Time Online: 5 Days 7 Hrs 41 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Secs

Axel advice needed

I'm looking at a couple of axles and need some advice on the following:

1-are they a good or bad buy and why?
    2-things to look for, problem spots
    3-how to ID them

And any info that will help.
    I plan on putting them under a cj7 frame so other info would be good to have, like what springs to use(will the CJ springs work ok?)

These is what I'm look at:

". 8 bolt 44 front 8 bolt 60 rear. Full time hubs. (no locking hub) fit Dodge trucks mid 70ís to 92.* They are not the old king pin type.* All shock and spring mounts are intact and the brake caliper mounts are still attached on the front. They have rims but the tires are very old and weather checked. (holding air still)
    The front dif is on passenger side. They roll around good and the differentials turn with no funny sounds. *No ratio tag so I do not know gearing but it was fairly low compared to the set that they were swapped out for. My friends dad wanted better millage and went to light weight axles. "
    Nothing but Love 4U Brother....Catman

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! Oops!

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 58 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 40 Secs
    I would definitely want more info like gear ratio if your not planning on swapping. And full time hubs brings the ghey, would need some work to swap out. Chances are shock and spring mounts would need to be moved, not that big of a deal if you can cut and weld. Personally i'd pass but that's just me. Unless by some freak chance they have a decent gear ratio. Then the work might be worth it. Goo shape with 4.56's i still wouldn't pay more then $300 maybe $400 depending. What's he want for them?

Just my 2 cents
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Time Online: 5 Days 7 Hrs 41 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 26 Secs
    "And full time hubs brings the ghey, would need some work to swap out."

Not sure what you mean here, please explain.

My dana 30 front and 44 rear,at the moment, are 3:54gears. so it can't be any worse than that. How can I check what they may be. I know its counting rotations or something like that.

As far as mounts, I know that they will need to be cut off and changed. That's OK. I have a passenger side drop and its really hard to find that in a 44. These at least have matching gears, but your right I need to figure out what they are.

Hes asking$550 for them. and I'm not in a hurry, if anything I'm happy with my present set up, if they are not worth it.

My frame will need to be replaced, so I 'm thinking that If I have another set of axles, I can build the new chassis and put my engine and body on the new in future.

Too much. This would be better. 60's, king pin, complete with rollers. Even has the slip in the front drive shaft. Retube with your tcase cv end. They do have the weird rims size but meh. And i'd pop the cover to make sure it's not a dana Dana 61. They sneaked some in that year. But that's just me. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ344368882[COLOR="Silver"]
    Last edited by Curt's_97; 01-13-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Days 13 Hrs 43 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 37 Secs
    Dana 61 are still usable, just a mater of using the right gear spacer if I remember correctly. For the right price it is still good for all of the front outer parts and shafts.
    Cigar chomper!

Youth, health and skill are no match for age, experience and treachery

Dana 60's do break when hitting stumps at 60kmh....

Yup, either way it's a ton better then that 44. Here's a little tech:

There was a a dana 60 spacer made by Reider that allowed you to run the lower ratio gear ie 4.56 and up. I believe this spacer was 5/8 thick. It required the 4.56 and up dana 60 carrier and the ring gear spacer to get the offset needed. This said spacer seems to be just a legend now and has been discontinued. However their still is the Mr. gasket dana 60 spacer (5/16 thickness) that just about every drivetrain company sells. This spacer is designed to allow you to run the 4.56 and up gears on a 4.10 and down carrier for a regular 60. This spacer does come into play but need not be confused w/ the legendary Rieder spacer, they are of different thickness.
    Alas there is a dana/spicer Dana 61- 3.33 and up carrier part# 706400x. This carrier is 2 3/4 tall. Where as the dana 60 4.56 and up carrier part# 706041x is 2 7/16 tall. So what combination do you need to run which gear ratio? If you have a dana 61 that has 3.07 gears in it and you want to run 3.33-4.30 gears, you will need to run the dana 61 3.33 and up carrier part# 706400x or the dana 60 4.56 and up carrier with a 5/16 ring gear spacer. This is popular for people who are trying to regear a 3.07 dodge cummins and the like front 61 that has a non overdrive auto, If you switch to a manual or to an oerdrive auto transmission, you will likely want some lower gearing that is how you get it.
    If you have a dana 61 with 3.33 or higher gear ratio all you need is a 5/16 ring gear spacer to run 4.56's and up.
    If you have a dana 61 with 3.07 gears and you want to go to 4.56 or numerically higher gear ratio you will need to purchase a dana 61 3.33 and up carrier part# 706400x and a 5/16 ring gear spacer to achieve the desired offset. Or have a 5/8 ring gear spacer custom machined. This is popular for the guys trying to score a cheap front or rear 60's and gear it for offroad use.