Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Hoistwagon

Time Online: 2 Mths 4 Wks 21 Hrs 47 Mins 3 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 19 Secs
    This is definitely just a starting point, more will be added as time goes on. Including more triangles and a d pillar and associated stuff. What isn't obvious in the pics is the amount of work that went into making this cage a very solid foundation. The 2x6 rockers are tied to the frame and the cage is tied into that structure. The seats are also fully hard mounted and tied in.

As for the valley, I doubt it'll ever live there, although it may come visit...
    Last edited by MattK; 06-10-2014 at 11:14 AM.
    The OG HOISTWAGON
    99 XJ, CT Motorsports built, Tons, 37" MTR/Ks, TMR 3-link and Beadlocks, CrewFab Cage and Bumpers, PSC full hydro

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 4 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 29 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 25 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by BLSXJ View Post
    the cage needs more trianglation.
    PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR
    99 TJ, HPD60/14B, TMR Customs 3 and 4 link, 40's.

Project Sandstorm Remix

My Mood
    Aggressive
    The very elusive trail picture of the HOISTWAGEN:

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 44 Secs
    is this a new picture
    http://www.youtube.com/user/piratexpress1369a
    96 ZJ 4.0L 33x15 BFG'S

OF4WD#5926

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...sket+placement

IN LOVING MEMORY ..DAYKOTA
    PIRATES NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HIS BOAT..

Yupp. Wednesday on scoth.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    So because I think MattK may not be on here for a bit I feel I should update this with some unfortunate news. On Sunday after finishing guiding his trail at Camp NL XII the rear end of the Hoistwagen locked up. This slid it sideways and rolled it into a ditch on Crystal Lake Road. Thankfully because of the cage and five-points both Matt and his girlfriend were okay. No injuries at all!!! The same can't be said about the XJ. I spoke with Matt and his engine ingested some water from the ditch during the flip, also several windows were broken and the roof caved a bit into the cage. Hopefully Matt can get back on here and post up a more complete update and maybe some pics.

I have to say....glad you and Rachel are okay as that is the most important thing.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    So because I think MattK may not be on here for a bit I feel I should update this with some unfortunate news. On Sunday after finishing guiding his trail at Camp NL XII the rear end of the Hoistwagen locked up. This slid it sideways and rolled it into a ditch on Crystal Lake Road. Thankfully because of the cage and five-points both Matt and his girlfriend were okay. No injuries at all!!! The same can't be said about the XJ. I spoke with Matt and his engine ingested some water from the ditch during the flip, also several windows were broken and the roof caved a bit into the cage. Hopefully Matt can get back on here and post up a more complete update and maybe some pics.

I have to say....glad you and Rachel are okay as that is the most important thing.

My Mood
    Confused
    Time Online: 2 Yrs 1 Mth 3 Wks 3 Days 21 Hrs 34 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Hr 4 Mins 44 Secs
    glad that they are ok

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 48 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 45 Secs
    Guess it had enough triangulation.

Good to hear no injuries. Guess it's time for a BFH, some plexi's and an oil change
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

My Mood
    Amused
    Time Online: 2 Mths 11 Hrs 48 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 59 Secs
    Sad news. Glad to hear they are ok!
    Poster does not represent or warrant the the information accessible via this post is accurate or complete. Except as specifically stated on this post, neither rbjeepthing nor any of his affiliates, will be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of this post.

Time Online: 4 Mths 2 Days 20 Hrs 3 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 10 Mins 7 Secs
    Glad to hear everyone is ok!!
    It wouldnt have happened if it was a YJ
    Jokes jokes
    IM GOING TO FECAL IN YOUR GARDEN

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 12 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Glad everyone is okay. it sux when something like this happens to such a good project. but in the end it can be fixed or replaced, people can't be.

mind you I would be interested to see some pics.
    #20OF4WD#3476

"Will roll over for treats"

97 XJ on 36's (with a few mods)

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 13 Hrs 12 Mins 4 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 21 Secs
    Glad everyone is okay. it sux when something like this happens to such a good project. but in the end it can be fixed or replaced, people can't be.

mind you I would be interested to see some pics.

My Mood
    Blah
    Time Online: 3 Mths 2 Days 10 Hrs 5 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 7 Mins 37 Secs
    wow.... glad to hear everyone is ok. but like Mud-Pig said pix would help with the story
    a learning experience is one of those things that says, you know that thing you just did...don't do that again.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    His phone was submerged in the rollover as the ditch was partially filled with water. I doubt there will be any pictures for a bit. Everything is fixable but friends are not replaceable!
    I've got a grinder and a welder

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Time Online: 1 Wk 1 Day 13 Hrs 17 Mins 56 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 42 Secs
    Matt,

PM me if you need anything
    11 F150 tow rig/ DD
    87 Sami buggy
    99 XJ RIP
    91 XJ RIP
    86 CJ5 RIP

Hey guys thanks for the concern and well wishes. As Vince said, the cage, harnesses and seats all did their job in the accident and Rachel and I both walked away with nothing more than a few scrapes and bruises. I haven't gotten a real solid assessment of damage yet as I ran out of light on Sunday before I had to head back to petawawa. I did get the water blown out of the motor but ran out of time to get the oil changed and fired back up. This weekend I'll get that done and figure out what happened in the rear end to cause the accident. I said it on Facebook and I'll say it hear as well. If you are on the fence about spending the money on a cage, seats and harnesses, don't think about it, just do it. The safety equipment that just got installed made a huge difference. We all invest a huge amount of money in our trucks, please set some aside for personal safety gear.

So time for a little bit of updated info. Although I originally thought the motor was toast after the roll, it has lived to see another day! I think it may even be running better than it did before lol. The rear end has been torn down and the passenger side hub is being rebuilt with all new bearings, races and seals and we will be back in business. Went out to cut the doors off today but discovered a severe lack of appropriate cutting tools at the cottage so the tube doors will have to wait

So as of last update, it looked like the rear end, like the motor was going to come out intact. Mike and Steven from TMR and I had been up at the cottage working on it and got the hubs off and found the source of the failure. We had a race that didn't want to come off with the original tools we had available and we figured we'd get it sorted out the next weekend but we were wrong. No amount of cutting, heating, prying or pounding was getting that thing off the spindle. Cut all the way through to the spindle it was still not coming off. At this point the jeep was still in the middle of the lawn and needed to get into the garage before the weather got ugly. With no way to reattach the rear passenger wheel, it took some creativity, plywood and ratchet straps but it made it, slightly lopsided, into the garage.

At this point the decision had to be made, retube/respindle the 60, or do what I should have done in the first place and go 14 bolt. Given that the 60 is of somewhat unknown origin, and had already failed twice, it was a no brainer. Picked up my 14 bolt (which I have owned twice now…) last weekend from Jacob at Crewfab and Mike and I got to tearing it down this weekend. This thing is hands down, the cleanest, most well maintained 35 year old axle ever! For those who have spent hours grinding drum brakes apart on one of these, you know how significant it is that these slid right off!

The axle will get bracketed with all the same goods the 60 had plus a pinion guard and we'll be ready to slide it back under!
    Last edited by MattK; 11-30-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Time Online: 1 Day 22 Hrs 8 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Secs

Project Hatewagon

Progress looks great. Cage looks nice and tidy tucked in there.
    Last edited by sickcycle; 12-12-2014 at 10:29 AM.