Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hoistwagon

Hybrid View

Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 21 Hrs 47 Mins 34 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 18 Secs

The Hoistwagon

Right off the bat, this will be a slow build. I wish that wasn't the case but seeing as I am spending my winter/build time on course in Meaford, all I can do at the moment is buy/collect parts and think ahead in what little spare time I have. Once I finish up course in April I should be able to make some progress.

The whole idea of a project kicked off in November when I decided to start tracking down a set of axles to put in my 99 xj, the plan was to stick with leaves in the back, do a three link front, run beadlocked 37s, do some frame reinforcments and start thinking about a cage.

Here's the 99 before I got all the crazy ideas. (Looking tiny beside Josh's samurai)

Fortunately I seemed to have started looking for axles at the right time, as I found a set of 79 snowfighters almost right away.
    I went and picked them up and have been able to get a start on cleaning them up while I was home over Christmas.

While I was on the axle hunt and trying to plan out some of the other work, I was back and forth about going all out and taking the roof off. While I was debating this, a simpler solution came along, in the form of Stitch selling his chassis.

So the plan now is to do the build off this chassis, and some changes are in the works from my original plan. 37s just aren't gonna cut it anymore, so 40s are the new plan. With 40s goin in, the rear 60 is out and I'll be going to a 14b. The chassis is already set up for 3 link front and 4 link rear, so I'm not changing anything there. Motor, tranny and electronics will come out of my 99 once the 89 is ready to go, and the rest of it will get parted out/scrapped.

As I said, this will be a slow build, as I am completely tied up until the end of april, and after that I am not really sure where I'm gonna be living after that, so I'll have to roll with it. Just wanted to put this out there, and hopefully I can get on it asap. Any questions feel free to ask, although my internet access will be fairly limited over the next little while.

Matt

ps when you are trying to figure out how to move a bare chassis to a location with no way to unload it, ya gotta get creative
    Last edited by MattK; 02-05-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    The OG HOISTWAGON
    99 XJ, CT Motorsports built, Tons, 37" MTR/Ks, TMR 3-link and Beadlocks, CrewFab Cage and Bumpers, PSC full hydro

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 3 Days 16 Hrs 40 Mins 49 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 57 Secs
    Subscribed to watch the progress.
    Tri-City Jeep Club

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 33 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    Hopefully you can learn from some of the mistakes you've seen me make on mine brother.

One day both of our projects will be on the trail....that day will be awesome!
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

Just wanted to throw some more info here. A little more details that I forgot to put in the first post. Some things are definates, some are gonna depend on time/money/resources. The rear end is going to get pushed back a few inches to get a little bit more wheel base, and get the front of the rear tire out of the door frame. Moving the axle back is going to require moving the gas tank, so I'm weighing the options of raising the stock tank up farther than it already is into the storage box in the rear cargo area, or trying to fit a fuel cell in there. If the money is there, I'll be looking at coilovers or air, if not, I'll plan to move the spring perches and shocks back to accomodate the stretch. Same goes for the front, although no plans to move it forward any farther. Steering up front will be set up like the blueprint build, with a DOM draglink running to a passenger side highsteer arm and an aluminum tierod running on the factory steering arms with hydro assist. The suspension will be dom with johnnys at the axle end and rodends at the frame to match the existing brackets. T-case plans are up in the air right now, although I definately would like to get a little deeper lowrange than a stock 231, although, again, funds will dictate the options there.

As stated before, my hands are tied in terms of starting this thing for a little while, but hopefully I can get going with it asap. Either way I still have the 99 so if the progress is slow I'll still be able to run it this summer.

Also, a little explanation of the build name, it started with the original idea of building the 99, and was the direct response to everyone that says you can't/shouldn't build an xj
    Last edited by MattK; 02-19-2012 at 02:19 PM.

120 HARRY WALKER PKWY NORTH, UNIT 2, NEWMARKET ON
    Time Online: 2 Wks 23 Hrs 51 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 13 Secs
    Just thinking out loud here...would it not be less work to cage your '99 and put the axles under it? Seems like a lot less work than transferring everything over to the '89 shell.

TMR CUSTOMS - THE BRANDS YOU WANT FROM THE GUYS YOU TRUST!

120 Harry Walker Pkwy N, Newmarket ON, L3Y 7B2 - www.tmrcustoms.ca - 905 235 8671 - sales@tmrcustoms.com

My Mood
    Fine
    Time Online: 1 Mth 1 Wk 2 Days 18 Hrs 3 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 16 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by TMR Customs View Post
    Just thinking out loud here...would it not be less work to cage your '99 and put the axles under it? Seems like a lot less work than transferring everything over to the '89 shell.
    Hence the name Hatewagon? I like it. I never knew that Home Hardware handled chassis deliveries though - I'll keep that in mind
    Coley - 2010 JKU - Deep Water Blue
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ColeyLikesBacon

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 33 Mins 45 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 24 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by TMR Customs View Post
    We'll have to do an intervention.

I'll get the burlap sack and chloroform.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 11 Hrs 25 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 43 Mins 37 Secs

Re: Project Hatewagon

Going to have to swing by ct motorsports while it's on the hoist... Get my free preview
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

There's a pic on FB driz

Time Online: 5 Mths 6 Days 18 Mins 19 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 49 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberlake View Post
    There's a pic on FB driz
    i don't do facebook pls post pic's here ...

Don't have any good ones yet, just one of it on the hoist. As I get some build pics, I'll throw them up here.

My Mood
    Twisted

Man I have to log in to crack book? I think it's simpler to just drive to Ski's

Time Online: 1 Wk 6 Days 23 Hrs 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 8 Secs
    since you have ski building it for you who are you going to get to drive it for you
    91 Renagade
    frame replacement and more http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...91-yj-renagade

No help needed there, I'm plenty good at bouncing it off shit!

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 2 Hrs 1 Min 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 11 Mins 6 Secs
    Well since you have finally decided to come out of the closet and change your screen name but refuse to post awesome pictures I will bump your build thread up and one... xoxo

lol bout time you posted this George

My Mood
    Twisted

Poped into ct motorsports today for a steering box... Its still got square headlights... But it's also got nothing below the frame... Err body... Looks like progress to me.

perfect lol

I may be going by the shop on the weekend, I will snap some pics if I do.

10/4