Thread: 300C HEMI Engine Problem

Time Online: 9 Mths 5 Days 19 Hrs 48 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 22 Mins 45 Secs

300C HEMI Engine Problem

Need some help/ideas/input. Having a hell of a time trying to figure out what the problem is. I've searched here there and everywhere like a mad man. Stock 2006 300C. 53,000 miles on it. It fires up fine runs for a couple seconds then CLICK, DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA. After it sits or drives for say 5 minutes all is back to normal. Maybe sticky lifter/valve, roller guts turned, MDS Solenoid, ???. I'm getting a cylinder 1 misfire code P0301 and Coil? P2302. I started by changing the plugs and replaced the coil. No dice. Moved plugs, coils and injectors around. No dice. Did a compression test on 1, 3, 5 and they read about 175-180 on all. Pulled the valve cover to see if maybe a spring was broke or cracked. Nothing. Noticed the valve? or what ever is in the middle of the spring (cylinder 1) is rotated 90 degrees different rotation then all the others if that means anything? Didn't fire it with the valve cover off because i don't know the process and didn't want to mess anything up. Anyone had this issue or have any ideas. Thanks guys.

Cover off

Valve? in the middle of the spring on right has the notch horizontal as do the rest. Can't really see the notch on left but its located vertical

And a vid of the CLICK, DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA
    http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...t=7784f3c2.mp4
    97 TJ - The Build
    77 J10 - Death Proof
    11 SRT Challenger with some stuff
    05 Duramax

Time Online: 1 Mth 22 Hrs 49 Mins 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Mins 33 Secs
    I'm going to guess crank or cam sensor....
    Wave Killen' 4dr

OF4WD Member # 6449

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 2 Secs
    From the sounds of it it sound like a lifter that is bleeding down, bent pushrod or something like that. Since it goes away, collapsed lifter/ lifter bleeding down is my informal diagnosis.

I might try a bottle of Lucas in it. I know it sounds like snake oil but putting a bottle of Lucas in my old 360 did wonders for its rattles. If it goes away with the Lucas, I really think it is a lifter bleed down problem. If it doesn't, it could still be lifter problem.

keeping my eye on this thread as I have a hemi in my Ram.

And the notch you are talking about... I am assuming it is the valve spring retainers... and no their position shouldn't matter.
    Last edited by Sidepipes; 03-07-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 6 Days 1 Hr 14 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 4 Mins 7 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by mrduggit View Post
    I'm going to guess crank or cam sensor....
    I would think that it wouldn't even fire if the crank/cam sensors were faulty....
    Team Juggernaut - The Unstoppable Fire Dancer
    1999 TJ - RockCrusher 60's, Linked, 109" WB, Coilovers, 40" MT/R's, Atlas, PSC Cage, Armor.
    Down to one Jeep.....

powered by - CT MOTORSPORTS

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Time Online: 11 Mths 3 Wks 21 Hrs 35 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 29 Mins 1 Sec
    Hard to tell from the pic, but I am thinking the "valve" in the middle of the spring is a valve spring retainer and the "notch" is the split in the retainer as it is 2 piece...if so, I would think the alignment of it shouldn't affect anything...
    His ---> 04 LJ - 4.0L, Auto ɹnoɟ pɐǝɹʇǝɹ
    Hers ---> 75 Renegade Project - 304 V8, T15 3 speed uoıʇɐıɔossɐ ʎq pɐǝɹʇǝɹ

Yup, you guys are right. Valve spring retainer, no concern. My next thought after a fresh listen was that the clicking/snapping was coming from the MDS solenoid under the intake. Certainly sounded like it. Figured worst case scenario i'll have a $50 spare part i'd probably never need on the shelf. Little hookers are in there tight. Followed the only couple suggestions on the interweb and still broke the damn thing..........flush in the block. Some kussing, swearing, hogging a tap down the middle and reefing on it later the sumbitch popped out (pressurized) with vengeance. Swapped in the new one with a big bag of hopes and dreams and got kicked in the nuts. So all new plugs, a coil, an MDS solenoid, fresh synthetic and filter later she's still snapping and popping like a senior falling down a flight of stairs.

As Sidepipes mentioned and my original thought i believe it must be a lifter. I suspect a broken piece or more likely spun the guts of a lifter probably in one of the MDS ones. Never been deep into an engine so not real excited about all this.

