Thread: Shipping from the US? Cost calculator

My Mood
    Drunk
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 3 Hrs 8 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 8 Secs

Shipping from the US? Cost calculator

plug your #'s into this calculator and eliminate the shock when the UPS or FedEx guy comes knocking with a huge bill with your stuff.
    Last edited by biohazard; 01-26-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Jeff is a douche bag!
    KUSS
    Stupid Fukin Nature
    OF4WD# 2660

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 10 Hrs 5 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 58 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
    plug your #'s into this calculator and eliminate the shock when the UPS or FedEx guy comes knocking with a huge bill with your stuff.
    If only these fancy computer boxes could come up with a calc for the next time Kuss will have something wheelable

But when you factor in the time of dusting off parts that have sat for years, and his ever changing mind, along with "this is gonna be the winter" talk and its almost Feb, they don't stand a chance!

Time Online: 5 Mths 3 Wks 5 Days 23 Hrs 16 Mins 16 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 14 Mins 32 Secs
    Very cool....thanks for the post.

Brokerage fee, WTF....

Disbursement fee, now they're just bending us over.....

Just got my shippment of ebay through USPS, none of those fees thank you very much....snail mail still the best bet.

Just did my shipment on the link and it shows brokerage from usps, but I didn't pay any, weird.
    Last edited by Pav1; 01-26-2012 at 11:21 AM.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Wks 10 Hrs 5 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 58 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by pav1 View Post
    Very cool....thanks for the post.

Brokerage fee, WTF....

Disbursement fee, now they're just bending us over.....

Just got my shippment of ebay through USPS, none of those fees thank you very much....snail mail still the best bet.

Just did my shipment on the link and it shows brokerage from usps, but I didn't pay any, weird.
    Thats the biggest problem with a "calc"

Can be different every time on the same package contents

Has a lot to do with the paperwork when sent, labeling on the box, and the attitude of the person assessing charges. A preemptive strike by phone when its at or near boarder can help too

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 21 Hrs 3 Mins 29 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 53 Secs
    Number one rule.....

Never EVER have your stuff shipped UPS! Ordered a $60 part for my front ARB, wasn't given any other shipping option than UPS. $20 shipping and $40 brokerage fee payable upon delivery.

I always try to use the USPS option. Never any hidden fees.
    No current rig!

Member of:
    OF4WD #3737
    Jeep Company
    New Frontier

My Mood
    Amazed
    Time Online: 1 Mth 4 Wks 17 Hrs 49 Mins 12 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterBoy View Post
    Number one rule..... Never EVER have your stuff shipped UPS!
    x2 I ONLY buy stuff from the US (ebay, webstore, or mail order etc etc) if they ship via USPS.
    OF4WD MEMBER# 6656

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 28 Mins 55 Secs
    Found this interesting link on "self clearing" a UPS shipment.

Seems like it would be limited to some of the larger cities (mostly border towns in southern Ontario) based on locations of CBSA offices due to the need to visit both the CBSA office and the UPS destination holding warehouse.

Also, looks to be limited to shipments under $1600.

Also found this link to a PDF file outlining some of the fees charged by "UPS Customs Brokerage" which almost seems like it is setup as a separate company from UPS itself...looks like UPS contracts "UPS Customs Brokerage" to do all the paperwork...no wonder the charge so much, everybody has to get a cut.

Amongst various other charges and fees, looks like they charge a brokerage fee which covers preparation of customs paperwork and a "bond" fee for when they have to "front" the money to cover duties when the package comes in, on top of that they charge a C.O.D. fee for when they collect these charges upon delivery to your door or pick up at their destination warehouse.

If you go through self clearing you would still be required to pay any duties required on the shipment, but you would not have to pay the extra brokerage/bonding/C.O.D. fees UPS would charge you for doing the paperwork.

If anybody tries this method, please post up with your experience/findings...

Like others, I too try to get USPS as the shipping option, sometimes it is not possible...most of those times I choose to shop elsewhere.
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 23 Hrs 25 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 7 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterBoy View Post
    Number one rule.....

Never EVER have your stuff shipped UPS!
    I always try to use the USPS option. Never any hidden fees.
    I agree agree agree.

UPS has the worst customer service in the world. APPLE uses UPS quite a bit and I put in over 5 complaints regarding UPS over one order which shipped separately as available. The kicker was when after trying to get one shipment left with no signature which i was told was impossible the next piece was left on my doorstep all day and the driver forged my signature. APPLE claimed they require signatures and if it shows signed you have no legal recourse if it goes missing. UPS made up at least 7 different excuses regarding it including my neighbour signed for it. I don't know how my White boy name sounds anything like Singh or Aziz or any of my very not WASP neighbours. When questioned the driver couldn’t even remember the nationality / race of the person who signed for it or the vehicle in the driveway.

End result is UPS has rules that are non flexible under any circumstances unless they decide to change them for their own personal convenience. Fed Ex who on cost point I can’t afford if I am paying the shipping is stellar on customer service. They make it feel like you are the only shipment they have in the world that particular day.

USPS has never let me down. I just request that my shipments be USPS and have the person on the order desk put it into the shipping instructions and the order instructions. I tell them straight up if it ships by any other method that I may refuse the order and have it sent back and have my credit card company reverse the changes. I got burned by UPS on the whole brokerage when I got the “free shipping upgrade” from a US supplier. $35 worth of goods almost cost $90 by the time it arrived.

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 1 Wk 2 Days 11 Hrs 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 46 Secs
    I have my us purchases sent to CBI in Niagara Falls N/Y cost $5.00 and will take canadian at par go get them and cross the border they will send you in to pay 13% HST tax
    There are places in Port Huron to have items sent to if closer.
    most times worth the drive