Thread: Interior Overhaul

Time Online: 1 Wk 3 Days 9 Hrs 19 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 51 Secs

Interior Overhaul

Thought I would share the winter project and progress so far. Decided it was time to make do some interior upgrades on the Jeep. Started by removing everything inside, seats, console, amp & wires, and carpet. Then it was time to start sanding and doing to prep work for the spray on bed liner. Used 40 grit paper and scuffed up all the paint real well, spots that ended up in bare metal were hit with etch primer for better adhesion of the liner. I didn't like the spots around the two main drain plugs on the driver/passenget floor boards as there was just a little bit of rotting there. As I still wanted to have functioning drain plugs I decided to gring the metal out until it was solid, then cut and bent up some sheet metal to the shape of the floor in that spot, cut new holes for the drain plugs, and welded in the new steel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interior.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	871.6 KB 
ID:	76772

Name:	Interior4.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	714.1 KB 
ID:	76775

Used UPOL Raptor Liner kit with gun ($120 on ebay), liner went on great and left a great texture. Also sanded down the metal 'secure trunk' piece and hit that with the liner. As I'm sure most know, the prep work is everything....lots of sanding, shop-vac use, cleaning with cleaner, primer, etc.

Once the spray cured for about a week with the heather keeping the man cave at about 75 degrees, it was time to start putting in the new carpet. Ordered a new carpet from Stockinteriors.com for about $260 with the shipping, went with black instead of the factory grey. After unpacking carpet and letting it sit for a few days to reattain the mold it was installed in the Jeep, I could not believe how well the mold fit all the contours of the tub, only had to make a few cuts and minor trimming here and there. I discovered the greatest tool in the world for carpet install is a soldering iron, I used this to melt through the carpet/pile where holes needed to be made for bolts. Melting through the carpet is easier the punching holes and also melts the edges so no need to worry about the carpet fraying.

Attachment 76780

Name:	Interior12.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	76782

Once this was done it was time to install the new Corbeau Baja XRS seats, seat brackets, and 4 point harnesses I was so lucky to get for Christmas. I decided to go with a bolt in harness bar from Rockhard4X4 ($150). This stuff all went in quite easily, threw some paint and clear coat on the bar and bolted it in & attached the harnesses.

Name:	Interior19.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	76783

Name:	Interior30.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	991.6 KB 
ID:	76784

Name:	Interior32.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	994.7 KB 
ID:	76793

Name:	Interior33.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	669.1 KB 
ID:	76794

While I was at it I upgraded all the speakers as well. Dash went from the 4"X6" to 4" Hertz Energy 80W speakers, and the sound bar 5 1/4" speakers to new Hertz Energy 130W speakers. I decided to use my Phoenix Gold amp which previously ran my subwoofer to power the soundbar speakers (much louder now) and purchased a new Hertz HE 900W amp to run the new Hertz HiEnergy 10" sub. In the process of building a new box for sub that will fit in my 'secure trunk', I was told the old plastic bass tube would not be strong enough for the new sub. When this is completed I will post pics of new box.

Name:	Interior22.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	978.6 KB 
ID:	76795

Name:	Interior27.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1,009.0 KB 
ID:	76796

I am also waiting for LED bulbs from superbrightleds.com which i have ordered for the guage cluster, interior lights & 3rd brake light. Hope ya like the job so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Interior10.jpg  

Time Online: 5 Mths 19 Hrs 40 Mins 6 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 12 Mins 26 Secs
    Looks good.

How gritty is the U-Pol?

It's fairly gritty, it will depend on how far you keep the spray gun away from surface being coated with liner though. As I recall if you move gun farther away from surface, it becomes a more gritty. Once you start spraying it only takes a minute to find the texture you want and the distance needed for it.

Living out of Jeep between Toronto to Owen Sound
    My Mood
    Tired
    Time Online: 5 Mths 1 Wk 2 Days 12 Hrs 46 Mins 9 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 13 Mins 9 Secs
    Very clean. Nice work.

I do have to ask..... Do you wheel it or plan on wheeling it? I know I drive to Tim Hortons and I have mud and crud on me, my dash etc if I have the window down. I think I would cry with all that clean black carpet etc
    I'm not trying to be an ass or anything. It doesnt matter to me if you wheel as long as your not rolling on 20's with rubber bands for tires
    badass tj " Hey bro I would really like 2 grab tht rear end."

Time Online: 7 Mths 4 Days 31 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 17 Mins 38 Secs
    nice work!

ive been pleased with the durability of the raptor liner i sprayed in my work truck almost a year ago.

Time Online: 2 Mths 3 Wks 3 Days 12 Hrs 6 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 6 Mins 58 Secs
    Looks very nice and clean... I had the same question about whether you plan to wheel or not but does the carpet come out easy?
    Tri-City Jeep Club

I figured the carpet concern would arise....... haha. The Jeep is mostly road driven but will definitely see the trails, last year I only put 2400km on it after a total rebuild as it's not my DD. Fortunately the mold of the carpet is so good that it pretty much holds the floors of the Jeep on it's own. I used some 2 sided commercial velcro in a few spots and that is all. The carpet would honestly come out completely in just a few minutes if needed, I did it this way so that when time to hit the trails I can take it out prior. For the seats I plan to get the Corbeau seat covers to keep them clean when needed. Also have the husky liner matts that I still have to put back in.