Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 14 botl cab and chassis in a CJ7

Time Online: 1 Yr 1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 16 Hrs 51 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 33 Mins 32 Secs
    I told you if you need help just let me know.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    Looking real good. Sorry for falling off the face of the planet for a few months there. Life got inthe way and hit some difficult times that even my jeep took a back seat. Should have just pm'd you my contacts numbers.

Cheers to a get heavy axle sized well to your cj.
    90 YJ. 4link F/R, 16" SAW Airshocks, 32bolt Beadlocks, D60/14bolt, Full Hydro/Hydroboost L67 3.8SC 700r4 NP231/D300
    02 Yukon XL on 37's DD
    91 Cherokee Juggy scrapped for Greener Grass
    I prefer to build it and not buy it, you see it, I probably made it.

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 1 Sec
    No Worries, I had your cell number. We had talked about life getting in the way.... I figured you had more important things to deal with so I didn't bother you.

Yes It'll be nice to wheel with an axle I shouldn't be able to break. Maybe next winter it'll be a 60 for the front.... as long as I can keep the wife happy.

Well she's finally out on its wheels again. Still needs brake lines and bump stops.

It sits a little high in the rear so I'lkl probably build a new set of shorter shackles. This will lower me AND give me a better shackle angle.

Here is how far the wheels sit outside of the TJ flare. It looks like this side is out a little further than the driver side so I need to find out why as the axle is centered on the springs and the old axle didn't have this issue.

Next up- install the 10 bolt knuckles on the front 44 so I can match up the lug pattern, sell some parts so I can get a locker for the 14 bolt.[COLOR="Silver"]
    Last edited by Sidepipes; 03-21-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Hopefully will get some time to work on it this weekend.... I have a bunch of parts to throw at it.

Grizzly for the 14 bolt and all new parts to get the front axle together.

I hacked the Detroit for the front 44 back together... we'll see how it works. Worse comes to worse it goes back to an open diff until I figure out what my new front axle is going to be.

Time Online: 2 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 14 Hrs 23 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 5 Mins 44 Secs
    The locker might take too long to install so you might as well put it back in the box and send it my way.

Yeah way too long to install... I'll just pop it in the mail for you.....

Got some time to work on the front

cut/grind lines on the front brakes to clear 15" rims with 4" backspacing

Caliper pregrind

Caliper Post grind

I got brake lines re-run and mostly bled but have a couple of fittings that are seeping when I put pressure to them. I need to borrow a set of line wrenchs from a friend so I can torque them a bit more. If that doesn't work I guess I get to pull them and re-flare.

Wheels are ready to go on I just gotta hit up the Junkyard for lug nuts---I am not willing to pay $2.50-3.00 per lug nut that all places are asking for a 9/16 x 16 lugnut. I figured a buck, maybe a buck fitty....

Then put full insurance on it, wait 2-3 weeks, then go get tags for it and it will be on the road..... long, frustrating story that angers me to even about it.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Oh yeah a Scout D44 with GM 10 bolt outers comes in with a WMS- WMS measurement of around 62.5", just slightly narrower than the rear 14 bolt and 2" wider than when it had Scout outers on it.

FInally on the road today.

Gear pattern checked out excellent for a used set... so I didn't warp the housing too much. Gear set was quiet...so that is good. The Grizzly is locking hard every once in awhile... 2 times over the 30km test today. Definitely harder than the Detroit that was in my 44.

I had to go to an inverted T steering on the front instead of true crossover like it had. I'm not big on it but it seems to work good.

I will probably need an adjustable proportioning valve on the rear brakes as they are locking up before the fronts.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    Mccolls has the prop valve and it's nice to adjust the bias for proper braking. How does the quality look on the Grizzly? Thinking of one for the front 60 if I don't go ARB there as well.

Sent from iThingy
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

The grizzly looks good as far as visual quality of the material and machining.... but its strength is really all in the metallurgy of the materials used and only time will tell that story.

Operation wise, the hard locking has me wondering what is going on with it. The one time it locked up I just about took a trip into a ditch. That was within the first 3 KMs of running it. It hasn't done it since then so maybe it was just because the gear oil hadn't fully lubed it up yet.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    That is the nature of the beast. It's meant to deal with life in a truck with a 10,000+ lb GVW. Some 85-140 gear oil would cushion it a bit.

Sent from iThingy