Thread: Drum to disc conversion on a dana 70

My Mood
    Happy
    Time Online: 2 Days 20 Hrs 37 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Secs

Drum to disc conversion on a dana 70

I thought I would put some info up on the site on topics I used to research. I couldn't find much on this subject, so here is what I did.

What you will need to easily convert to discs on the rear. Different setups will require different parts, but this is what I used.

1. a set of regular chevy front rotors. I used a 1975 k20 pickup as the example to order parts from napa. The rotors were $63 bucks each

2. A set of calipers. I used 1978 caddy eldorado rears because they are the same caliper as the regular chevy front caliper that everyone uses, but they have a parking brake. You know that it is the right caliper if there is about 7 1/16 beween caliper bolts. calipers were $75/each

3. a set of weld on caliper brackets from TMR customs. ($75)

Make sure you you cut off the original drum backing plate mount if it is too close to weld in the back side. Its a lot easier to do it before you weld the plate on.

once you have that cut off, clean it up with a flap disc.

Put the rotor in the loaded caliper and put the bearings back in the hub, with the hub nut snug so you know that is where the rotor will sit. Put the bracket against the caliper, because you need it to move with pad wear.

The caliper position is determined by bleeder screw. you need the bleeder at the very top, to make sure there is no air pockets in the brake system. I used a jack to hold the caliper position.

Tack the bracket, check clearances, see if the rotor spins, remove the caliper from the bracket, and remove the hub with the rotor.

Be very careful to place numerous small tacks equally along the bracket to prevent moving of the bracket when the welds cool. Ideally you want the bracket to have a mil or less between the bracket and caliper, when the stationary pad is pressed against the rotor. (the moving pad is the one against the caliper piston)

You will have to put the hub on and off numerous times to check for proper position and moving during welding.

now you are ready to install the hub and rotor, and caliper. make sure that the rotor spins fairly freely. there will be some resistance until the pads break in, but if it doesnt spin then something is not lined up properly.

This whole thing took me about 5 or 6 hours with a grinder, hammer, chisel, and a mig 180 (230v) welder.
    EdmCharger

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Hrs 1 Min 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 6 Secs
    Nice write up!

Where did you get your calipers from? Do you have a part number?

My Mood
    Happy
    Thanks Impact,

All I did was walk into Sidey Napa Auto Parts store here in Peterborough, say I want a set of rear calipers for a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado and a set of front rotors for a 1975 Chevy k20 pickup. TMR customs is very friendly and will tell you what bracket is right for you if you ask them.

I actually have the front axle from a 1975 3/4 ton blazer with is the same as the k20 pickup. So if it didn't work as part of this conversion, I could use the rotors on the front. I have 4 swappable rotors and calipers as the braking system as a result of this.

I have found that parts stores want the vehicle that the part is from, and not really anything else, because the number from Cardone is different than the Napa product #, ect.

Steve
    Last edited by Houseman; 12-31-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 18 Hrs 37 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 10 Secs
    Just curious why you used weld on caliper brackets when bolt ons are readily available for the same price?
    Is that a dually 1SU 70?
    CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!
    DINGA DING DANG, MY DANGA LONG LING LONG
    OF4WD#5576
    BOOYAH!!!

My Mood
    Happy
    not too sure why I used the weld on, other than I wanted full mounting control, but really I didn't explore that option. I didn't realize that they had bolt on for 3.5" tube. I'm a weld on type of guy anyway.

That axle is a ford e350 dually rear. not sure about the 1SU. I think it is 2U. if that is what you are talking about.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

TMR shows a bolt on dana 60 bracket and a bolt on 14 bolt. but the 60 is a flat bracket and you would have to use spacers and shims I assume to line it up properly. probably easier just to weld it anyway.

My Mood
    Happy
    I should also add that the parking brake arm and mounting bracket dont come with the calipers when you order them. I had the arm from the other set of caddy calipers I had.

I will add to the post when I figure that out.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Hrs 1 Min 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 6 Secs
    ^ Thanks for the info, looking forward to seeing the new picture.

Time Online: 2 Wks 3 Days 7 Hrs 19 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 25 Secs
    good write up!!! any pics update on the e-brake mounting brackets and what e-brake cables will you be using.
    BAJA41

OF4WD# 6560