tank and sit that where it will be so I can still get the axle back to where it will sit.
    Another setback.....apparently my cylinder of welding gas has run out after only running 2lbs of my 10lb spool of wire through it. I can't figure it out.....the only explanation I can come up with is that keeping it in the cold and open hooked up to the welder has allowed expansion/contraction due to weather change to let gas leak out.
    So before I can go forward I need to go get the gas refilled....which I can hopefully do tomorrow.