So, now to figure out where this bastard goes

My Mood
    Twisted
    Time Online: 3 Wks 1 Day 8 Hrs 13 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 1 Min 50 Secs
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news but u have to pull the heads to get the lifters out
    rockin the 95 xj custom 4inch lift and 285/75/16 bfg mud terrain km2 and bds discos R.I.P

98 xj 4.0L 5spd 4.5" zone lift and m/t sidebiters looking for 33s

My Mood
    Stressed
    Time Online: 3 Mths 3 Wks 2 Days 12 Hrs 44 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 9 Mins 21 Secs
    This is going to sound strange, but there has been some issues with ticking sound in the hemi's that are in the rams and it is the EGR valve. Try disconnecting it and see if the ticking is still there.
    #20OF4WD#3476

"Will roll over for treats"

97 XJ on 36's (with a few mods)

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Time Online: 1 Mth 2 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 19 Mins 2 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 3 Mins 42 Secs
    It's pretty normal for the hemi motor. When I was hauling them brand new off the assembly line in Brampton every 5-6th car would tick for the first few seconds until the oil pressure built up. Once a week you would get one or 2 that would tick for longer and I always thought it was just a bleed down issue with sticky lifters. Sometimes the cars would be sitting in storage for months at a time and would be a bitch to start would run really shitty til everything was oiled up again. I know they smoke like a bitch after 6 months of sitting.
    I remember hauling an 06 car from Downsview airport (storage area) in early 08.

Just don't run the shit out of it until the tick dies down.

Sent from my iPhone, excuse the autocorrect.
    Last edited by Chrisbuilt; 03-13-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    83 CJ9 LS5.3/4L60E/231/B4R/D300, 8274,D60/14b,ARBs,15"airbags susp, 18"stretch 39"PITBULLS
    09 Nissan
    Ford F350 CrewCab Long box 4x4 TowPIG/dd 165"wheelbase

Quote Originally Posted by blown85xj View Post
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news but u have to pull the heads to get the lifters out
    Balls! Guess i better get a clean catch pan to save my antifreeze. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mud_Pig View Post
    This is going to sound strange, but there has been some issues with ticking sound in the hemi's that are in the rams and it is the EGR valve. Try disconnecting it and see if the ticking is still there.
    Hmmm, wouldn't that be a quick cheap pleasant surprise. Kind of doubtful but i'll give it a go before i start tearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisbuilt View Post
    It's pretty normal for the hemi motor. When I was hauling them brand new off the assembly line in Brampton every 5-6th car would tick for the first few seconds until the oil pressure built up. Once a week you would get one or 2 that would tick for longer and I always thought it was just a bleed down issue with sticky lifters. Sometimes the cars would be sitting in storage for months at a time and would be a bitch to start would run really shitty til everything was oiled up again. I know they smoke like a bitch after 6 months of sitting.
    I remember hauling an 06 car from Downsview airport (storage area) in early 08.

Just don't run the shit out of it until the tick dies down.

Sent from my iPhone, excuse the autocorrect.
    Seems 90+% of the googling i had done talked of the "don't worry it's a normal tick for these hemis". Sadly, this is definitely not the case.

Thanks guys, i'll let ya know how i make out.

My Mood
    Twisted
    ive never seen an egr cause ticking

Quote Originally Posted by Curt's_97 View Post
    more likely spun the guts of a lifter probably in one of the MDS ones.
    Winner winner chicken dinner. Not one but three of the 4 driver side MDS lifters spun. Grabbed front and rear yoke/rocker/roller/lifters for the drivers side. Purrs like a kitten now.

Big thanks to my buddy Bill for letting me steal some real estate at his shop, Speedway Corvette..................& Jeeps, and holding my hand ripping the head out. Figure i was in good hands when the guy builds 1000+ hp vettes all day. And now he got the bug and builds heeps. Muhahaha. FYI Bill's heep was the one recovering me on my roll who ended up on his side. Lmao. And now he's on tons.

One of the spun lifters

300 on the hoist beside a bunch of built caged up vettes, one with a $11,000 supercharger set-up. Holly hooker!

Thanks again buddy

Time Online: 6 Mths 2 Days 6 Hrs 16 Mins 41 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 15 Mins 2 Secs
    Didn't see this.... so the guts of the lifter spun?

Is the pin in the lifter what actuates the lifter, ie shuts it off for MDS?

Any of you Dodge Techs know if this is a common problem or is it just because Curt beats on the vehicle like a red headed step child?

My Mood
    Twisted
    ive seen that happen in a ram it sounded like the engine was gonna explode

Yup, guts of the MDS lifters spun. How they work exactly i couldn't really tell ya. I googled like a mad man and only found a comment or 2 on random forums which lead me to believe this must be the case. I can tell you there are like 700 on back order from chrysler and i had to drive to guelph for a front and downsview for a rear. I suspect the majority of people who would have this problem are probably the type to just take it to the dealer and get it sorted hense the lack of info out there but who knows. Anyway, driver side is fixed. Guess now i wait for the passenger side. lol

My Mood
    Inspired
    Time Online: 3 Days 15 Hrs 39 Mins 14 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 18 Secs
    the srt 6.1s are famous for them at under 20,000kms we had one that sounded like it was ready to blow up
    yj's are like pirates, they are nothing without a patch