Thread: XJ HP30 and Dana 44 axle swap into the YJ

Time Online: 2 Wks 7 Hrs 6 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 10 Secs

XJ HP30 and Dana 44 axle swap into the YJ

Just started the process of stripping down donor axles to go in my jeep and be done with the disconnect issues and wimpy 35c.

XJ Axles as they sit from daveVmax, thanks again by the way

HPD30 3.55 ? and a diff guard
    D44 3.55 ? with lockright

Plans: (first time doin this too)

some sandblasting, 4.88 gears, gusset the C's, leaf plates, raised shock mounts, redo all seals/bearings/brakes/joints, tube seals

After stripping down the 44, I noticed the tubes seem to be angled forward slightly, is this normal? or do I need these straightened?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44.jpg   30rough.jpg   44 and 30.jpg   44rough.jpg  
    93 YJ 2.5 4" lift on 33" MTR's Staangs Fab front bumper Titan TW12

OF4WD #6582

Time Online: 6 Days 19 Hrs 30 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs
    That depends on how far bent they are. Normally they have very little bend, like maybe about 2 or three degrees, max. Much more than that will cause axle bearing failure, or broken axles. Straighting them is a bit of a challenge, and generally speaking, you will need a tool, first off to determine how out of line they are, and then to re-align them. I happen to have "the tool". It is a tool steel bar, dead straight, with bearing "slugs" that fit into the axle tubes, and the inner bearing caps. I have had, and used it many times, for narrowing rearends for drag racing. I could loan you the tool, but I would need a healthy deposit on it to make sure I get it back.
    As for your gear swap etc..are you aware that you will also need to replace the carriers? 4:88's will NOT bolt onto 3:55 carriers.
    That being said, since you are gonna be into major $$, and still have wimpy axles, I would suggest you also upgrade the axle shafts, and on the 44, obtain a C clip eliminator kit. Available from several sources..Bear, Strange Engineering, Currie, Summit, etc.

Not trying to rain on your parade, and I am DAMNED sure somebody else will chime in, but for my money..loose the 44, and use an 8.8 out of an Explorer. The 8.8 has way bigger axle shafts (31 spline) Comes with disc brakes too. And you can get kits from a bunch of differant places, with weld on spring perches and shock mounts..RuffStuff fab or TMR to name two
    Yesterday's HISTORY, Tomorrow's a MYSTERY. LIVE FOR TODAY

Thought about the 8.8 too, but this deal just came a long. With a 4 banger, and no plans for bigger than 35" tires, I think the 44 will suit my purposes fine. I don't think the 44 is c-clip, I have a carrier for the 30 from my stock axle with 4.10's, and apparently I can use a 'thick' gear for the 44 and it makes up for the carrier height.

Oh geez, thats a rant...lol.

Ya sorry bout the pics, was at work, pics from phone, and uploading issues on the work computer led to small pics, but better some than none I figured. Will get better ones this week.

I considered just changing the shafts in the stock 30, but package deal, and ability to do alot of the prep work without removing the existing axle worked better for me. Plus the disco housing is ugly, figured it wouldnt be too hard to add a little metal and strengthen the tube without the disco housing in the way. Time is definately not an issue, the jeep is tucked away for the winter, these axles will occupy my need to learn, grind, bash on and be confused about for the winter.

Going to further disassemble the 44 this week and take the housing over to my friends shop, he used to build drag cars for Rudy Held, will see what he has to say bout it.

Time Online: 6 Days 19 Hrs 30 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Secs
    I have used both 44's and 8.8's, and have been building cars longer that most of you guys have been alive. Both have plusses and minuses. But at the end of the day, starting with a bent housing is not a good start.
    As far as using aftermarket brackets etc..Ruffstuf etc make antiwrap spring perches, which stop the springs from winding up (wheel hop), and give a much better ride..which is not a big deal on an XJ with stock springs, but becomes an issue with added leafs, or on CJ's and YJs. I'm just sayin what I have found, after lots of trial and error. I have broken lots of 44' components, but have never even wounded an 8.8..so there ya go